X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Bad Sven
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
    There's a popular sporting adage that is used here in Australia amongst the followers of Australian Rules Football that has meaning to every sporting event...it goes something like this..."on any given day any team can win".

It largely describes the possibility that a really shithouse team can cause an upset victory over a far more credible and deserving opponent...

There's a no more truthful nor more lucid example of this saying than that to describe the 'playing above their ability' achievements of the 'greeks' in pinching a Euro title.

Like most aberrations of this nature the joy is often fleeting while the reality is a long, bitterly cold winter of perpetuation...
    Very true my friend, the Czechs were easily the best side and certainly more skillfull then the boring "greeks". Hellass just fluked that win, which is obvious when you look at Greases poor record at the world cup. From what i understand Grease still hasnt scored a goal ever in a world cup LOL

What a farce

I really enjoyed watching Sth Korea V Grease. It was great seeing the young and fast koreans playing a exciting and fast game - unlike the boring old washed up "greeks" who play their trademark cynical, defensive and boring gameplan. Its the equivalent to those borng afl sides that just flood all day in my opinion.

Grease will be the most boring team to watch in this world cup, but it will still be very enjoyable seeing grease just fall apart and their team mates fight with each other They do it every time they are in the world cup

Comment

• Warrior
      • Jan 2010

Only couple of hours away from the match between Oz and Germany and Serbia has been beaten by Ghana, which i think it is great result for Oz. Prolet you must be dissapointed as you predicted big things from the Serbs. Once they lost to NZ they should not have bothered going to the WC. Mentally they ruptured as a team.

I guess the other suprise is the US, even though the goal was lucky they did not deserve to lose that match. I was in LA in May and went to the baseball and happen to sit to a guy that was full on into football and i asked what do you think of the US chances at the WC. His response to my astonishment was that he expects them to win it but at the very least make the SF. I thought to myself, typical American arrogance but as we continued talking he had his reasons such as young talented team of home grown players that would fight for the US colors. Afterall his comments dont look too silly, but i still dont think they will get to the SF, but certainly they have the capability to spring some suprises...The rest of the results have been fairly predicatable. Cmoon Ozzzzziessss, lets do a massive suprise and smash those arrogant Germans..........

Comment

• Warrior
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Prolet View Post
        Jankovska, But he cheated on his wife remember? Drugi zheni giba.
        Prolet sakas ti da gibnesh nesto tugo??

Comment

• Prolet
          • Sep 2009

Warrior, Ghana is coached by a Serbian Coach who refused to celebrate the win, either way it was a good game the Serbs fell short tonight but i'd rather the Aussies beat Germany, the arrogant Germans should cop it me thinks

Warrior, To tell you the truth i dont like how the Serbs play, they rely far too much on Zigic who cant always deliver as he is not a big time player. Its brought the group wide open now and unless the Serbs change their game plan in a short period i think they will be bundled out of the tournament, how about them Slovenci who beat Algeria 1-0 ?

Tugjoto e po ubo ali sekoj pat kratko trae.
          МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Spartan
            • Sep 2008

What a terrible performance that was from Greece, i see no creativeness no will no desire to score.

Spartan, Whats your opinion on this match?
            They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so ill save myself from writing out a long post....

Personally, I didnt expect greece to do anything in this world cup.
            The team consists of the coaches personal favorites ...over the hill, has beens, with o desire..... would have rather fielded our U-21 team.

Anyways, for a country with such little football pedigree, Im just happy to be there amongst the 32.
            Last edited by Spartan; 06-13-2010, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• fatso
              • Sep 2008

What a terrible performance that was from Greece, i see no creativeness no will no desire to score.

Spartan, Whats your opinion on this match?
              This team is a disaster. With so much youthful talent Otto is still relying on players from 2004 EURO Championship.

Nigeria will destroy Greece 3 -0.

Comment

• Spartan
                • Sep 2008

^^Argentina even worse....if they need the game....
                And yes, Otto has definitely lost the plot.....but if you followed the qualifiers over the last 2 years, you could see this coming a mile away.... infighting has also plagued the team....
                We've reverted back to the greece of the 80s and 90s since 2006
                The team played excellent, and to the best of their ability from 2000-2005....been downhill ever since

Im not shocked in the least by the result of the first game, and i expect more of the same in the next 2....
                Last edited by Spartan; 06-13-2010, 06:37 PM.

Comment

• Prolet
                  • Sep 2009

Spartan, The team is slow too, it heavily relies on set pieces and crosses which is not much of a weapon to score a goal. Georgios Samaras seems to be trying but to no avail.

Germany is up 1-0, Lucas Podolski just scored

Whats Verbeek thinking, he is playing with Garcia upfront no Josh Kennedy or Harry Kewell in the starting lineup.
                  МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Spartan
                    • Sep 2008

yes prolet...the team is slow
                    As for the set pieces...worked well for us in 2004, but i agree that it should not be a teams primary weapon for producing goals.

Looks like the germans are giving the socceroos a thorough lesson in fotballing thus far....
                    Last edited by Spartan; 06-13-2010, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• Prolet
                      • Sep 2009

Verbeek is playing Cahill far to forward and Garcia is hardly a threat, i cant believe that Kewell and Kennedy are on the bench. The Germans are a well equipped unit, i just cant see this Aussie Attack breaking down the Germans not at this rate. The two Polish players scored for Germany again, thats typical of them.

The good news about this will be to see the back of Verbeek, he's gotten away with such poor football lately and after this world cup i can only hope Australia finds a more suitable coach like Guus Hiddink who for me is a master coach and we saw the difference with him in charge. I can only hope the players can bounce back and get results out of Ghana and Serbia.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                        • Jan 2009

I have a strange feeling that England will not advance forward and will be eliminated in their group. The US will most likely advance to the next round and will eventually be knocked out. Personally I don't like overrated teams like England. So I was happy that the US tied them up and ruined their chances of getting a win.
                        Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Phoenix
                          • Dec 2008

Verbeek is playing Cahill far to forward and Garcia is hardly a threat, i cant believe that Kewell and Kennedy are on the bench. The Germans are a well equipped unit, i just cant see this Aussie Attack breaking down the Germans not at this rate. The two Polish players scored for Germany again, thats typical of them.

The good news about this will be to see the back of Verbeek, he's gotten away with such poor football lately and after this world cup i can only hope Australia finds a more suitable coach like Guus Hiddink who for me is a master coach and we saw the difference with him in charge. I can only hope the players can bounce back and get results out of Ghana and Serbia.
                          I think Kennedy should have started especially with Emerton playing...

Comment

• Spartan
                            • Sep 2008

RC cahill....brutal challenge....I agree with the decision

The germans are playing like the germans......excellent display of football....no shame in losing to a squad playing at this level....

Comment

• Spartan
                              • Sep 2008

4-0 Germany
                              what a display, theyre making it look easy.

Comment

• Phoenix
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
                                4-0 Germany
                                what a display, theyre making it look easy.
                                The Australians are making the greeks look like world champions...

Comment

Working...
                                X