• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EgejskaMakedonia
    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
    Hello Lerin.

My mother always requested this song and used to dance to it in her village back in the 1940's/50's (so she has told me). The first time i heard it was in 1990 on cassete, recorded by a Melbourne Macedonian band. The name of the band slips my mind, but if anyone is familiar with the svirach Pande (not sure if he plays in a band anymore). Pande was also the lead singer of this band. It is definitely Macedonian imho.

Another clue, is look at the false Greek version lyrics. None of it makes sense (historically) so it was nothing but a propaganda attempt.

Cheers guys.
    Welcome back Bill, good to see you around here again!

There's no way that the Greek version is more than a few decades old, purely based on what you pointed out. Wikipedia apparently cites that the song has been used by the 'Hellenic army since the Balkan Wars,' and the music is from something titled 'Philippos Gitsas, 1910s' (not sure if that is a direct reference to the origins of the Greek version though). Unsurprisingly, such information seems to be non-existent for a song that is regarded as an 'unofficial anthem in Norther Greece.'

Years ago I remember hearing the Greek version for the first time and in absolute disgust. Yet the origins of both versions seem to be very clouded. They've already stolen hundreds of oros such as the pushcheno, so it would come as no surprise if this particular tune was also a direct copy. That said, it does not seem to be very mainstream in Macedonian music, so I'm not going to draw any conclusions just yet.

I'll have a look for the cassette over the holidays, perhaps the radio presenter mentioned a few words beforehand or after the pesna in regards to the band, title, etc...which may potentially link back to the band you mentioned.

Comment

• Bill77
      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by EgejskaMakedonia View Post

There's no way that the Greek version is more than a few decades old, purely based on what you pointed out. Wikipedia apparently cites that the song has been used by the 'Hellenic army since the Balkan Wars,' and the music is from something titled 'Philippos Gitsas, 1910s' (not sure if that is a direct reference to the origins of the Greek version though).
      I doubt it but then again EM, it wouldn't surprise me if they fed propaganda through songs and chants to their Albanians turned Greeks army during the Balkan wars. Just like the Albanians needed convincing they were Greeks, Bullshit such as they were "sons of Pericles, Demostenisa and Socrates" (during and after the battle of this so called Greek independence)

Their fighters needed a reason from their politicians to fight for Macedonia. So why not teach them bullshit lyrics such as,

"the land of Alexander,
      you drove away the barbarians,
      and now you are free!
      You are and you'll be Greek,
      the very glory of Greeks,

I'm sure there would have been questions asked by soldiers and citizens in Greece "why the hell would we fight in a foreign land called Macedonia"?

But like i said, i doubt it just like you, the Greek version is more than a few decades old. We all know how notorious Greeks are at stealing Music and culture. Not just against Macedonians, but Albanians and Turks are victims aswell.

Here is an example of an Albanian traditional song stolen. I am not here specifically to take sides or Defend Albanians. But its alarming how wide spread the case of Greece stealing Folklore and Identity is, and just not The Macedonians are victims.

Greece STEALS more Albanian Folklore - YouTube

Here you will see Greeks remarkably, claiming the “Gajda” as a Greek Traditional Folk Dance.
      Gaida (Macedonia) - Youth Centre Of Halastra - YouTube

The Greeks have also taken the Lerinsko oro called “Pushtenoto” as there’s and has gone as far as renaming it “Leventikos”
      PUSHTENO - LITOS - LEVENTIKOS - YouTube

There is a thread on this here.
      I was given a idea for a thread after someone posted A hilarious Bulgarian send up of a Macedonian song. This would be a good place to build a colection of Music and culture that are ither originaly from Bulgaria and Greece or stolen by our Neibours. :wink: Here is that Bulgarian send up that was posted on the Macedonian
      Last edited by Bill77; 11-11-2011, 08:53 AM.
      http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Voltron
        Banned
        • Jan 2011

From what I know it was a song that was sang during the Balkan Wars. In its original I believe the word "Bulgarian" was used as opposed to "Barbarian". The reference to "Bulgarian" was changed when relations with Bulgaria started to develop.

Comment

• Sekirani
          • Feb 2010

The one Egejska Makedonija posted above is the one i have
          Last edited by Sekirani; 11-11-2011, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

Isn't it crazy it's all part of the masqurade to say macedonian is greek & greek is macedonian & because the lazy musicians are to lazy to compose their own they steal the macedonian one.Why because they don't use the wide array of instruments they are used to using the bouzuki.When you are restricted you have no free artistic sence to compose & you just plagiarise your neighbours songs & dances.I even heard that some of the greek musicians can even play makedonsko devojce kitka sarena.OPlease don't steal this one.It's only a macedonian song.
            I heard the bulgarians have allready stolen golema svadba big wedding song & are singing similar lyrics & words.How stupid is that.
            Last edited by George S.; 11-11-2011, 12:04 PM. Reason: ed
            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Onur
              • Apr 2010

George, thats what Greeks does all the time because they don't have any significant culture belongs to themselves. Ofc this is also an indication for their recently assimilated multi-ethnic population.

As you know, we Turks also a victim of this thievery. They stole some parts of our cuisine, theater, literature, music, dance and more. They don't even bother changing Turkish words either but only making it greekish like karagoziosis and claming it as "Greek only"

They are constantly trying to monopolize these too, just like they did for Macedonian sun symbol. They tried to register yogurt, coffee, baklava as a part of Greek culture few years ago. Their self-claimed national dance is a ripoff from Turkish zeybek. Most dishes of so-called Greek cuisine still have Turkish names.

Btw, gotta remind you that bouzouki is also greekish Turkish word of "bozuk, bozuksaz" meaning "a saz (stringed instrument) with distorted/changed sound". So, don't think like bouzouki is Greek. It`s either Turkish or at least belongs to the formerly Turkish christians who also created rembetiko style [an analogue of the ottoman tavern music]. Otherwise, why would a Greek use Turkish word for the instrument and then compose songs for it in Turkish language????

I am open to any suggestion for an example of unique cultural element belonging to neo-hellenes. I didn't see a single one yet.

Regarding the particular song you ask;
              Do you have any other example of an old song originally with Greek lyrics and adopted by Macedonians in ROM??? Show us an another example of that, so we can start to think about if it was really a Greek song. If such a thing happened, it shouldn't be an only one song in 100 years of time, right?
              Last edited by Onur; 11-11-2011, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• lavce pelagonski
                • Nov 2009

I remember this song now I havent listened to it for a very long time
                Стравот на Атина од овој Македонец одел до таму што го нарекле „Страшниот Чакаларов“ „гркоубиец“ и „крвожеден комитаџија“.

„Ако знам дека тука тече една капка грчка крв, јас сега би ја отсекол целата рака и би ја фрлил в море.“ Васил Чакаларов

Comment

• Bill77
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Onur View Post
                  As you know, we Turks also a victim of this thievery. They stole some parts of our cuisine, theater, literature, music, dance and more.
                  The "trabzon" is another. The instrument was named after where it originated from "Trabzon", which was an empire (according to a Turkish friend of mine) in Anatolia now a city in Turkey by the Black Sea.

Its a very common instrument, though mainly used by the Pontian Greeks. The same so called Greeks that sing and claim "makedonia ksakousti" as an unofficial greek macedonian anthem.

Who are the ones that really sing this song these days? Try searching it on You Tube, and majority clips are of PAOK soccer fans. And we know what type of a club this "PAOK" is and what type of Greeks follow this club right?

Christian Turks trying to be Greeks now trying to be Macedonians. Go figure.

I heard something interesting recently (actually coming from a Greek) that a politician commented on the linguistical situation in Aegean Macedonia. It went something like this.

"We put Pontians in Macedonia to spread the Greek language in that region, instead they come out learning the Macedonian language"

Though i doubt he used the term "Macedonian" as the dominant language.
                  http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Onur
                    • Apr 2010

You are right Bill. It`s a comedy. There are videos of 1923 immigrants on youtube, singing their grandparents songs in Turkish language but they do this in so-called "Greek Macedonian" culture festivals. Pontians or various people from Anatolia singing in turkish and this is supposedly Macedonians culture event (!!!). Absurdity at best.

I heard something interesting recently (actually coming from a Greek) that a politician commented on the linguistical situation in Aegean Macedonia. It went something like this.

"We put Pontians in Macedonia to spread the Greek language in that region, instead they come out learning the Macedonian language"
                    lol, what they were expecting? They totally killed the Pontian Romaika dialect in Greece by forcing them to learn phil-hellene product of so-called modern Greek and now these Pontians today, are trying to learn their grandparents original language by coming to Turkey, learning from muslim people of Trabzon. But if you ask them, they would say this; "Turks commited cultural genocide, forced hellenes to speak Turkish, they cut our tongues if we speak Greek" but they managed to erase Pontian speech themselves in just few decades in Greece. Ironically, today they ask for help from the muslims of Blacksea region.

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
                      • Jan 2010

I once heard a Greek say that the "Turks stole the 'blueprints' for Turkish bread and Turkish coffee off the Greeks." Needless to say, it was one of the most ridiculous and laughable comments I have ever heard.

The majority of Balkan nations refer to Turkish coffee as just that, 'tursko cafe.' It is the typical Greek attempt to monopolise a culture and identity that does not belong to them. Sometimes I think they forget that the Turks occupied their land for 400+ years, so it is completely reasonable to expect that a large influence of Turkish culture would now exist not only in Greece, but even Macedonia and other Balkan nations. Souvlaki is essentially a rip off of shish kebabs, and not to mention 'Greek easter' which doesn't actually exist...it's Orthodox Easter...

I could go on all day with their pathetic attempts to take things which they cannot claim by right. From music, to food, to dances, to housing estates, villages, land, history, identities...the list goes on and on.

Comment

• lerin
                        • Jul 2011

well done egejska that is the song thanks for that i was looking for it on a you tube. I have no doubt this is macedonian. There is no way this was sung by greeks until later. Yet another attempt at stealing our history. The silver band in melbourne have played this song. It is one of my dads favourites. I really love the song and think it needs to be more heard by macedonians as the lyrics are very pertinent and explain perfectly about macedonian and what we want and who we are. I think it is a very powerful song.

Comment

• Sekirani
                          • Feb 2010

What makes me crack up with laughter is the Bulgarian version of Edna misla imame by Vojo Stojanovski, especially the part "Bulgaria cela da e sekoj da ja znae" lmfao ! Have anyone of these clowns ever heard the original and know what it talks about ?

Comment

• makedonche
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
                            The "trabzon" is another. The instrument was named after where it originated from "Trabzon", which was an empire (according to a Turkish friend of mine) in Anatolia now a city in Turkey by the Black Sea.

Its a very common instrument, though mainly used by the Pontian Greeks. The same so called Greeks that sing and claim "makedonia ksakousti" as an unofficial greek macedonian anthem.

Who are the ones that really sing this song these days? Try searching it on You Tube, and majority clips are of PAOK soccer fans. And we know what type of a club this "PAOK" is and what type of Greeks follow this club right?

Though i doubt he used the term "Macedonian" as the dominant language.
                            Bill77
                            Welcome back bato!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Now down to business.........."instead they came out learning the Macedonian language"...nice try, I don't think so, the Macedonian language is far too complex for any Greek imbeciles to try and pick up!
                            And who in their right mind would believe what a ploitician says anyway!

PS although I don't doubt for one minute they put Pontians there/or tried to!
                            On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

Working...
                            X