Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • julie
    • May 2009

“If scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims.”

― Dalai Lama XIV, The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality
    "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
      Science cannot prove or disprove the existence of God and hence it cannot prove or disprove whether scientific knowledge is the most reliable knowledge about the natural world.
      RELIABLE: consistently good in quality or performance; able to be trusted.
      KNOWLEDGE: facts, information, and skills acquired through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject.

Are you suggesting theological knowledge is better than scientific knowledge in terms of reliability in understanding the natural world?

I can feel a 16th century fit coming on.
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• spitfire
        Banned
        • Aug 2014

Tell us more about "evolutionary" medicine (my head nodding again with a look of curiosity on my face)...
        No. From now on I will charge my services.

Have you looked up the recurrent laryngeal nerve? How do you expect to go any further? What you are asking is next year's curriculum. You are still in Kindergarten.

It is important to do research on your own. Don't expect everything to be served on a plate. You are not learning this way.

Start with the first video, five in total. You 're on your own now.

Intelligent Design (1): The Human Body | Richard Dawkins & Randolph Nesse - YouTube

Comment

• Vangelovski
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
          RELIABLE: consistently good in quality or performance; able to be trusted.
          KNOWLEDGE: facts, information, and skills acquired through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject.

Are you suggesting theological knowledge is better than scientific knowledge in terms of reliability in understanding the natural world?
          Only partly. If you can show me how the scientific method would be able to determine the origin of life I'd be very interested. If you don't respond, I'll assume you didn't think your comment through before posting and have since reconsidered your own position.

What I would be even more interested in is if you can prove the assumption that scientific knowledge is the most reliable knowledge we have about the natural world - if indeed you also mean the history of the natural world.

I can feel a 16th century fit coming on.
          Those you claim to disapprove of attacking the person rather than the argument should lead by example. Especially those who claim they are perfect.
          Last edited by Vangelovski; 11-18-2014, 09:37 PM.
          If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Vangelovski
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by spitfire View Post
            No.
            I'll just assume they didn't teach you that in Greek history, which last I heard, encompasses everything including the stars above the 12 Apostles.
            If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• spitfire
              Banned
              • Aug 2014

I'll just assume they didn't teach you that in Greek history, which last I heard, encompasses everything including the stars above the 12 Apostles.
              That's the next step downwards in the way of persuasion. Trying to degrade the validity of something by exaggerating something that is hardly a fact. It's not in the curriculum just to let you know.

I 'm always ahead. Do you want to know the next step on your technique of persuasion?
              Naaaah, I prefer you show it to us.
              Last edited by spitfire; 11-18-2014, 09:50 PM.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                • Sep 2008

That's the next step downwards in the way of persuasion. Trying to degrade the validity of something by exaggerating something that is hardly a fact. It's not in the curriculum just to let you know.

I 'm always ahead. Do you want to know the next step on your technique of persuasion?
                Naaaah, I prefer you show it to us.
                Tell us more about how there are no assumptions in the speed of light theory or how all of the assumptions have been scientifically proven.

Can you draw a picture as well?

Comment

• spitfire
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2014

Tell us more about how there are no assumptions in the speed of light theory or how all of the assumptions have been scientifically proven.

Can you draw a picture as well?
                  Why would I need to tell you more since I already told you about the supernova? That's free of charge since it's repetition.

If we see a supernova now, this means that the supernova exploded sometime in the past. Because the light of the explosion took time in order to reach us.

Again, you are neglecting fundamental laws. You are very confused indeed.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                    • Sep 2008

Why would I need to tell you more since I already told you about the supernova? That's free of charge since it's repetition.
                    I was amazed by your reasoning with the supernova, but I mean't these specific assumptions noted in the article below:

Comment

• spitfire
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2014

I was amazed by your reasoning with the supernova, but I mean't these specific assumptions noted in the article below:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic..._of_light.html
                      You asked about the number of assumptions.

The lucky numbers are 6, 17, 23, 25, 33, 41 and 12.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                        • Sep 2008

You asked about the number of assumptions.

The lucky numbers are 6, 17, 23, 25, 33, 41 and 12.
                        And you said you couldn't be bothered counting them but claimed that they had all been scientifically proven.

Can you provide anything to demonstrate your claim that these assumptions have now been scientifically proven?

Comment

• Risto the Great
                          • Sep 2008

Only partly. If you can show me how the scientific method would be able to determine the origin of life I'd be very interested. If you don't respond, I'll assume you didn't think your comment through before posting and have since reconsidered your own position.

What I would be even more interested in is if you can prove the assumption that scientific knowledge is the most reliable knowledge we have about the natural world - if indeed you also mean the history of the natural world.

Those you claim to disapprove of attacking the person rather than the argument should lead by example. Especially those who claim they are perfect.
                          So you are saying the bible explains the natural world partly better than science does? What is the other part you rely on?

Galileo had to deal with his heresies in the 16th century. It seems science has been embraced by "most" since then.

Did you introduce "history of the natural world" as the topic now?

If I was attacking you, I would have said other things.
                          Risto the Great
                          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• spitfire
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2014

And you said you couldn't be bothered counting them but claimed that they had all been scientifically proven.

Can you provide anything to demonstrate your claim that these assumptions have now been scientifically proven?
                            No you misunderstood. I was giving you the lottery numbers based on assumption.

The link didn't work but I'd still not be bothered even if it worked.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                              • Sep 2008

So you are saying the bible explains the natural world partly better than science does? What is the other part you rely on?

Galileo had to deal with his heresies in the 16th century. It seems science has been embraced by "most" since then.

Did you introduce "history of the natural world" as the topic now?
                              I was hoping you could prove the statement that scientific knowledge is the most reliable knowledge we have about the natural world - if indeed you also mean the history of the natural world.

PROVE: to establish the truth or genuineness of, as by evidence or argument.

(interesting method of debate).

If I was attacking you, I would have said other things.
                              For someone who claims personal perfection, that was enough.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                                • Sep 2008

The link didn't work but I'd still not be bothered even if it worked.
                                I know. Its probably because you would see things that would ruin your faith in science that no scientist holds.

Comment

Working...
                                X