X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Soccer referee bashed in vicious attack by fans at Royal Park

SOCCER fans have attacked a referee in the worst case of violence against an official in the history of the league.

Referee Petros Katsiokalis was set upon by more than half a dozen thugs in a group of at least 20 spectators who punched, kicked and stomped on him after storming the pitch when their team BESA FC lost a cup night clash to the Western Strikers, at Carnegie Reserve, Royal Park, last week.

Mr Katsiokalis, 48, said he feared he was going to die.

"The last thing I remembered before blacking out was someone about to stomp on my head - when I came to I was covered in blood - I couldn't see anything for the blood in my eyes," recalled the veteran referee of 22 years, who ended up in hospital with a facial fracture, a cut forehead and severe bleeding.

"Nothing as bad as this has ever happened before."

A Strikers player who saw the bashing said it involved about seven to eight people and lasted about 20 seconds.

"There was a group of players near the referee but those people just rushed past us and went for the ref," said the player, who didn't want to be identified.

"At that stage we were trying to hold more supporters back and then the attackers were gone."

Police, BESA and amateur league officials have condemned the bashing and urged witnesses to the brutal assault on Friday night, May 13, to come forward and identify the attackers. League president Bill Bailey said the violence was the worst in the league's 45-year history.

"We have 100 clubs, 240 teams and 4500 players and this is an isolated incident but the worst I have heard involving a referee in my 35 years in the game," he said.

"BESA were suspended straight away and we have formed an investigative committee into the incident but I wouldn't expect a recommendation for a few days yet."

Options could include kicking BESA FC out the competition, as has happened to previous amateur soccer clubs associated with the Albanian community. In July 2008, the Black Eagles Soccer Club, BESA FC's predecessor, was banned after a sickening brawl in which an opponent was kicked unconscious.

The Black Eagles were previously banned in 2005 after one of its linesmen punched a referee during a match against Polonia.

BESA FC secretary and player George Precaj said the "disgusting" attack did not involve any players or officials and was condemned by the club which was started last year.

"We are asking everyone to go straight to the league if they have any information because this is damaging to the players, the club and the Albanian community," he said.

"It was a cowardly act and we don't need that in sport or society."

Police Inspector Steve Kameniar urged anyone with information to phone Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or make contact online at sa.crimestoppers.com.au

---

"I COULDN'T SEE FOR BLOOD IN MY EYES"

PETROS Katsiokalis recounts the beating he took while refereeing an amateur soccer night match for just $70 a game

"THE game was initially played in good spirits. But about 20 minutes before the end of extra time I knew there would be violence based on the threats from fans and that one tried to hit me during the game.

"I asked the (Western) Strikers' coach to call the police.

"I blew the final whistle while on the opposite side of the ground to the fans but a group of about 20 to 30 sprinted across the pitch to get me and one fan in a grey hooded top ran straight at me and threw a punch at my face. I went down to protect myself and was kicked in the head by more than three people.

"The last thing I remembered before blacking out was someone about to stomp on my head - when I came to I was covered in blood - I couldn't see anything for the blood in my eyes. But the aggressive fans were gone and a couple of Strikers' players and coach helped out as did the BESA president and captain coach.

"I never thought anything like this could ever happen. I was taken by ambulance to the QEH and had two stitches on a cut to my forehead, grazing to my head, cuts and bruises on my body, swollen eyes and a facial fracture between my left eye and nose. I was released the next morning.

"I've had trouble sleeping, time off work and my wife has told me to give it up - but I love the game too much."
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Go home thugs.
    Risto the Great

Comment

• Makedonska_Kafana
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
      Go home thugs.
      I've been to many sporting events in my life but nothing could compare to a blood bath I seen during a soccer game between Serbia vs Greece in Toronto in 1975. It was game two that day, Macedonia beat Croatia 2-1 earlier. Sadly, some Macedonian fans also got involved (field) and were also charged and rightfully so.

Serbs and Greeks are not as close (lovers) as one may believe - orthodox church myth, politics.
      Last edited by Makedonska_Kafana; 05-22-2011, 07:08 PM.
      http://www.makedonskakafana.com

Macedonia for the Macedonians

Comment

• Risto the Great
        • Sep 2008

Who did the Macedonians go and fight for?
        Whatever answer you give will make me sick.
        Risto the Great

Comment

• Makedonska_Kafana
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
          Who did the Macedonians go and fight for?
          Whatever answer you give will make me sick.
          Serbian White Eagles who needed no help because the Greek fans were getting destroyed as it was - that's sport? Close, to 100 charges were laid and police backup was called in. How bad did it get? Families, were running out of the stadium with a look of horror on their faces.

So, next time the two teams met enter Australian rule 101 - no fans
          Last edited by Makedonska_Kafana; 05-22-2011, 07:26 PM.

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

isn't it allways a minority ruining it for the majority.What kind of a soccer game is it with no spectators.These people should be banned for life.
            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Makedonska_Kafana
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by George S. View Post
              isn't it always a minority ruining it for the majority.What kind of a soccer game is it with no spectators.These people should be banned for life.
              Tocno, stalno e taka sega - a few try to be the voice for all - red card aka flag
              Last edited by Makedonska_Kafana; 05-22-2011, 08:47 PM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                • Sep 2008

Hooliganism is one thing, bad as it may be, but this is disgraceful.
                In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• julie
                  • May 2009

Sickening , and this is how these thugs act with a soccer game it is frightening the message sent down to their offspring of hate and anarchy in a country affording them basic human rights and priveleges
                  "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• Stojacanec
                    • Dec 2009

My son plays for Western Strikers juniors and I heard about the fight. This Albanian soccer club have carved themselves out quite a reputation through many years of hooliganism. I've played against their predesessors in the 90s.

I understand having your differences in opinion in sport/referee decisions etc but this is below human standard.

They deserve to be kicked for good never to return.

Comment

• George S.
                      • Aug 2009

clubs that encourage fighting & civil disobedience should be closed down.
                      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Demirhisar
                        • Jan 2011

you should look up Preston Makedonia v Olympic on Youtube and watch those Greeks run

Comment

Working...
                        X