• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

US sparring directly with Al-Qaeda fans online

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:07 PM GMT

The United States is deliberately sparring with Al-Qaeda supporters and militants online aiming to shoot down extremist messages and win over hearts and minds, a US official said Wednesday.

Seeking out the virtual spaces where "Al-Qaeda and its supporters lurk" is part of America's strategy to combat violent extremism, Under Secretary for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs Tara Sonenshine told students at the University of Maryland.

"We robustly engage with them in chat forums in Arabic, Somali, Punjabi and Urdu," she explained.

"By targeting the hardliners, we are really trying to reach the middle grounders, the fence sitters, the sympathizers and passive supporters."
    Last year, staff at the new Center for Strategic Counterterrorism Communications, which reports directly to Sonenshine, wrote some 7,000 posts on different online forums.

"When we counter unfounded rumors, propaganda and conspiracy theories with facts, truth and reasonable argument, we can better define what we stand for. And we have a greater chance of changing more minds," Sonenshine said.

"We cannot afford to stand on the sidelines and let cynical voices distort and misreport our policies, values, and interests," she added.
    "We have to enter that communications space -- where so many young people are getting their information -- and contest extremist and other negative rhetoric with facts and counter-assertions."

She admitted it was hard to assess whether such virtual online battles were helping to win the war against extremists, quipping that "terrorists are not exactly willing to participate in surveys."

But she said it was considered "a gain" when Al-Qaeda complained about the center's activities in their online forums or when a Saudi citizen called on his government to set up such a center.
    Pressing the case for such continued public diplomacy, Sonenshine argued: "What is the cost of not confronting negative messaging?"
    "Are we really going to leave it to our adversaries to define America, and recruit the disenfranchised and the impressionable to their cause?" she asked.
    We tend to have more Bozo the clowns on this forum trolling than anyone else. But it seems really interesting that these levels are stooped to.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com
  • Gocka
    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
    http://www.news-republic.com/Web/Art...icleid=7845976

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:07 PM GMT

We tend to have more Bozo the clowns on this forum trolling than anyone else. But it seems really interesting that these levels are stooped to.
    Makes you wonder doesn't it? You can't be sure of anything these days. How do we know the grk government doesn't do the same?

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

It just pays peasants to maintain the deluded rage.
      Or just threatens relatives in Greece.
      Already documented.
      Risto the Great

Comment

• Rogi
        • Sep 2008

How do we know the Macedonian Government doesn't do the same too? Even on forums like this where a discussion about a Terrorist who killed Macedonian soldiers becoming Minister for Defense, derails into something else, pacifying the topic.

Comment

• Big Bad Sven
          • Jan 2009

I thought A-Qaeda and the USA were in bed together

Or has that policy changed again

Comment

• Big Bad Sven
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Rogi View Post
            How do we know the Macedonian Government doesn't do the same too? Even on forums like this where a discussion about a Terrorist who killed Macedonian soldiers becoming Minister for Defense, derails into something else, pacifying the topic.
            I always suspected the user 'Prolet' was an agent of the Gruevski government.

Notice how now we all hate Gruevski he has disappeared. I hope Gruevski hasn't executiond him or something

Comment

• George S.
              • Aug 2009

it's the kind of games the us likes to play before a screen.Facing interrogation Cyberspace wars or just a waste of time.
              Maybe they can come to some sort of arrangement???
              Last edited by George S.; 03-28-2013, 04:13 PM.
              "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                • Aug 2009

On gruevski im not a supporter especially on the name change where we are all supposed to be waiting on a name if people know the inevitable has happened allready macedonia did change their name to rom skopje.
                "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Phoenix
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Big Bad Sven View Post
                  I always suspected the user 'Prolet' was an agent of the Gruevski government.
                  I find it amazing that a bloke can rack up thousands of posts in record time, be on here posting 24/7 and then just disappear without a trace.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                    • Sep 2008

Can anyone say DPmNE diaspora representative?
                    Risto the Great

Comment

Working...
                    X