• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • I of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Macedonian Fashion Factory - Factory Girls

Macedonian Fashion Factory - Factory Girls

Macedonia is one of those little Eastern-European countries that conjure up vague images of rural mountains and quaint medieval villages. But a fashion hot spot? Hardly. Yet, some of the world’s most beautifully made high fashion garments are produced in a family-run factory in the small town of Ohrid, population 47, 000, in Macedonia. At the Bimbilibimbil factory, rigorously modern garments and avant-garde knits are carefully crafted by local matriarchs, who learned to knit and sew as toddlers. The collection is signed Risto Bimbiloski, a rising fashion designer who trained in Paris, where he also lives, and shows his label on the runway in New York.

Risto, who was born and raised in Ohrid, is known for his unique aesthetic that mixes his Eastern European heritage with hi-tech and futuristic influences, such as his Spring collection 2011 collection, which was inspired by images of the moon seen through a telescope. He also produces highly acclaimed and innovative knitwear (he is the former creative director of knitwear for Louis Vuitton), which pushes both technical and style boundaries with chunky and irregular stitches, unorthodox mixes of techniques and material.

The design concepts may be all Risto, but the execution is a collaboration between the designer and his small army of grandmother artisans (35 fulltime employees and 65-100 contracted knitters). “We fulfill each other”, says Risto, “They know all the different techniques and I come from a more radical design point of view. I’m a very basic knitter but I understand how the system works and how to manipulate the grid. And they find that exciting.”

The factory is located in a fairytale-like bucolic setting, on the shore of the large Lake Ohrid with neighboring pine forests and rolling hills. It started as a small atelier in 2007, and has since expanded into a 6000 sq. feet space. Risto’s mother runs operations while his cousins are in charge of shipping. The reasons for founding the business were threefold, explains Risto’s brother Alek Bimbiloski, who is the label’s sales agent and distributor. One was to have full control of quality and production, another was to preserve the region’s textile heritage and a third was to boost the economic climate in the area and provide well-paid, fair and responsible employment. “Manufacturing in Yugoslavia [which Macedonia used to be part of before the Balkan war in the early ‘90s] used to be very highly regarded in the clothing industry,” says Alek, “After the country fell apart, all these high-end professionals were stuck either without a job or in huge assembly lines, which was a total waste of talent. We imagined a sort of custom made factory where everybody thinks before they sew.”

Which is exactly what they created. Besides the Risto line, the Bimbilibimbil factory also manufactures three other high-end fashion collections and are currently in talks with the Gucci group to take over some of the production for Alexander McQueen. “We really have selected the best of the best from seamstresses to knitters to pattern makers,” says Alek, “ We usually pay 30% more than everybody else in the region, and we also pay regularly which is unusual over there. We hear stories of some factories not paying for up to 4-5 months. So word of mouth has spread that the conditions at Bimbilibimbil are great.”

But what makes the products really unique is the workers’ craft heritage. Says Risto: “Macedonia is a matriarchal society full of strong women who are proud of their heritage and traditions. It is customary that the technique of knitting and handcrafting is learned from an early age to execute to perfection.” As lucky owners of much loved Risto sweaters we can only agree.

Curated by Fashion PR agency owner Corinna Springer who says that Risto sets an example by creating a business model that is based on merging his strong design point of view with helping people.

No need to sit in the shade, because we stand under our own sun
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Wow. Very cool. I have to buy something from this place!
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Zarni
      Banned
      • May 2011

impressive, good work.

Comment

• julie
        • May 2009

Here is man that is employing locals , paying them well and has ongoing foreign investment in the country that looks like booming . Well done , will definitely visit and choose something . This is a good example where the government can have some incentives for business to stimulate the economy in all infrastructure , reduce employment and encourage foreign trade and investment without the stupid e u . The money Macedonia has pissed away on membership campaigns would have been better spent on aiding the country . Well done !
        "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• George S.
          • Aug 2009

Whils't your there if you happen to go past it why not get a tour of it.
          "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• julie
            • May 2009

Should be agent for aus lol that would help pay my medicines lol
            "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• George S.
              • Aug 2009

Julie you could propbably make a fortune,maybe help pay for medicine & the trip.
              Last edited by George S.; 06-02-2011, 12:50 AM. Reason: edit
              "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Bij
                • Oct 2009

I like this! I wonder if there's a store retailing his stuff?

There's more about Risto here:

Name: Risto Bimbiloski
                Profession: Fashion Designer

The Macedonian-born, Paris-based fashion designer Risto Bimbiloski's collection is an innovative mix of old-fashioned Eastern European craft and hi-tech influences. His meticulously made garments and knits are hand crafted in his atelier/factory in OHrid, Macedonia. His business serves the dual purpose of keeping the local artisan heritage alive while also boosting the region's economy.

How would you describe your aesthetic?
                Nature is the core of my inspiration where beauty collides with danger. I give that subject a digital and rather pop-scientific spin.

Your line is known for its innovative knits. How did your interest in knitting begin?
                It was a result of meeting and exchanging techniques with lot of knitting ladies in my hometown Ohrid, Macedonia. It started as I searched for a handmade embroidery and I discovered the beauty of the knitting geometry.

Who makes the knits?
                I have my own atelier/community that is organized in my factory, which is run by my mother. She acts like a sort of headhunter for good knitters. A knithunter I guess…

You used to be in charge of men's knitwear at Louis Vuitton? How does that experience compare to designing your own label?
                LV is huge and very corporate compared to my brand, but working that way was very nourishing for both collections. When I was working at LV I tried to enhance the artisanal touch of a luxury garment. And it also helped me bring the perfection and quality of a luxury product to my own brand.

Where do you find inspiration?
                Somewhere out there in nature or inside my computer..

Do you have a narrative storyline for your collections? If so, please give examples.
                I don’t give a storyline to my collections. It is more of a constant noisy work in progress.

Your prints are amazing, what is your design process for them like?
                I usually start my collection by working on the prints. I love doing it. I work with my team on the artwork and then I develop it exclusively as a digital print in Italy.

Who is the Risto customer?
                Women with a sharp sense of Zeitgeist.

Name a person (living, dead or fictional) who inspires you.
                Patti Smith, Nathalie Joos and Miss Pacman

Comment

Working...
                X