• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dimi28495
    • Jul 2011

Goalkeeper Martin Bogatinov angers greek paok fans

The stupidity and ignorance of greeks

During an interview on Karpaty's official website, Martin Bogatinov made some comments that angered people in Greece.

Ukrainian club Karpaty was aware of the tensions between Macedonia and Greece so they did in interview with their player, Macedonian international Martin Bogatinov, about how he feels going to a country in Greece that considers Macedonia as their own province. Bogatinov responded by saying, "Macedonia is Macedonia and Greece is Greece. Maybe Greece has their own Macedonia but that is wrong." He went on to add that, "I play football and never want to mix it with politics but again, I want to reiterate that Greece is Greece, but Macedonia is something else."

Bogatinov was also asked whether there was a feud between Macedonia and Greece? Bogatinov answered, "In principle, no. To prove it, here is a fact. Many people from Macedonia go to holiday in Greece. If there was a feud, those people would not go to Greece. I think you would agree with me."

These comments did not sit well in Greece with the media and the PAOK fans so Karpaty was forced to remove the Bogatinov interview from their official website. PAOK eventually won the first leg 2:0 in their matchup against Karpaty in the play-off round of the Europa League qualifications. Bogatinov ended up being an unused substitute as Andriy Tlumak started in goal for Karpaty.

Bogatinov began the season as the starting keeper for Karpaty but he recently lost his spot to Tlumak after the Ukrainian club got off to a slow start in league play. Bogatinov joined Karpaty during the 2011 January transfer window from Macedonian club Rabotnicki. Martin has also made four appearances for the Macedonian national team with his debut coming last year during a friendly match against Albania on 17 November 2010.
Working...
X