X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vicsinad
    • May 2011

How to Preserve the Macedonian Spirit?

I was reading Krste Missirkov's 'On Macedonian Matters' and other works the other day, and here is a quote by him that struck me and that I think most of us can relate to:

"The feeling and the realization that I am a Macedonian should matter far more to me than anything else in the world...A deep and boundless love towards Macedonia, constant thought and work devoted to the interests of Macedonia, and the determination to conserve fully the Macedonian spirit -- our language, folk poetry, life and customs -- these are the fundamental traits of Macedonian nationalism as expressed in the "simple-minded thinking" of a man "who still does not know his own nationality."" (He wrote this in response to criticism of not knowing who he is by Bulgars and Serbs).

This quote can be analyzed, discussed and praised for many days, but I think I want to focus on the question: What are we doing, and what more can we do as individuals, and as a community (living in many different communities), to protect, promote and live the Macedonian spirit; and what is being done, and what more can be done, to devote ourselves to the interests of Macedonia? Finally, how can we do this?

Here are some examples:
    -Post more on this forum
    -Get a better grasp of the Macedonian language
    -Help with minority rights work (AMHRC/MHRI)
    -Be more involved in your local Macedonian church community
    -Play and/or listen to (and really appreciate) Macedonian traditional music
    -Start a new political movement
    -learn to cook/bake traditional Macedonian food

What do y'all think?
  • sydney
    • Sep 2008

Great post! The Misirkov references are perfect for the topic.

All the points you mention are valid. I think language is very important and would underscore all other initiatives. The other key point is to be involved in Macedonian sporting or recreational organisations. For me, this was a massive influence in 'becoming more Macedonian'.

Comment

• makedonche
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by vicsinad View Post
      I was reading Krste Missirkov's 'On Macedonian Matters' and other works the other day, and here is a quote by him that struck me and that I think most of us can relate to:

"The feeling and the realization that I am a Macedonian should matter far more to me than anything else in the world...A deep and boundless love towards Macedonia, constant thought and work devoted to the interests of Macedonia, and the determination to conserve fully the Macedonian spirit -- our language, folk poetry, life and customs -- these are the fundamental traits of Macedonian nationalism as expressed in the "simple-minded thinking" of a man "who still does not know his own nationality."" (He wrote this in response to criticism of not knowing who he is by Bulgars and Serbs).

This quote can be analyzed, discussed and praised for many days, but I think I want to focus on the question: What are we doing, and what more can we do as individuals, and as a community (living in many different communities), to protect, promote and live the Macedonian spirit; and what is being done, and what more can be done, to devote ourselves to the interests of Macedonia? Finally, how can we do this?

Here are some examples:
      -Post more on this forum
      -Get a better grasp of the Macedonian language
      -Help with minority rights work (AMHRC/MHRI)
      -Be more involved in your local Macedonian church community
      -Play and/or listen to (and really appreciate) Macedonian traditional music
      -Start a new political movement
      -learn to cook/bake traditional Macedonian food

What do y'all think?
      Vic
      Great idea!
      On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• vicsinad
        • May 2011

Thanks!

Originally posted by sydney View Post
        All the points you mention are valid. I think language is very important and would underscore all other initiatives. The other key point is to be involved in Macedonian sporting or recreational organisations. For me, this was a massive influence in 'becoming more Macedonian'.
        You're right -- language does underscore everything. And sporting/recreational opportunities are good too. I feel like y'all in Australia have a little more organized community regarding types of Macedonian activities to do than we in the US.

Comment

• George S.
          • Aug 2009

look around for examples of real Macedonians.Have a rapore.follow the examples and set examples.You only have to look at fine examples here people like dedicated to the cause like som,rtg etc on the net.You may be one.Don't keep your thoughts to yourselves share them and tell us how you feel.After all you are Macedonian.Use the language to the fullest.Show what decent Macedonians think.Also stand up for your rights ,fight for freedom and what is right.
          "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
          X