• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

Why joining the EU is so hard to swallow for Croatia’s winemakers

Why joining the EU is so hard to swallow for Croatia’s winemakers

As Croatia prepares to celebrate joining the EU, Nick Squires reports how a dispute over the name 'Prosek' is an early taste of the problems to come.

By Nick Squires, Split
    08 Jun 2013

In a vaulted cellar on the pine-clad island of Hvar, Andro Tomic pops a cork on a bottle of his beloved prosek wine and pours a generous glass.

The amber-coloured dessert wine holds a special place in the hearts of Croats, particularly those along the Dalmatian coast, but it is about to face the full wrath of the Brussels bureaucracy.
    The European Union has ruled that prosek is too similar in name to Italy's prosecco and that after July 1, when Croatia realises a decade-old ambition of joining the EU, it can no longer be sold as such.

The ruling has infuriated Croats and underlined the doubts and apprehension of many over the decision to become the bloc's 28th member, particularly at a time of deep economic and political tensions within the EU.

Nowhere is the indignation felt more deeply than on the island of Hvar, where prosek has been produced amid the dry stone walls, olive groves and pine woods for more than 500 years.
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV
  • makedonche
    • Oct 2008

EU membership at the cost of 500 years of culture,tradition and history?
    What the f*#@ are the Croations thinking?
    On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Bij
      • Oct 2009

what an idiotic regulation. surely the EU has better things to worry itself with

Comment

• Vangelovski
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Bij View Post
        what an idiotic regulation. surely the EU has better things to worry itself with
        People love state interference in every aspect of their lives - Nanny knows best. You'd be hard pressed to find individuals across Europe or even in Australia that truly value individual freedom. Greece's precedent with Macedonia's name wouldn't have helped much either. But this goes much further - now "similar sounding" names seem to be off limits as well.

Surely the feeble minded European consumer can tell the difference between prosek and prosecco, particularly when one is labelled as Croatian and the other Italian. But it appears not - Brussels has determined that its servants (EU "citizens") are too retarded and we shouldn't be confusing them with such subtleties.
        If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Bij
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
          People love state interference in every aspect of their lives - Nanny knows best. You'd be hard pressed to find individuals across Europe or even in Australia that truly value individual freedom. Greece's precedent with Macedonia's name wouldn't have helped much either. But this goes much further - now "similar sounding" names seem to be off limits as well.

Surely the feeble minded European consumer can tell the difference between prosek and prosecco, particularly when one is labelled as Croatian and the other Italian. But it appears not - Brussels has determined that its servants (EU "citizens") are too retarded and we shouldn't be confusing them with such subtleties.
          They're not even the same colour are they? That would indicate different grapes wouldn't it?

Comment

• Vangelovski
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Bij View Post
            They're not even the same colour are they? That would indicate different grapes wouldn't it?
            I don't know, but I'm sure only Brussels is qualified to answer that question
            If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• George S.
              • Aug 2009

That is the silliest thing,why don't we have a name change just like the one the Macedonians are experiencing.No wonder the eu is destined to fail it cannot really comprehend what's going on.The consumer can work it out ,come on they can't be that stupid.Do people need to be dictated to?I think the consumer will work it out in the end.
              "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
              X