• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Acoustic guitar threat from the east

What an interesting time.

I really do love my Martin acoustic guitar, but I hate leaving it around the house (outside of its case). So I started looking for a decent cheapie guitar that I can just leave lying around and beat rogue Greeks over the head with and strum whenever the inclination arises.

Many Japanese guitars were considered unbelievable value in the 70's and based on copies of Martins and Gibsons. They matured into desirable/sought after guitars in more recent times (with prices reacting accordingly).

Anyway, I have come across so many wonderfully made acoustic guitars made in China, Korea and Indonesia lately.

I have one guitar called a "Breedlove" which is a beautifully manufactured instrument that has its head office and manufacturing plant in USA but also a cheaper line manufactured in Korea. Engelmann spruce top, solid rosewood back and the most wonderful tone imaginable. I got it for hundreds of dollars.

I have another one from a manufacturer called "Recording King", these are so cheap but punch way above their weight. If you see one around, give it a strum and tell me what you think. I bought an all solid one of their dreadnoughts for about $350 and it sounds terrific.

Asians are people too. They know how to work with wood. A number of these manufacturers are working under very strict supervision of master luthiers and it is showing.

People often like to romanticise the manufacturing process of their beloved products. I tell my wife about my Italian shoes being made by a couple of elderly craftsmen who go to the local piazza at lunch time and chase all the young girls.

I recall a (now famous) pickup winder at Fender guitars who is a Mexican woman. I suspect people wouldn't have been too excited to learn this 30 years ago. Either way, the end product is what counts.

So, anyway, if you are looking for a great guitar for a cheap price ... Look to the EAST! Mind you, not all of them are the same, but at least audition them.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com
  • Dejan
    • Sep 2008

Would love to learn to play one. Any advice on how/where to start?
    You want Macedonia? Come and take it from my blood!

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

Learn the open chord locations, then the barre chords.
      Then Chiche Youtube will teach you almost any song you enjoy listening to!

Totally good for the brain and spirit!
      Risto the Great

Comment

• George S.
        • Aug 2009

check with phoenix he was going to learn to play one.
        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Phoenix
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by George S. View Post
          check with phoenix he was going to learn to play one.
          I love my Martin, unfortunately the 'love' is flowing only one way at the moment

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
            I love my Martin, unfortunately the 'love' is flowing only one way at the moment
            Only a matter of time before it shows the love. On the other hand, I am enjoying a ukulele at the moment and can't wipe the smile off my face. Stupid thing really.
            Risto the Great

Comment

• Redsun
              • Jul 2013

I will consider this next time... I have been thinking about a bash around guitar for sometime now. I'm very careful with mine, it would be nice to have some cheap thing that I'm not too attached to that I can take out anywhere. Its not a good idea to take them out in summer, in Australia the sun will warp it.

Comment

• Phoenix
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                Only a matter of time before it shows the love. On the other hand, I am enjoying a ukulele at the moment and can't wipe the smile off my face. Stupid thing really.
                Fark me...you sound like the Imelda Marcos of stringed instruments...

Comment

• George S.
                  • Aug 2009

Imelda marcos had 100,000 pair of shoes imagine the foot odour.
                  Hey phoenix have you considered marrying your guitar you could have it videoed & put it on youtube.I heard some guy married his dog.y(ou know I'm not serious kidding)
                  "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                  GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Risto the Great
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                    Fark me...you sound like the Imelda Marcos of stringed instruments...
                    ummm, yeah. Around 20 guitars and the same number of amplifiers. But my recording equipment is actually very unique and highly sought after. Better than shares to be honest.

Clearly I have a problem but almost all the stuff I buy is collectable. No harm done.
                    Risto the Great

Comment

• George S.
                      • Aug 2009

rftg are we talking tube amplifiers .They say the sound is better (warmer)or transistors.Or transistors and chips???????????????????????IF you got the tubes kind isn't it hard getting the tubes in this day & age they cost a fortune.
                      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

Yes, definitely. I have even made a few tube/valve guitar amplifiers. They sound so much better. Though the digital modelling amps are quite amazing now. Axe FX comes to mind.

There are some decent tubes coming out of China as well as parts of Europe. They are cheap. Not military grade Mullard or Telefunken, but certainly functional.
                        Risto the Great

Comment

• George S.
                          • Aug 2009

I can just imagine music with your guitar ,"makedonsko devojce kitka sharena"' there must be other songs.
                          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                            • Aug 2009

i was just clearing out the junk in the garage when i saw an acoustic guitar.I thought i would need the guitar I met this blind installer his son was wanting to start learning the guitar,so i gave it away.It was complete in everyway with strings etc.He thanked me for it & said he doesn't need to buy one.So its a worthwhile donation.If you find one sitting in a garage gathering dust you could give it to the younger generation.I've had people over the years giving me wurlitzers made in germany etc i have had to decline as i'm not into music.
                            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
                            X