• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vangelovski
    • Sep 2008

Greek Organisation Copies AMHRC Campaign

Greek Campaign Over Macedonia Has Familiar Look

A campaign by Greek diaspora organizations, urging Athens to halt UN talks with Macedonia over its name, has borrowed the slogan of an earlier campaign by Macedonian diaspora organizations and turned it on its head.

The Greek campaign, which uses the logo “Who Gave You the Right to Negotiate My Name?”, is supported by the Independent Greek Network and the Hellenic-American National Council.

It is also endorsed by the Hellenic Electronic Center, the Hellenic Congress of Quebec, the Movement for Freedom & Justice in Cyprus and the Australian Macedonian Advisory Council.

If it has a very familiar look to it, it is because it is exactly mirrors the slogan of a campaign launched by Macedonian diaspora organizations in 2010, which also ran under the motto “Who Gave You the Right to Negotiate My Name?”

The new campaign criticises the Greek government for offering a compromise name for its northern neighbour that includes the word Macedonia as a geographical qualifier.

It counsels against any possible compound name for Macedonia as a solution to the long-standing "name" dispute, arguing that it betrays Greek interests.

“Consent to a compound name entails the sell-out of our national heritage. It entails consent to Skopjan [Greek derogatory term for Macedonia] irredentism. It entails high treason,” the advert says.

The campaigners say they “will not be fooled” by placing geographical qualifiers, such as "North", "Upper" or "Vardar" before the name "Macedonia".

"North Macedonia" implies there is also a "South" one. "Upper Macedonia” implies there is a "Lower" one, the advert says.

The campaign encourages supporters to send emails urging a halt to UN-sponsored talks to the Greek Prime Minister and Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Despite repeated recommendations by the European Commission to start EU accession talks, Macedonia has never been offered a date to begin EU talks, or join NATO, owing to a Greek blockade related to the dispute over its name.

Greece insists that Macedonia’s name implies territorial claims to its own northern province, also called Macedonia. Macedonia denies this.

The latest UN effort to find a solution to the dispute came last month, ahead of a European Council meeting in December, when EU enlargement and Macedonia's own accession process will again be discussed.

The Macedonian campaign of 2010, using the same slogan, also demanding a halt to UN talks, was launched by the Macedonian Human Rights Movement International and the Australian Macedonian Human Rights Committee, both diaspora organizations.

As part of the campaign, adverts and billboards appeared in every major Macedonian town and a video commercial was aired on national television.

http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/arti...ors-macedonian

They're actually doing us a favour. If the idiot Macedonians can't end the negotiations, maybe the Greeks will mess up and end them by mistake.
    If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams
  • Phoenix
    • Dec 2008

...those 'usurpers' at the AMHRC will never get away with it, the entire Western World knows that the 'greeks' have been running that campaign continuously for the last 4000 years.

Comment

• George S.
      • Aug 2009

4000 years of greek history when the greeks have been on the greek peninsular for half of that.It's full of lies & distortions of history at its highest levels.How can the greeks explain that the Macedonians are an unrelated race to the greeksWhen the greeks arrived more than 2000 years ago the Macedonians were there already,since time immemorial with their own alphabet & language no wonder it was babble to the greeks they never understood Macedonian.No wonder the greeks will try at anything & falsificate anything to suit themselves hardly new but surprising.Who is stealing which history.THey are and they are trying to break off their name talks what a joke.I thought the name issue was a problem to them that's why its supposed to be an issue albeit one sided as its not a Macedonian issue.
      Last edited by George S.; 11-21-2013, 09:59 PM.
      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• iceman
        • Sep 2008

What name ? The name is not theirs in the first place . Its very clear to me that they don't want to admit that they are "Greek" settlers who have been dumped in the occupied territories of Macedonia 1913 onwards. Just because your born as a "Greek" settler in the the occupied territories of Macedonia 1913 onwards doesn't make them Macedonian's. They're still settlers . I don't see Jewish settlers born in Palestinian lands calling themselves "Palestinians" do you? or even more absurdly " Jewish Palestinians" and then claiming its a new nation or ethnicity ?

The Macedonian government must start referring to them as " Greek" settlers and demand them stop using the Macedonian name for propaganda purposes. When you publicly start referring to these idiots who have no real ethnicity , and are good at stealing history and lands that don't belong to them , and that is calling them what they are :settlers in the occupied territories then everyone will be openly and clearly be educated about the whole situation . The Macedonian government cannot keep quiet any more , they are currently looking and making themselves as fools. This stupid negotiations must cease immediately
        Last edited by iceman; 11-23-2013, 05:31 AM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

I said it before. The Greek mantra is "if you can't beat them, be them."

Thieves.
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Stojacanec
            • Dec 2009

Thats because they have nothing original to say.

Comment

• Redsun
              • Jul 2013

Not just that, see they never had an empire. They never covered half the distance and territories Macedonia had.

If they steal our name, then they will claim that they had an empire.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                • Sep 2008

What a pack of thieving morons. Not that anybody should be surprised.
                In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

Working...
                X