X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Ancestral fears

Marcus Pembrey, emeritus professor of paediatric genetics, and Dr Nessa Carey, author of The Epigenetics Revolution, discuss a new study into ancestral fear in rats.

Rat study shows ancestral fear 'causes brain changes'

2 December 2013 Last updated at 12:54 GMT

A new study published in Nature Neuroscience has shown that rats taught to fear a certain smell could pass that fear onto their offspring.

Marcus Pembrey, emeritus professor of paediatric genetics, says it has implications for our understanding of the "nature versus nurture" debate.

Prof Pembrey told the Today programme "sperm can carry information about the ancestral environment or experiences, in this case the conditioning shocks of the grandfather."

"Not only was the sensitivity to this very particular smell passed on to the son and the grandson…but also the changes in the brain, these particular receptors for that smell were passed on," he added.

Dr Nessa Carey, author of The Epigenetics Revolution, said this inheritance "is potentially quite useful in evolutionary terms."

"If you are a rat, it is handy to know that a fox is likely to kill you…before you actually encounter a fox," he added, "the likelihood is that something like this is also happening to some extent in humans. We have data on this from the Dutch hunger period during the second world war."
    Goes 2 generations. Perhaps the RoMacedonians can be less sheepy next generation.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

looks like with Macedonians it could take a long time before something clicks in them or they react by revolutionary methods.2decades for us is not a long time ,that has come & gone we are still in a sleep.
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
    X