X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Struja
    • Sep 2008

also see

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________
    FFA boss Frank Lowy prepared to pay $6 million to replace Pim Verbeek

By David Lewis
    June 14, 2010.

Football Federation Australia boss Frank Lowy is prepared to sanction a wallet-busting $6 million a year to land the right man to replace departing coach Pim Verbeek.

Dismayed by the poor calibre of applicants for the role of taking Australia to the 2011 Asian Cup in Qatar, and beyond it the bid to qualify for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil in the post-Verbeek era, Lowy and the FFA board have been forced to up the financial ante in the quest for a quality successor to the Dutchman.

Which means the $2.5m a year enjoyed by Verbeek - which ranks him eighth in terms of salary for managers at the World Cup - will have to be doubled, at the very least, if Australia is to get the best.

This new amount will see the Socceroos mentor earn a wage equal to that of the world's top-paid managers such as England's Fabio Capello and Italy's Marcello Lippi.

Privately, the panel appointed by Lowy and his chief executive Ben Buckley to oversee the search for a new coach has not been able to make inroads with any of world soccer's top tier, mainly because Australia's budget was too low.

The fact that Australia is also viewed as a second-tier nation has also played a part. One source close to the selection process said: "The reality is nobody of genuine calibre has stepped forward and that will only happen if the FFA stump up more cash.

"You need to remember that while Pim Verbeek got Australia to the World Cup and Asian Cup finals in his tenure, he was very much a second choice at short notice option after **** Advocaat decided at the last minute he didn't want the job.

"So far the people who have stepped forward are those who have struggled to get a job."

Verbeek, whose only senior coaching appointment before the Socceroos job came up was with South Korea at the 2007 Asian Cup finals, previously assisted Advocaat at UAE and Borussia Moenchengladbach and then Guus Hiddink at the 2002 World Cup as South Korea stormed to the semi-finals.

His exit to take on the mantle of technical director with Morocco next month has left the FFA scrambling for a replacement. Names like fellow Dutchman Leo Beenhakker, the former Polish national coach and current technical director at Feyenoord, have been mentioned without setting any pulses racing.

The names which do invoke genuine intrigue, those of Galatasaray duo Frank Rijkaard and Johan Neeskens were never genuinely interested in the option, nor was former Netherlands coach Marco Basten. All three were sounded out.

But with the FFA's loosening of the purse strings they will be better placed to approach top-line coaches after the World Cup.

Both Lowy and Buckley are in South Africa, mainly to lobby for votes to get Australia's 2022 World Cup hosting bid over the line, but sealing the deal with a successor for Verbeek is also high on the agenda.

Buckley said: "We know with the Asian Cup ahead we need to act with some haste but we won't be acting without diligence either. We've been talking to various parties and that process continues."

The silver-haired Beenhakker, 67, resembles the man from Havana in his ubiquitous white suits, and is considered a bland option by some on the FFA panel who are keen for a coach with more drive and dynamism.

He twice coached The Netherlands (1985-86 and 1990) and also had stints with Saudi Arabia (1993-94), then Trinidad and Tobago (2005-06) before three years in charge of Poland, parting company in 2009.

His resume at club level also reads well with stints at Real Madrid twice (1986-89 and 1992) and Dutch heavyweight Ajax (1979-81 and 1989-91).

Italy coach Nevio Scala, former Tottenham Hotspur boss Martin Jol and Frenchman Philippe Troussier have also been linked to the job.

One man already in place is former Adelaide United coach Aurleio Vidmar, who will be one of the assistants for the new boss.

Vidmar is dreaming of a time when an Australian will coach the national team, but admits that could still be 10 years away.
    Last edited by Struja; 06-16-2010, 07:49 AM.

Comment

• Spartan
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Warrior View Post
      Germany will no doubt make it to the next round but that is where they will stop.
      Care to place a wager on that?
      How about the winner chooses the losers avatar for a couple weeks?
      what do you say Warrior?

Comment

• Prolet
        • Sep 2009

There is a saying, "you can play as good as the opposition allows you to play". Australia made these Germans to be "mighty".
        Well Said Warrior i agree

I dont think Australia needs a coach like Rijkaard, infact i dont think they should be considering a Dutch coach theres already been enough, i think Verbeek has ruined their reputation to be honest.

Postocoglou is the same as Mirsad Jonuz, both coaches failed miserably coaching the Junior sides.
        МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Prolet
          • Sep 2009

Spain-Switzerland

Spain has 78% of the possession, i've never seen a side dominate the ball so much.

Spain is a top side, i like them.

Chile-Honduras was one of the better games before that, it finished 1-0 to Chile.
          МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Spartan
            • Sep 2008

Wass just going to post the same thing about Spain... they look very good...a little lacking on the final ball up to this point, but still, they 'hide' it from their opposition very well.
            Their passing game is ridiculous....definitely a favorite to win the whole thing.
            Last edited by Spartan; 06-16-2010, 09:25 AM.

Comment

• Jankovska
              • Sep 2008

I personally think this world cup has few surprises. The countries that every expected to do so well are not doing very well
              Italy
              England
              Spain (first half)
              Brazil
              Germany and Holland are the only ones that have lived up to their reputation

Comment

• Bill77
                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Prolet View Post
                Spain-Switzerland

Spain has 78% of the possession, i've never seen a side dominate the ball so much.

Spain is a top side, i like them.

Chile-Honduras was one of the better games before that, it finished 1-0 to Chile.
                The only Person that will score for Spain is Tores. And that won't happen as long as he sits on the bench.
                http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Prolet
                  • Sep 2009

Its scary how they play, its like a strengthen version of Barca i think they can break down any defense. Anders Iniesta should probably check himself to hospital with the matter of times he's been kicked or knocked over, but the good players always cop a hiding dont they...

Comment

• Bill77
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Jankovska View Post
                    I personally think this world cup has few surprises. The countries that every expected to do so well are not doing very well
                    Italy
                    England
                    Spain (first half)
                    Brazil
                    Germany always do well on round one games. 1990 they beat Yugoslavia 4-1 .......in 94 they won 2-0.......I think it was 2002 they won 8-0 now the aussies 4-0 .

Knowing the history of the German rd 1s ....I knew the aussies were gone as soon as the draws were anounced. But good news for Australia is in 90 or could have been 86 when Yugoslavia lost 1-4 to west Germany Yugoslavia still qualified infact they whent as far as the semis I think if my memory serves me correct

Comment

• Serdarot
                      • Feb 2010

the degeneric Spain got owned, me so happy

they are strong team, nothing against them, and to be honest, they deserve to qualify for the 1/8 finals, but i simply "hate" (despise) each nation that have such things as bullfighting in their tradition...

very "brave", slaughtering helpless animals...

f..k spain
                      Last edited by Serdarot; 06-16-2010, 11:51 AM.
                      Bratot:
                      Никој не е вечен, а каузава не е нова само е адаптирана на новите услови и ќе се пренесува и понатаму.

Comment

• Prolet
                        • Sep 2009

Serdarot, Spain and Macedonia share the same colors, Red and Yellow.

I would classify their game as a beautiful loss, they played so well just failed to score and this happens in football but one thing Spain shouldnt wary about is their current form. How about Anders Iniesta who got hammered every time he touched the ball, he had to get subbed off in the end.

Comment

• Serdarot
                          • Feb 2010

as i said, they deserve to qualify to the next round, couse the football they played was classes better than most of what iīve saw till now on this WC.

also the colour thing.. it has itīs grounds, but more about that subject on history some day when i am in mood to write who were the people who ruled Al-Andaluz and other parts of Spains for centuries, where they came from, who were their ancestors, etc

but i still despise them couse of the bullfighting thing
                          Bratot:
                          Никој не е вечен, а каузава не е нова само е адаптирана на новите услови и ќе се пренесува и понатаму.

Comment

• Spartan
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Jankovska View Post
                            Italy
                            England
                            Spain (first half)
                            Brazil
                            Agree, although I did expect more nfrom the Dutch.
                            Originally posted by Prolet View Post
                            I would classify their game as a beautiful loss, they played so well just failed to score and this happens in football.
                            Agreed, Spainj did everything but score.
                            All underdogs, and so called 'weaker' teams should take note of how the Swiss played today....thats how you win when you are outmatched.

@Bill

Agree on Torres...if he was 100%....the thing is he is coming off an injury, and that was probably why he started on the bench....Warrior would know better, he a big Scowser fan if im not mistaken.

Also, is there a reason why Fabregas wasnt subbed into the game?
                            Surely he could of helped...his speciaslty is unlocking defences of teams who play 10 men behind the ball.

Anyways, bravo to the Swiss...good on them.

Comment

• Bill77
                              • Oct 2009

@ Spartan

I have no dought Torress was destined to come on and score until I opened my mouth and jinxed him. LOL

What's the story with Ces fabrigas? Is he part of the squad.

I still think Spain will reach the final. But then again, ithe chaces have deteriarated now that I opened my mouth. LOL

Comment

• Spartan
                                • Sep 2008

Well, if they finish second, they match up with brazils group, and will most likely play them in the round of 16.

I was sure Torres would score too...I rate him higher than Villa
                                As for Cesc, cant for the life of me figure out why he didnt play if he was healthy.

He injured his leg at the end of the year for Arsenal, but I was under the impression he was fit for the WC....

Comment

Working...
                                X