• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Macedonian Sun
    • Oct 2009

Emmigrating to Macedonia

Hi people,

I was wondering if anyone on the forum has had any direct experience or knows of the options/processes of emmigrating to Macedonia? I've sent the embassy in canberra an e-mail requesting information but I thought I'd here also if anyone has any knowledge on the matter. I'm looking to leave Australia within 4-5 years. I'm married to a Macedonian citizen and both my parents were born in Macedonia.

If anyones got any useful info I would love to hear from you.

Thanks
  • makedonche
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Macedonian Sun View Post
    Hi people,

I was wondering if anyone on the forum has had any direct experience or knows of the options/processes of emmigrating to Macedonia? I've sent the embassy in canberra an e-mail requesting information but I thought I'd here also if anyone has any knowledge on the matter. I'm looking to leave Australia within 4-5 years. I'm married to a Macedonian citizen and both my parents were born in Macedonia.

If anyones got any useful info I would love to hear from you.

Thanks
    Macedonian Sun
    Learn to speak Albanian!
    On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Macedonian Sun
      • Oct 2009

Please dont shit in my thread.

Any serious answers welcome.

Comment

• George S.
        • Aug 2009

The macedonian embassy should be able to help you ie getting macedonian passports etc.
        I don't see any problem there.Which part of macedonia are you going to??Also If i can ask will you have a job to go to in macedonia ?
        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Macedonian Sun
          • Oct 2009

I'll be living in Radovis, south east Macedonia. By the time I leave I wont have to work if I dont want to. However my intention is to return to Australia 3-4 months a year and work. I work offshore so the moneys good, even 3 months work will be enough for 5 years of good living.

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

If that's what you want to do why not.A couple months here & a couple months there like in semi retirement.If you stay in the village atmosphere maybe a bit of pottering this & that if it suits you.I can't see you going wrong there.I think we all want to that sort of thing but commitments,familyetc.Some of us need the get up a go attitude.I think with the living ,working you got it made.People have allways said to me from rom.You people in the diaspora know how to make money but you don't know how to spend it they say spend it in the homeland.So live it up while you can.I can tell you funny things(seriously) are happening to this country (australia).You look at the great sell off we are all going to be a third world country(australia) i hope not.Macedonia has got recognition problems,sovereignity etcsome day it is going to be independent but when?
            All i can say you are doing the right thing.Any decent minded macedonian doesn't want to stay in the diaspora forever only due to commitments but we all have it in our hearts do do the very thing you are doing.Cheers.Speaking for myself i'd love to do the six moths here & six months there.If i'm financially secure i could do that.
            Last edited by George S.; 08-01-2013, 06:33 AM.
            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Gocka
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Macedonian Sun View Post
              I'll be living in Radovis, south east Macedonia. By the time I leave I wont have to work if I dont want to. However my intention is to return to Australia 3-4 months a year and work. I work offshore so the moneys good, even 3 months work will be enough for 5 years of good living.
              I am moving sooner then you, 1-2 years, and I have already lived there for prolonged times so I can give you some ins and outs of daily life, or some basic living costs. I was born there so I already had citizenship but I have a close cousin who was born in the US and wanted to give Macedonian citizenship. The process was not very difficult, but he did it in Macedonia so I'm not sure if you can start the process from abroad. You just have to apply, he was eligible on the ground that his parents were born in Macedonia. This was about 5 years ago, they didn't even ask him for proof that his parents were Macedonian citizens, it may be a little stricter now but I doubt it. At most you will need birth certificates from one of your parents.

What do you want to know specifically?

Comment

• Macedonian Sun
                • Oct 2009

Thanks for the encouragement Gocka. I'm actually australian born so not real diaspora hehe. I 've done 2, 3 month visits in the last 5 years and I really enjoyed myself there. I'm quite familiar with cost of living, hell I organised and had my wedding there last year, nothing beats a macedonian wedding, can anyone say vesela? Beside my immediate family, mum, bro and 1 cousin, all my family is there.

I suppose I want to know if the maco govt will provide me citizenship based on heritage and marriage. I haven't heard of anyone here in oz doing it and a previous enquiry with the embassy gave my a negative response. But i've read about other people getting citizenship as you've just confirmed so thats why I'm looking for any info i can get.

So where are you living at the moment? Where will you live when you go back??

Oh and George, thanks to you to mate. And by the way Radovis isn't a village, theres 17000 people there! Lol.
                Last edited by Macedonian Sun; 08-01-2013, 06:44 AM.

Comment

• George S.
                  • Aug 2009

MS if the embassy doesn't play ball can you get a passport through your relos in macedonia.If you had the wedding in macedonia you will have had the registration in the church.Vechajne) Also you probably had your civil marriage in macedonia?if you did all the more to get your realatives to get you your passport for you.You are married to a macedonian & your parents were macedonian?etc i think a direct application.The embassy
                  doesnt know a thing.In bulgaria you can buy yor passport even if you are not a citizen.THe rom govt should be begging you to become a citizen.You are macedonian by parentage & you desrve to be by marriage.Krfta e makedonska)
                  GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Macedonian Sun
                    • Oct 2009

Well thats what I would expect! I did the church thing but not the civil part with the maticar, I think thats what it was called. I'm hoping for something useful from the embassy here but if not I will get my people in Maco to chase it up from that end.

Surely its possible, if for example we after we got married i wanted to stay in macedonia, they wouldn't kick me out and seperate me from my wife! Well, I'll keep digging anyway, maybe see if i can download an application. Cheers

Comment

• The LION will ROAR
                      • Jan 2009

Macedonian Sun, easiest way is do it when you get there..
                      I become a Macedonian citizen there because it was quicker and easier to get married as a Macedonian to a Macedonian girl instead as an Aussie to a Macedonian..
                      All I had to provide was both my parents birth certificate as they were both born there.. an a bonus I had their wedding certificate which helped aswell..all done in one day.. once you have that you basically become Automatically a Macedonian citizen .....too easy...
                      It's nice to see Many young Macedonians going back to live there..
                      That's my goal eventually.. live here and there...
                      The Macedonians originates it, the Bulgarians imitate it and the Greeks exploit it!

Comment

• Macedonian Sun
                        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by The LION will ROAR View Post
                        Macedonian Sun, easiest way is do it when you get there..
                        I become a Macedonian citizen there because it was quicker and easier to get married as a Macedonian to a Macedonian girl instead as an Aussie to a Macedonian..
                        All I had to provide was both my parents birth certificate as they were both born there.. an a bonus I had their wedding certificate which helped aswell..all done in one day.. once you have that you basically become Automatically a Macedonian citizen .....too easy...
                        It's nice to see Many young Macedonians going back to live there..
                        That's my goal eventually.. live here and there...
                        Yeah well it might be too late for that for me as we've been back in oz and I got married as a foreigner there. So did they give you a passport etc while you where there? Damn if I had known that I woulda grabbed it! Lol i'm not so young mate, 34, but hope to be living there by 38-39, closer to middle age eh?

I think its a fantastic idea, live in the motherland and have the opportunity to work in oz if you want. not just in economic terms is it a huge win but being with family and being in europe is a fantastic thing. My in laws and their family are some of the nicest, loveliest people I've ever met, and they live together. Who can say that here? In Australia you dont even know who lives next door! Another great thing is our kids can get aussie passports so if they wanna study here in future or even live here they'll have that option. I just cant see any real negatives.

I'm well aware of some of the negatives of maco, poor infrastructure outside of skopje, slow and lame government services etc, but they dont outweigh the benefits in my opinion.

Life in Australia is the epitomy of rat race, always thinking of something in the future, obsessed with moving forward or making more money, cost of living becoming stupid and out of touch with everyday people.
                        So where would you live TLWR?

Comment

• The LION will ROAR
                          • Jan 2009

Didn't get a passport, maybe my next trip 2014..still not sure if I want one at the moment...
                          I could live there permanently and live like a king and never work again...BUT I choose to live here which means I have to work.. not sure if you call that a sucker...lol

I'd move to Bitola if I was to live there...
                          The Macedonians originates it, the Bulgarians imitate it and the Greeks exploit it!

Comment

• Macedonian Sun
                            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by The LION will ROAR View Post
                            Didn't get a passport, maybe my next trip 2014..still not sure if I want one at the moment...
                            I could live there permanently and live like a king and never work again...BUT I choose to live here which means I have to work.. not sure if you call that a sucker...lol

I'd move to Bitola if I was to live there...
                            Thats just the thing, you never have to work again! I cant imagine that happening here in a hurry lol. Well you wont be a sucker, its a choice, if you're happy with everything here I guess theres no reason to leave. Me personally, dont want to work to 67 and then retire rooted from working for 50 years!

I think it is a fantastic opportunity and my wife will be over the moon too, happy wife = happy life lol. Its a big change but it has to be done for me, I can always come back and pick up wher'e I left off.

I've been to bitola, my wife studied in the visoka skola za medicin, lab analyst. Loved the character of the place, probably the nicest city in maco in a different way to ohrid, love that place!

Comment

• George S.
                              • Aug 2009

MS the last place you would expect to put obstacles in the country that you think you should be a citizen.Perhaps If you say you are one of the minorities you got a better chance.Look at the way therefugees come to australia throwing their passports away & australia giving them instant citizenship & benefits.It's a joke australia panders to un policies etc too much.
                              Whereas in macedonia they can't recognise a simple thing like blood connected relatives as citizens automatically.Macedonia in reality doesn't care about its macedonian diaspora.That is undeniable fact it has said it in their constitution that it will not worry about macedonians accross its borders greece et all has made sure of it.No wonder,
                              Look at the way greece does recognize the greek citizens born overseas & automatically
                              gives citizenship to people & if of age even asks for military service.The macedonian government is not serious & doesn't care at all.Mate they should thank you for going there & kiss your hand & something else you are going to take money there.As far as i'm concerned the macedonian govt has failed us badly.Especially the diaspora.Your predicament is very important to all of us in the diaspora.My children were born in australia & i think the macedonian govt should consider them automatically as macedonian citizens & to hold dual citizenship.MACEDONIA is a backward stupid country.
                              They will never catch up to what other countries like greece are doing with their diaspora.The govt gave us the vote how many voted,how many diaspora macedonians are getting their passport???They use the australian passport only when they go for a visit.No need for a visa?
                              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
                              X