X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sydney
    • Sep 2008

Use of the word "Babo" in Greece

It appears the word "Babo" is considered part of the tragedian landscape in Greece, referring to an old woman.

I thought this was an interesting article which gives context around the use of Babo:

http://greece.greekreporter.com/2015...rthern-greece/

Gynaecocracy Day in Serres, Northern Greece

The gynaecocracy custom was revived today in Serres, northern Greece, in the villages of Monoklisia and Nea Petra. Gynaecocracy Day, also called the custom of “Babo,” has its roots in ancient Greece while it is also a distant recall of the primitive period’s matriarchal spirit, which was obvious in the religion of people from Asia Minor since the Prehistoric period.

The custom used to take place in Thrace, it was transferred however to Serres when Thracians moved in the region. Every year, on January 8, women assume a dominant role. They receive the town keys, they have fun, dance and drink all day, while the men remain in their homes and take on the housewife role.

The married women elect a chairwoman, whose term of office lasts four years. Then they elect the rest of the female Board members. Furthermore, they honor the village’s oldest woman, also called “Babo.”

At noon, the married women walk through the village streets, accompanied by musical instruments, and then gather in the main square. They visit Babo’s home and offer her gifts and receive her wishes for longevity and fertility.

Men are not allowed to walk in the streets or approach women. If someone dares to approach them, then the women chase him and throw water at him. In the end, they take the man’s clothes and auction them.

Thousands of visitors visit the area on the day to enjoy the traditional food, wine and music. Meanwhile, many male politicians are usually present but they are forced to wear a scarf on their head and an apron.
  • VMRO
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by sydney View Post
    It appears the word "Babo" is considered part of the tragedian landscape in Greece, referring to an old woman.

I thought this was an interesting article which gives context around the use of Babo:
    Baba in Greek is Daddy, it means the same in Turkish.
    Verata vo Mislite, VMRO vo dushata, Makedonia vo Srceto.

Vnatreshna Makedonska Revolucionerna Organizacija.

Comment

• sydney
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by VMRO View Post
      Yes, I always found it funny when hanging out with Greek friends.

I'm more interested to learn why the use of Babo for an old woman. It reminds me of how Anastasia Karakasidou illustrated the ongoing use of 'teto' - to refer to an aunt - in areas of Aegean Macedonia that now possess a Greek national consciousness.

Comment

• Big Bad Sven
        • Jan 2009

My friends from Bosnia and Sandzak (muslims) use the word 'Babo' to call their father. I thought the turks would use the same?

Comment

• Volokin
          • Apr 2014

Bosnian as a language is know for it's use of Turkish loanwords.

Do find it weird that Baba is the complete opposite in Macedonian and Serbo-Croatian, would be an interesting history behind it.

Comment

• VMRO
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Big Bad Sven View Post
            My friends from Bosnia and Sandzak (muslims) use the word 'Babo' to call their father. I thought the turks would use the same?

Gypsies as well from Macedonia.
            Verata vo Mislite, VMRO vo dushata, Makedonia vo Srceto.

Vnatreshna Makedonska Revolucionerna Organizacija.

Comment

• George S.
              • Aug 2009

I noticed the indonesians abd other asians call them baba for father
              "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Amphipolis
                Banned
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by VMRO View Post
                Originally posted by sydney View Post
                Yes, I always found it funny when hanging out with Greek friends.

I'm more interested to learn why the use of Babo for an old woman. It reminds me of how Anastasia Karakasidou illustrated the ongoing use of 'teto' - to refer to an aunt - in areas of Aegean Macedonia that now possess a Greek national consciousness.
                In Greece we use:
                babas (dad), babakas (daddy), pateras (father)
                mama (mom), mamaka (mommy), metera (mother)

Babogria & Babogeros are indeed funny, derisive terms meaning very-very old & ugly oldwoman & oldman.

I've never heard of teto being used.

Comment

• DedoAleko
                  • Jun 2009

In my family, (internally) we never used the word "Baba".
                  My father's mother, we called "Nana", my mother's mom we called "Majche", and the woman married with my grandfather's brother we called "Babec".
                  God rest their souls

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                    • Sep 2008

Greeks, Albanians and Bosniaks inherited 'Baba' (father / dad) from the Turks, who previously inherited it from the Arabs after they (Turks) became Muslims. If Greeks also use 'Babo' (grandmother) in the Macedonian and Thracian regions then it is due to Macedonian and Bulgarian influence.
                    Originally posted by DedoAleko View Post
                    In my family, (internally) we never used the word "Baba".
                    My father's mother, we called "Nana", my mother's mom we called "Majche", and the woman married with my grandfather's brother we called "Babec".
                    God rest their souls
                    That's interesting DA. Where in Macedonia does your family hail from?
                    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• lavce pelagonski
                      • Nov 2009

Dedo would nana be the same as nene (Turkish )
                      Стравот на Атина од овој Македонец одел до таму што го нарекле „Страшниот Чакаларов“ „гркоубиец“ и „крвожеден комитаџија“.

„Ако знам дека тука тече една капка грчка крв, јас сега би ја отсекол целата рака и би ја фрлил в море.“ Васил Чакаларов

Comment

• DedoAleko
                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                        ...That's interesting DA. Where in Macedonia does your family hail from?
                        One of my grandmothers (Nana) is with very old Strumica origin, the other grandmother (Majche) is born in Strumica with partial Krushevo lineage and the one we called Babec had origin from Bogdanci.
                        I also remember my mother telling me that they used to call their grandmother "Stara Mama".

edit. Forgot to add that my mother used to call my grandfather's brother,from my fathers side, Chiko (Чико) and his wife China (Чина).
                        Last edited by DedoAleko; 01-11-2015, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• Niko777
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by DedoAleko View Post
                          One of my grandmothers (Nana) is with very old Strumica origin, the other grandmother (Majche) is born in Strumica with partial Krushevo lineage and the one we called Babec had origin from Bogdanci.
                          I also remember my mother telling me that they used to call their grandmother "Stara Mama".

edit. Forgot to add that my mother used to call my grandfather's brother,from my fathers side, Chiko (Чико) and his wife China (Чина).
                          Someone in my family also told me that they used to call their grandmother "stara majka".

Comment

• Niko777
                            • Oct 2010

The gynaecocracy custom was revived today in Serres, northern Greece, in the villages of Monoklisia and Nea Petra. Gynaecocracy Day, also called the custom of “Babo,” has its roots in ancient Greece while it is also a distant recall of the primitive period’s matriarchal spirit, which was obvious in the religion of people from Asia Minor since the Prehistoric period.
                            They'll write anything just to avoid saying that "babo" is Macedonian.

Also want to add that it's interesting that in some areas in Aegean Macedonia, the Christmas custom of "koleda" is actually called "koleda babo".
                            Last edited by Niko777; 01-12-2015, 09:54 PM.

Comment

• Dejan
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Niko777 View Post
                              Also want to add that it's interesting that in some areas in Aegean Macedonia, the Christmas custom of "koleda" is actually called "koleda babo".
                              I thought that was just lyrics from a song about kolede
                              You want Macedonia? Come and take it from my blood!

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

Working...
                              X