Still believe the Australian census figures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XRVOL
    • Jan 2009

Still believe the Australian census figures?

I was reading an article in the AMW about the new Macedonian program on Channel 31 called "The Macedonians in Australia".

In the article, it said that the average audience for the show was 23,000 households in Melbourne and peaked at 33,000.

The census figures say that there are 37,000 Macedonians in Melbourne.

I very much doubt that most/all, considering we are talking about HOUSEHOLDS here not individuals, Macedonians were watching this show, which goes to show that there is a major flaw in the Australian census count of ethnic minorities.
  • Дени
    • May 2010

Originally posted by XRVOL View Post
    I was reading an article in the AMW about the new Macedonian program on Channel 31 called "The Macedonians in Australia".

In the article, it said that the average audience for the show was 23,000 households in Melbourne and peaked at 33,000.

I very much doubt that most/all, considering we are talking about HOUSEHOLDS here not individuals, Macedonians were watching this show, which goes to show that there is a major flaw in the Australian census count of ethnic minorities.
    There's a major flaw in you equating television ratings with demographic data.

Comment

• XRVOL
      • Jan 2009

I'm sorry, i didn't realise the local Chinese population tunes in to watch the Macedonian program on Channel 31.

I am not using TV ratings to count people. I am using these figures to prove that the Macedonian population is much bigger than what the official figures suggest.

Comment

• Daniel the Great
        • Nov 2009

Don't forget, theres alot of Grkomani in Melbourne and Australia, so instead of 37,000 Macedonians in Melbourne make that 50,000 +.

Comment

• Дени
          • May 2010

I'm sorry, i didn't realise the local Chinese population tunes in to watch the Macedonian program on Channel 31.

I am not using TV ratings to count people. I am using these figures to prove that the Macedonian population is much bigger than what the official figures suggest.
          I guess American expatriates are the only ones that watch American Idol.

Comment

• XRVOL
            • Jan 2009

Daniel, it is much more than 50,000+.

Most Macedonians i know have not heard about this program let alone tune into it, which means the Macedonians that have (an average of 23,000) are a small part of our community.

Even if the figures were smaller, let's say 5-10,000, it would still suggest the same. Remember, it measures households and not individuals.

Comment

• XRVOL
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Дени View Post
              I guess American expatriates are the only ones that watch American Idol.
              Now that is one stupid comparison.

Deni, who would watch the Macedonian program on the local community station, Channel 31?

Comment

• Daniel the Great
                • Nov 2009

What i do know is that we are a very strong Macedonian community in Melbourne, we just need more unity.

Comment

• Дени
                  • May 2010

Originally posted by Daniel the Great View Post
                  Grkomani
                  It's so unfortunate that these people were forcibly assimilated, often with violence, but they nevertheless feel ethnically Greek now. They are not Macedonians.

Comment

• Дени
                    • May 2010

Now that is one stupid comparison.

Deni, who would watch the Macedonian program on the local community station, Channel 31?
                    Yes, it was a stupid comparison. Do you now understand my point?

23,000 (your figure) households who found it interesting, entertaining, etc.

Comment

• Daniel the Great
                      • Nov 2009

They are not Macedonians.
                      Of course they are Macedonians, they have just been badly brainwashed to think otherwise.

Comment

• XRVOL
                        • Jan 2009

Yes, it was a stupid comparison. Do you now understand my point?

23,000 (your figure) households who found it interesting, entertaining, etc.
                        23,000 (official figure stated in an interview with the programs producer) which peaked at 33,000 when they were showing the Macedonian protest in 2008. I guess lots of Maltese, Vietnamese and Australian viewers found it interesting listening to a foreign language while watching some unknown person speak behind a podium.

I, myself, tune into the Filipino program every week.

Comment

• Дени
                          • May 2010

Originally posted by Daniel the Great View Post
                          Of course they are Macedonians, they have just been badly brainwashed to think otherwise.
                          Irrespective of that, they are, by definition, ethnically Greek.

Comment

• Blagojce
                            • Mar 2010

If possible, could you find the original source of this information.

I think oztam.com.au should have it. Ill try and see if i can find anything.

Comment

• Blagojce
                              • Mar 2010

Here is the link to CH 31 for episodes of the program.

Comment

Working...
                              X