X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vicsinad
    • May 2011

Rebels of Modernity

Just another travel article, I guess. But there is something in it that goes along the lines with how I feel about the state of affairs in Macedonia and the world. And it saddens me. This sums it up:

Perched on a newly emptied beehive box, amid the chickens and dogs, Chris Gasovski, 76, says he likes the quiet and simplicity of Maloviste. But the 20th century has exacted a toll on his town, he admits. The wars. The lure of cities. The young people moving away. The town’s fresco-filled Sveti Petka Cathedral once held 1,000 people on Sundays but is now empty of parishioners. The local school is closed. “It’s dying. There are only 100 people left,” Gasovski says. “In 20 years, it’ll be gone.” Gasovski’s 93-year-old, one-toothed father, Jovan – the village’s oldest resident – nods stoically at his son’s translated words.
    Here in this obscure corner of southeast Europe, where conquerors like Alexander the Great have come and gone for millenniums, the land beyond Ohrid is now…
  • Alex_MK
    • Apr 2014

Why don't you head on out then? I'm sure the locals will welcome you with open arms.

Comment

• sydney
      • Sep 2008

Hey Vic, thanks for the post. If I'm not mistaken this is most likely the Maloviste below Pelister, a traditionally Vlach village. Many of the villages 'under Pelister' are in the same state.

I have no concrete ideas about how this can change. It's a shame the modern big-city culture of buying organic and supporting a lower carbon footprint is not something the villages of Macedonia can monetize. Also, the population is too small and not evolved enough for a significant 'tree change' to occur whereby workers escape the rat race to live in the 'country'. And maybe there's the problem - as always - a lack of employment opportunities to create the willingness for people to remain in the villages (or one day return).

Comment

• vicsinad
        • May 2011

Originally posted by Alex_MK View Post
        Why don't you head on out then? I'm sure the locals will welcome you with open arms.
        Are you being sincere?

Comment

• vicsinad
          • May 2011

Originally posted by sydney View Post
          Hey Vic, thanks for the post. If I'm not mistaken this is most likely the Maloviste below Pelister, a traditionally Vlach village. Many of the villages 'under Pelister' are in the same state.

I have no concrete ideas about how this can change. It's a shame the modern big-city culture of buying organic and supporting a lower carbon footprint is not something the villages of Macedonia can monetize. Also, the population is too small and not evolved enough for a significant 'tree change' to occur whereby workers escape the rat race to live in the 'country'. And maybe there's the problem - as always - a lack of employment opportunities to create the willingness for people to remain in the villages (or one day return).
          Yes, it is that village. The article got it wrong and called them a subgroup of the Roma.

I think most people don't want to go back to an agrarian or agricultural lifestyle. Therein is the defeat of the traditional village lifestyle.

Comment

• Vangelovski
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Alex_MK View Post
            I think Victor already walks the talk in relation to rural living.
            If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Gocka
              • Dec 2012

Do you have to ask?
              Originally posted by vicsinad View Post
              Are you being sincere?

On a more serious note, I also agree. In fact I was just having a similar conversation with my brother. The problem is in most places around the world its no longer possible. You can live on your land and grow your own food, probably even make your own electricity and get your own water, but you still need at least some form of income for everything else. Things like internet, television, any house hold supplies like toilet paper, cleaning supplies. Things you can't easily make yourself like clothing. What about property tax, and health care? All of which cost money.

Industrial farming has made your small local farmer obsolete and noncompetitive. Otherwise there would be nothing wrong with working the land for your own needs and selling any excess to buy other essentials.

Comment

• Philosopher
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
                On a more serious note, I also agree. In fact I was just having a similar conversation with my brother. The problem is in most places around the world its no longer possible. You can live on your land and grow your own food, probably even make your own electricity and get your own water, but you still need at least some form of income for everything else.
                This is actually extremely discouraged today in some part of the world. In fact, fines and citations awaits people in some areas of the world who try to live like this.

Originally posted by Gocka
                Industrial farming has made your small local farmer obsolete and noncompetitive. Otherwise there would be nothing wrong with working the land for your own needs and selling any excess to buy other essentials.
                Industrial farming is an absolute failure. It is toxic to the environment, it produces toxic food, insanitary conditions, and slave labor. Locally grown organic food is superior, and I would argue that affluent countries, who for years prized the value of industrialization and processed refined foods (white bread), are now moving towards local, organic, and whole foods. This is the future.

I think people who own lands in Macedonia and elsewhere would be wise to capitalize on this growing social movement. Local farms with local clean produce is where the future is. The modernity lifestyle is collapsing, and will collapse.

I often think how fortunate people are for having large farming lands in Macedonia. Unfortunately, the younger generations are abandoning farm lands in favor of the cities. This is a serious mistake. People who live in warmer climates (like Cyprus, Crete, southern Spain, Sicily) are even more fortunate, as they have a much longer growing cycle.

Comment

• vicsinad
                  • May 2011

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
                  I think Victor already walks the talk in relation to rural living.
                  Thanks, I try. I would go to Macedonia if at least some of my family would go. Tough decision.

Comment

• vicsinad
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post
                    This is actually extremely discouraged today in some part of the world. In fact, fines and citations awaits people in some areas of the world who try to live like this.

Industrial farming is an absolute failure. It is toxic to the environment, it produces toxic food, insanitary conditions, and slave labor. Locally grown organic food is superior, and I would argue that affluent countries, who for years prized the value of industrialization and processed refined foods (white bread), are now moving towards local, organic, and whole foods. This is the future.

I think people who own lands in Macedonia and elsewhere would be wise to capitalize on this growing social movement. Local farms with local clean produce is where the future is. The modernity lifestyle is collapsing, and will collapse.

I often think how fortunate people are for having large farming lands in Macedonia. Unfortunately, the younger generations are abandoning farm lands in favor of the cities. This is a serious mistake. People who live in warmer climates (like Cyprus, Crete, southern Spain, Sicily) are even more fortunate, as they have a much longer growing cycle.
                    This pretty much sums it up.

Comment

• George S.
                      • Aug 2009

That's for sure on the farming in Macedonia.There simply is no body around they have all deserted the villages.No one wants to work they all want the easy life.Look where its got Greece.
                      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Gocka
                        • Dec 2012

Unfortunately even "organic" farming is on its way to becoming industrialized. Growers are slowly backing away from the more controversial things that people don't like and moving toward so called organic farming. If you do some research even the organic stuff at your local market is grown by the same company that the regular stuff is.

Do you guys know that it is illegal to buy unpasteurized Milk in most of the US? I wanted to make some cheese, and unpasteurized fresh milk is best, and then I find out that there are huge fines if a farm sells you unpasteurized milk.

Where I live its illegal to install a pump to try and get ground water. You have to get city water. Apparently even though you buy land, you pay hefty tax on land you don't actually own the land, you own only the first foot of land (about 25 centimeters), anything deeper is still owned by the municipality. Think about how freaking absurd that it.

Comment

• Philosopher
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
                          Unfortunately even "organic" farming is on its way to becoming industrialized. Growers are slowly backing away from the more controversial things that people don't like and moving toward so called organic farming. If you do some research even the organic stuff at your local market is grown by the same company that the regular stuff is.
                          This is true, but I would a few qualifiers. There are organic only companies, but clearly the current trend is large agricultural businesses are adopting organic to compete in the growing organic marketplace.

Second, yes organic farming is becoming industrialized, but I think the organic standards are becoming less stringent for animal based foods (meat, milk, etc) than fruits and vegetables. This is most unfortunate.

Another problem is that, depending on where you live, it may take one week for produce to get to the store from the growers. Nutrients are lost in this process.

This is why it is always best to own your own land and grow foods according to your own standards. And this is why the trend of leaving the land for the city is proving to be a disaster.

This is the healthiest food of all.

Property ownership is critical and owning land for farming and livestock is extremely critical.

Do you guys know that it is illegal to buy unpasteurized Milk in most of the US? I wanted to make some cheese, and unpasteurized fresh milk is best, and then I find out that there are huge fines if a farm sells you unpasteurized milk.
                          Unfortunately, this is true. There are some loopholes in some states, but not many. Free country, right?

Where I live its illegal to install a pump to try and get ground water. You have to get city water. Apparently even though you buy land, you pay hefty tax on land you don't actually own the land, you own only the first foot of land (about 25 centimeters), anything deeper is still owned by the municipality. Think about how freaking absurd that it.
                          You don't even own the land. Think about it. Why would you have to pay property tax on your own land? It's because it is not your land, it is the government's.

America is a delusional country (along with most of the first world).

Comment

• George S.
                            • Aug 2009

Why are they not pasterising milk??
                            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
                            X