X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Macedonia: Call To Rename Centre Of Skopje After Alexander

By Sinisa Jakov Marusic Todor Petrov, head of a pan-Macedonian non-profit organization, the World Macedonian Congress, has called on the authorities to rename the Skopje municipality now called Centar after the Ancient warrior king. In the online magazine Macedonian Nation at the weekend, Petrov said it was only logical for the municipality to be renamed...

January 25, 2012
    By Sinisa Jakov Marusic

Todor Petrov, head of a pan-Macedonian non-profit organization, the World Macedonian Congress, has called on the authorities to rename the Skopje municipality now called Centar after the Ancient warrior king.

In the online magazine Macedonian Nation at the weekend, Petrov said it was only logical for the municipality to be renamed in this way as it now contains a giant equestrian statue of Alexander and will soon get an equally large statue of his father, Philip of Macedonia.

Although not officially linked to the ruling centre-right VMRO DPMNE party, his NGO is seen as close to the government.

Officials in Centar have not said whether they will support or veto the idea. “So far we have not considered such a renaming. We only heard about it from the media. When the proposal officially arrives we will consider it”, the municipal spokesperson, Jovica Ackovski told Balkan insight.

Macedonia’s opposition Social Democrats said they were against renaming Centar, saying it would only cause additional problems with Greece.

Relations between Macedonia and Greece are strained owing to the two-decades-long row over Macedonia’s name. Citing the unresolved issue, Greece has blocked Macedonia’s progress towards both EU and NATO membership.

Greece insists that use of the term “Macedonia” by its neighbour implies a territorial claim to its own northern province of the same name.

The origin of Alexander the Great is also part of the dispute, as the two neighbouring nations have different views on ancient history. The warrior king is one of many historic figures and symbols claimed by both states.

Last summer Greek officials strongly condemned Macedonia’s move to erect a giant statue of Alexander in the heart of the capital as “provocative” and “retrograde”.

It did not help matters much that Macedonia officially refers to the statue as an “equestrian warrior”, to avoid causing extra friction.

Since Nikola Gruevski took power in 2006, Macedonia has renamed its main airport in Skopje after Alexander the Great while the football stadium in the capital was renamed after Philip.

The internet news portal SKY MK, seen as close to the opposition, says the government is mulling renaming several other towns and municipalities in the same style if the country again fails to join NATO, due to a Greek blockade. The next NATO summit takes place in May in Chicago.

The government spokesperson, Martin Martinovski rebuffed these allegations for Balkan Insight insisting that “municipal names have nothing to do with the country’s NATO bid”.
    Looks like the municipality will be renamed to "Ancient Warrior on Horse" to me.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com
  • Bill77
    • Oct 2009

Hows SDSM response,
    Macedonia’s opposition Social Democrats said they were against renaming Centar, saying it would only cause additional problems with Greece.
    Why would they give a hoot about Greece's feelings.

Before anyone comments anything regarding EU Nato membership and Greek veto,

Its never going to happen anyway so get over it.
    http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Stojacanec
      • Dec 2009

The Greeks will continue to veto and interfere in Macedonian affairs.

The Greeks are given way too much leverage when it comes to Macedonian matters.

Basically, we should be able to do what the %#@* we like.

Comment

• Brian
        Banned
        • Oct 2011

How about something equally imaginative like, land (or droppings) under warrior on a horse.

What is wrong with these people? What's wrong with just centar?

Comment

• Big Bad Sven
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Stojacanec View Post
          The Greeks will continue to veto and interfere in Macedonian affairs.

The Greeks are given way too much leverage when it comes to Macedonian matters.

Basically, we should be able to do what the %#@* we like.
          That is so true, macedonians should be able to do what they want in their own country and make decisions about their homeland with out outside interferance.

But unfortunately macedonians are now scared on stepping on other peoples toes and geting other people mad. We know have to consult every neighbour and the world powers when making a decision, wether its something as naming a aiport, or something smaller like building a statue or church.

Macedonian foreign policy is to make our neighbours and minorties happy, and maybe throw a few crumbs to the macedonians to make them feel special once in a while.

Comment

• makedonche
            • Oct 2008

No need to rename anything, other than that ridiculous "warrior on a horse" - just wait till they go bankrupt and have no further influence!
            On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• George S.
              • Aug 2009

why have dual names as to not to offend greece about time they learned to behave theselves & stop interferring & bullying macedonia.
              "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Phoenix
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                How about something equally imaginative like, land (or droppings) under warrior on a horse.

What is wrong with these people? What's wrong with just centar?
                What is your point...?

Comment

• Brian
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                  What is your point...?
                  You poor schmuck, Phoenix. Did you draw the short straw to chase my ever post with a stupid remark, or did they just give you a lolly to do it? Have a re-read of my post, then let's see if you can tell us all.

Comment

• Bill77
                    • Oct 2009

Seriously Brian......what was your point?

Don't get all stroppy with me now, i am being sincere. Its hard to tell what is sarcasm and what isn't on the net.

Comment

• Phoenix
                      • Dec 2008

You poor schmuck, Phoenix. Did you draw the short straw to chase my ever post with a stupid remark, or did they just give you a lolly to do it? Have a re-read of my post, then let's see if you can tell us all.
                      Generally I make a point of avoiding your posts at all costs, why the fuck would I bother re reading any of it...I find one visit to the toilet is enough...

Comment

• Brian
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
                        Seriously Brian......what was your point?

Don't get all stroppy with me now, i am being sincere. Its hard to tell what is sarcasm and what isn't on the net.
                        Why bother renaming the central municipality anything? What's wrong with just the name Centar? My comment has nothing to do with whether or not the Greeks get upset. Knowing what a dumb ass job the piss weak government in RoM did with naming the statue of Alexander "warior on a horse" then using the same logic the idiots might just go with renaming the municipality Centar with "Land Under Warrior with a horse".

Comment

• Bill77
                          • Oct 2009

Why bother renaming the central municipality anything? What's wrong with just the name Centar? My comment has nothing to do with whether or not the Greeks get upset. Knowing what a dumb ass job the piss weak government in RoM did with naming the statue of Alexander "warior on a horse" then using the same logic the idiots might just go with renaming the municipality Centar with "Land Under Warrior with a horse".
                          Thanks, i can see where the sarcasm is and your point.

Whats wrong with the name Centre? Unless its Positioning is exactly in the middle of Skopje, its not very imaginative, quite boring. So why not name it something? I'm all for naming it something Macedonian especially if its going to make Greece buzz more.

Comment

• Brian
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                            Generally I make a point of avoiding your posts at all costs, why the fuck would I bother re reading any of it...I find one visit to the toilet is enough...
                            Great! That makes two of us - I wouldn't mind if you "avoid(ed) (my) posts at all costs" like you say, but obviously don't do.

Comment

• Niko777
                              • Oct 2010

While Macedonians are being distracted with whether to rename a part of Skopje after Alexander, look what else the authorities are renaming behind our back: http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum...postcount=1381

Comment

Working...
                              X