X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vangelovski
    • Sep 2008

A New Macedonian-Greek Accord

Watch as the cheerleaders cheer about how great this is and the scaremongerers claim we have no choice. In 20 years, they will say we don't like it, but it "had" to be done.

http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/arti...nding-proposed

Greece Extends Friendship Offer to Macedonia

Macedonia says it will carefully consider the proposed bilateral memorandum of understanding that the Greek Foreign Minister sent on Thursday to his Macedonian counterpart.

The spokesperson for the Macedonian government, Aleksander Gjorgiev, confirmed that the letter from the Greek Foreign Minister, Dimitris Avramopoulos, has been received, together with the draft memorandum, adding that “It will be read with due care and seriousness”.

In the letter sent to the Macedonian Foreign Minister, Nikola Poposki, the Greek side proposes setting of "framework and basic parameters" for the definitive resolution of the bilateral “name” dispute.

Greece in the letter expresses its desire to have the memorandum signed but reiterates its long term stance that Macedonia ought to use a composite name with a geographic qualifier.

“The signing of the Memorandum in question will be a decisive step towards strengthening of good neighbourly relations between the two countries, based on the resolution of the name issue and on FYROM’s European perspective”, reads the letter.

The proposed memorandum on understanding comes after the two Foreign Ministers met in New York in September at an introductory meeting.

In July, Macedonia proposed a set of bilateral agreements with Greece to be crowned by a declaration of friendship and cooperation but it was met with cold response from Greece.

Tensions between Greece and Macedonia are fuelled by the long-standing dispute over Macedonia's name.

Greece insists that use of the term "Macedonia" implies a territorial claim to its own northern province of the same name. Citing the unresolved issue, Greece has repeatedly blocked Macedonia’s progress towards both EU and NATO membership.

UN-brokered talks to overcome the long standing dispute have failed so far to result in a solution.
    If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Oh wow, Greece sends a letter to Macedonia about what it wants Macedonia to be called.

Had to done I suppose.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• makedonche
      • Oct 2008

The pricks are on their knees at the moment so a feel good gesture and a proposal for good relations will hold them in good stead with their creditors I imagine. From my perspective I'd like to wait till their trodden into the dirt before I do any negotiating, and even then the only thing to negotiate would be reparations for the damage they have inflicted and what we think thier penance should be, otherwise....nothing to discuss with these giuptsi!
      On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• George S.
        • Aug 2009

Isn't it a bit late to ask now.Even then since when a neighbour has to ask another neighbour what they shall be called its ridiculous.
        Did grece ask macedonia when it slapped an embargo in the 90's??costing so much.
        They could tell them to get stuffed.i wonder if the questions have got strings attached.I'm sure they have.
        the Greek side proposes setting of "framework and basic parameters" for the definitive resolution of the bilateral “name” dispute. yeah & pigs can fly.What they are saying a name within set parameters.If macedonia agrees to this is like their head is on a chopping block.
        Last edited by George S.; 10-09-2012, 01:50 AM. Reason: ed
        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• makedonche
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by George S. View Post
          Isn't it a bit late to ask now.Even then since when a neighbour has to ask another neighbour what they shall be called its ridiculous.
          Did grece ask macedonia when it slapped an embargo in the 90's??costing so much.
          They could tell them to get stuffed.i wonder if the questions have got strings attached.I'm sure they have.
          the Greek side proposes setting of "framework and basic parameters" for the definitive resolution of the bilateral “name” dispute. yeah & pigs can fly.What they are saying a name within set parameters.If macedonia agrees to this is like their head is on a chopping block.
          George S
          Pretty well no change from their existing position, I bet.
          On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Vangelovski
            • Sep 2008

From the bits and pieces I've read, this 'memorandum' is meant to reaffirm most of the Interim Accord and expand in new areas such as agreeing to a 'geographic' compromise. I would not be surprised if Gruevski and co agree to it and then sell it as a win, while their apologists claim there was too "much" pressure not to.
            If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• DedoAleko
              • Jun 2009

This is from last week. Our MoFA already answered back:

The original text:

„Со писмото, меморандум за разбирање. Можност за надминување на недоразбирањата. Добро е да се разбереме: добри соседи работат на намалување на чувството на загрозеност; заемно почитуваат суверенитет и територијален интегритет и поттикнуваат прекугранично поврзување; носат одлуки што ги почитуваат демократските принципи и владеењето на правото и дома и надвор; апсолутно ги почитуваат сите претходно преземени обврски; водат сметка за градење доверба и ги почитуваат чувствата и правата на своите граѓани и на соседот. Сакаме европски односи со европски соседи“, напиша во дипломатскиот дневник Попоски.

izvor: http://www.novamakedonija.com.mk/New...tIzdanie=22698

google translate:

"In the letter, memorandum of understanding. Able to overcome misunderstandings. It is good to understand: good neighbors work to reduce the sense of threat; mutually respect the sovereignty and territorial integrity, and encourage cross-border connectivity; make decisions that respect democratic principles and the rule of law at home and abroad; absolutely respect all prior commitments ; take account of building trust and respect the feelings and rights of their citizens and neighbors. We want European relations with European neighbors, "wrote in diplomatic diary Poposki.

Comment

• George S.
                • Aug 2009

Greece floats proposal for Macedonia name solution

Greece has tabled a draft memorandum of understanding apparently aimed at seeking a solution to its long-standing name dispute with EU candidate Macedonia. But EU diplomats expressed disappointment at its content, which doesn’t appear to make new proposals.

The draft memorandum, published Thursday (4 October) on the Greek foreign ministry website, repeats diplomatic language already used in bilateral documents, stressing that both sides would commit to respecting each other's national sovereignty and territorial integrity, and renounce any present or future territorial claims.

In a direct reference to what is widely seen as appropriation of ancient Greek history by Macedonia (see background), it calls for both sides to agree that they would refrain from actions or statements that risk undermining the negotiations, “including through the use of symbols constituting part of the historical or cultural patrimony of the other.”

A fresh impetus?

Finally, the draft says that the sides would “agree to give a fresh impetus” to the talks to solve the name dispute under the auspices of the UN – despite years of efforts by a UN mediator to find a solution.

An EU diplomat said he saw “nothing new” in the Greek paper and that it was broadly seen as a “disappointment”.

Greece and Macedonia have been locked in a dispute over the smaller country's constitutional name since it became independent from the crumbling Yugoslavia in 1991.

On the name issue, the Greek paper says that “any proposal should contain a clear and definitive qualifier”, which “will leave no ambiguities as to the distinction between the territory of the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and regions in neighbouring countries, in particular, the region of Macedonia in northern Greece, and that the name agreed upon will be used by all erga omnes and for all purposes.”

“Erga omnes” means using the name to be agreed in "relations with everyone," thus rejecting the notion that a name "for internal use" could be kept.

Speaking to the United Nations 67th General Assembly in New York last month, Greek Foreign Minister Dimitris Avramopoulos said Greece believed in a “fair settlement” resulting in a name with a “geographical qualifier” given that Macedonia is a geographical region that overlaps the territories of Greece, Bulgaria and the former Yugoslav republic.

‘Northern’ or ‘Upper’ Macedonia?

Diplomats have been speculating whether “Northern Macedonia” or “Upper Macedonia” could be acceptable to both sides.

According to the Macedonian daily Dnevnik, the authorities in Skopje said they would respond positively to the Greek memorandum, but also give their own version.

It remains unclear if Greece would lift its objection for Macedonia to start accession negotiations with the EU, in the case the memorandum is signed, even if the talks to find a mutually acceptable name still drag on.

Greece has itself set a priority for its EU presidency during the first half of 2014 “the revitalisation and acceleration of the enlargement process of all countries of the Western Balkans, including that of the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.”

According to one EU diplomat, Greece may be tempted to unblock the accession talks with Macedonia, by signing the memorandum, just to “keep happy” its EU family. But he added that it was not in the interest of the Greek government to add to the public discontent with a compromise on the name issue, which would be seen by the country’s nationalists as an outrage.

Wasted time?

The timing of the memorandum apparently would help the European Commission to reaffirm Macedonia’s EU perspective. On 10 October the EU executive is due to publish its yearly reports on the progress – or lack of such – of the EU candidates and hopefuls: Iceland, Turkey, Macedonia, Croatia, Montenegro, Serbia, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Kosovo.

The EU Commission issued a recommendation to start accession negotiations with Macedonia in December 2005. Since then, in the absence of the Greek veto - at least in theory - Macedonia could have wrapped up the negotiations. Croatia, another former Yugoslav republic, started accession negotiations in 2005, completed them in 2011 and is due to join the EU on 1 July 2013.

All 12 new EU members from the 2004-2007 waves of enlargement were able to conclude accession negotiations in less than six years.
                EurActiv.com
                External Links

Ekathimerini: Greece eyes MoU with Macedonia
                Focus, Bulgaria: Dnevnik, Macedonia: Athens’ memorandum proposal – a Greek trap or a step forward?
                Last edited by George S.; 10-09-2012, 12:33 PM. Reason: eed
                "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Coolski
                  • Sep 2008

So this seems like an attempt by Greece to refresh the interim accord, which was proven to be broken by them in the Hague. I guess they're trying to sign a new accord while their political clout is slipping through their fingers. It reeks of desperation.
                  - Секој чоек и нација има можност да успеат колку шо си дозволуваат. Нема изговор.
                  - Every human and nation has the ability to be as great or as weak as they allow themselves to be. No excuses.

Comment

• Bij
                    • Oct 2009

This should've been marked return to sender in an unopened envelope with a big fat MAKEDONIJA stamp on it and a pic of Alex the great.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Bij View Post
                      This should've been marked return to sender in an unopened envelope with a big fat MAKEDONIJA stamp on it and a pic of Alex the great.
                      Instead they get a thank you letter from FYROM with a picture of Warrior on Horse.
                      Risto the Great
                      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

Working...
                      X