X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Shark out of water!

Off the coast of South Africa, a team of researchers was out studying shark populations when, apparently, a great white shark looked to a do a little studying of its own -- breaching the waves and flying aboard the researchers' boat.

On "The Early Show," Oceans Research team leader Dorien Schroder recalled the ordeal.

"It had been a bit quiet around the boat for a few minutes, and I heard a splash," she said. "And it's a splash that I recognized as usually a shark breaching out of the water. So I turned around to see it, only to see a live shark in mid-air above one of my interns."

The intern, Schroder said, stepped toward her.

Schroder said, "Later, (my intern) said, (she did that) because she thought I would know what to do, so I could grab her by her shirt and pull her onto the platform that we have on the stern of the boat right before the shark landed, actually, in the boat."

She added, "And all my other interns, as soon as the shark landed, actually joined me at the stern of the boat, and I calmed them down. And when the shark also calmed down, that's when I realized, now I just need to get this shark back into the water."

The shark, measuring around 10 feet long and weighing about 1,100 pounds, wasn't going anywhere without some help, Schroder said.

"We couldn't manage to get it out on our own, so we ended up towing the boat with the shark back into port where a crane was waiting for u,s and they lifted the shark with the crane off the boat and into the water. And she swam away quite strongly. So, yeah, we're very happy that the shark lived to tell the tale."

"Early Show" co-anchor Jeff Glor added, "The shark is OK, presumably back in the water, so it can scare the death out of someone else next time. They do say that they think this was an accident, that it wasn't an attack, but safe to say they may be slightly more careful next time. They're all OK."
    The message? Don't go fishing off the South African coast, lol.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

Flying sharks - all in the name of love
    July 8, 2010

One of two female sub-adult leopard sharks that will have a new home at Melbourne Aquarium. Photo: Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority
    Flying sharks are heading for Melbourne and it's all in the name of love.

Or whatever the shark equivalent of amore is.

Staff at the Reef HQ aquarium in Townsville have loaded up two female sub-adult leopard sharks into a specially prepared tank for the journey to their new home at Melbourne Aquarium.

Advertisement: Story continues below
    The pair travelled by road to Cairns today ahead of late night flight to Victoria.

Having outgrown their tank at Reef HQ, they are being moved to provide potential breeding partners for Melbourne Aquarium's lonely male leopard shark.

It's hoped the sharks will kick off a successful breeding program at the aquarium.

But the females have some growing up to do before they can join the male in his tank.

"The ones we are sending are about a metre long and they will become reproductively viable at about 1.7 metres," he said.

Adult leopard sharks can reach up to three metres in length.

Reef HQ spokesman Steve Menzies said unlike other species, which need to remain swimming constantly in order to breathe, leopard sharks are relatively easy to transport.

"These sharks basically just push the water over their gills using mouth movements so they can sit on the bottom quite happily for an extended period," he said.

Even so, the move required considerable preparation, particularly in terms of ensuring the quality of tank water.

For instance, the sharks were not fed for two days prior to the move to prevent them from contaminating the water with waste.

Mr Menzies said if other aquariums were able to establish successful breeding programs there would be no need to collect the species from the wild.

"If there is no need to collect them for aquariums that could represent quite a big impact on populations."

AAP
    Last edited by George S.; 07-21-2011, 12:04 PM.
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• DirtyCodingHabitz
      • Sep 2010

Researchers Say Great White Shark Jumped Into Their Boat
      ‪Researchers Say Great White Shark Jumped Into Their Boat‬‏ - YouTube

Comment

Working...
      X