X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Bulgarian bishops were communist spies

THE ghost of communism has resurfaced in Bulgaria, with 11 of the country's 15 top bishops exposed as former secret police agents, shaking the Bulgarian Orthodox Church and its image just as it readies to choose a new patriarch.

A list published by the parliamentary archives committee has singled out 97-year-old Patriarch Maxim and three other bishops as the only members of the church's top authority, the Holy Synod, not to have collaborated.

The other 11 were listed as agents of the most notorious part of the Darzhavna Sigurnost, the political police who spied on people for suspected "anti-communist behaviour".

The archives law does not entail any legal consequences for the former agents, but Prime Minister Boyko Borisov was quick to declare himself shocked.

Meanwhile, a handful of priests from southwest Bulgaria slammed their leaders in a declaration on Friday and urged them to resign.

For Kalin Yanakiev, a philosophy professor at Sofia University and editor-in-chief of the religious magazine Christianity and Culture, the church was a victim of Darzhavna Sigurnost, which "picked up, nurtured, promoted and appointed the bishops".

"Bishops are for life; they cannot resign," he told Bulgarian national television. But he urged the clerics to repent.
    I wish I could say the same sort of thing could not happen in Macedonia.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com
  • Vangelovski
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226250768441

I wish I could say the same sort of thing could not happen in Macedonia.
    I just assume that ALL Macedonian clergy were communist spies (I think it is safe to assume that UDBa vetted all of them and used who they could as informants) and that the current lot are tainted because of their mentors and they way they use them - take Petar's crop for example.
    If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Phoenix
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
      I just assume that ALL Macedonian clergy were communist spies (I think it is safe to assume that UDBa vetted all of them and used who they could as informants) and that the current lot are tainted because of their mentors and they way they use them - take Petar's crop for example.
      I think it would be a far wider problem, certainly not restricted to the Macedonian and bulgarian churches.

I can't even imagine how badly the 'greek' church is tainted by such unholy practices.

Comment

• Vangelovski
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
        I think it would be a far wider problem, certainly not restricted to the Macedonian and bulgarian churches.

I can't even imagine how badly the 'greek' church is tainted by such unholy practices.
        I'm sure its the same across "former" communist Europe and many other parts of the world, and that in many cases it is a continuing problem.
        If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Phoenix
          • Dec 2008

I'm sure its the same across "former" communist Europe and many other parts of the world, and that in many cases it is a continuing problem.
          Sadly, it's most likely a problem across most organised (and other less formal) religions.

Comment

• Vangelovski
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
            Sadly, it's most likely a problem across most organised (and other less formal) religions.
            I think it depends on the state. I don't think it was as widespread outside of Eastern Europe. Many religious institutions actually overtly resist and denounce their governments when politicians stray too far.

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

I think it depends on the state. I don't think it was as widespread outside of Eastern Europe. Many religious institutions actually overtly resist and denounce their governments when politicians stray too far.
              Oh c'mon ... the Catholic church is legendary in this regard. That isn't Eastern.
              Risto the Great
              MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
              "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

Working...
              X