Is project Greater Albania gaining acceptance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Is project Greater Albania gaining acceptance?

ARTICLE (December 06, 2010) : The idea of a Greater Albania that was formulated some 130 years ago has floated back and forth between the realms of daydreams and realistic policies. It is essentially the concept of shifting Balkan borders one more time, to enable all ethnic Albanians to live in a single state. Now, with elections coming up in Kosovo, the idea may be returning to the Balkan political agenda.

Holidays, particularly big dates such as the Albanian national day, best illustrate the dispersion of Albanians beyond the country's borders. On these days, Albania's blood-red flag with its black double- headed eagle adorns houses in Presevo in southern Serbia, Tetovo and Struga in Macedonia, nearly all of Kosovo and parts of Montenegro.

They are raised, sometimes despite risk of legal prosecution, by Albanians who are citizens of other countries - Serbia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Kosovo and even Greece. Representatives of ethnic Albanians from all those places recently gathered in Tirana, the capital of Albania-proper, to sign a manifest declaring as their goal the establishment of a common country of all their compatriots.

Albania's political leadership did not openly endorse the effort, and Belgrade-based business magazine Ekonomeast scoffed at the idea saying it was "impossible." But is it really? After all, in Kosovo, which lies at the heart of the territory inhabited by Albanians, 90 per cent of the 2 million inhabitants are Albanians. Eighty per cent of them say they back the idea of a Greater Albania.

In Serbia's former province, the project is propelled by the Vetevendosje, or "self-determination" movement, led by former the former student leader and Serbian political prisoner, Albin Kurti.

Kosovo holds early elections onDecember 12 and Vetevendosje is taking part for the first time. As far as surveys can be trusted, it could create a major impact on the political scene.

In neighbouring Macedonia, Albanians make up close to 30 per cent of the 2 million inhabitants and more than half of them, 52 per cent, also support the idea of an all-Albanian state.

Political leaders in southern Serbian municipalities along the Kosovo border, where the around 100,000 ethnic Albanians make a local majority, also lined up behind the plan.

The Tirana writer and "politicologist" Koco Danaj is considered the "new father" of the project to shift borders to encompass all Albanians into a single country. And Danaj, 59, spares no effort to stir things up among his compatriots in neighbouring countries.

In his next move, in January, he plans to lodge a complaint against the 1913 London Conference at the United Nations' InternationalCourt of Justice in The Hague.

The conference in London extracted Albania from the Ottoman Empire, but some parts with Albanian population remained in other countries, including Serbia, today's Macedonia and Greece.

Contemporary proponents of the Greater Albania employ a two-pronged strategy to gather supporters. "We are a social-welfare movement." Vetevendosje chief Kurti said. He seeks to draw support from the reservoir of energetic young people, frustrated by economic hopelessness, poverty and unemployment.

The other direction of Vetevendosje action is to play up allegations of discrimination of Albanians in Serbia, Macedonia and Montenegro. Various sources estimate the number of Albanians in the Balkans at around 6 million. There are hundreds of thousands of more in emigration, mostly inGermany, Austria and Switzerland. Should they all become citizens of one single country, Albanians it would become the second-largest in terms of population in the region, behind Serbia, with 7 million.

But that would also change very quickly, as Albanians are recording a real population explosion, while the number of Serbs has been declining owing to emigration and a low natality rate.

And the prospect seems glum to Serbian leaders, already wounded by defeats in the wars of the 1990s and the loss of territories seen as Serb in Croatia and, particularly, Kosovo. Politicians in Belgrade are speaking of an outrageous "provocation" when Albanians in the south spread Albanian flags on holidays they see as their own and order police to act. "You can arrest me, but southern Serbia will be a part of Greater Albania by 2015," OrhanRedzepi, an Albanian leader in the so-called Presevo Valley, told the Belgrade daily Press.

Others among the Albanians are more subtle - aware that the term "Greater Albania" spurs fear in the region, they have replaced it with "Natural Albania." Now many look to Kosovo elections to gauge how far the project can progress beyond the utopian ideal.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com
  • Lion of Macedon
    • Jun 2010

Albanians need to be exterminated, if any one has a rightful claim to gain land back its Macedonia not these pigeons, where are they throwing themselves?
    ITS NOT THE LION WHO FIGHT'S BUT THE FIGHT WITHIN THE LION - SMRT ILI SLOBODA!

Comment

• Prolet
      • Sep 2009

Its the one thing that i dont agree with this Government, far too many rights and privileges have been given to the Albanians. Much more then the other minorities.

This is not just a problem in Macedonia its a problem in the whole Balkan Region.
      МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Lion of Macedon
        • Jun 2010

Our government do not function like any normal democratic government, i just cannot understand in the absolute backward and absurd decisions they make about everything, what is wrong with them? Do they not want to be Macedonian anymore, are they just waiting for someone to stroll in and take over, actions speak louder than words! WAKE UP MACEDONIA, DOSTA BESE!

Comment

• julie
          • May 2009

prolet you support the government and are blinded by your faith . Both political parties are promoting the suicide of our nation .
          "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• Lion of Macedon
            • Jun 2010

Could not have said it any better Julie, our own government are killing us!

Comment

• Daniel the Great
              • Nov 2009

The irredentist idea of a greater Albania (ethnic Albania) is very much so a big problem for Macedonia. The Albanian terrorists do not only want places with majority Albanians like Tetovo and Struga, but if you look at their psychotic maps you will see that they include places like Ohrid, Bitola, Prilep, and Skopje, so it's not so much a ethnic Albania they so dearly claim but rather these unrealistic claims of land that have nothing to do with them historically, socially or culturally.

I am sure if this idea gets put on the table the US and NATO will have strong support for such territorial aspirations, on the Albanian side of course.

We Macedonians have some very tuff times ahead and so we must unite as Macedonians.
              Last edited by Daniel the Great; 12-06-2010, 06:12 AM.

Comment

• Volk
                • Sep 2008

Albanians need to be exterminated
                Are you 12?
                Makedonija vo Srce

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

I have no problem with Albanians whatsoever. I have more problems with people who want to despise a nationality rather than a particular combination of human traits. I don't like Albanians who believe they are more justified in pursuing their human rights in Macedonia than Macedonians.

I don't like people who cannot understand that Macedonia is the home of Macedonians.
                  Risto the Great
                  MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                  "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Daniel the Great
                    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Lion of Macedon View Post
                    Albanians need to be exterminated
                    Originally posted by Volk View Post
                    Are you 12?

LoM, there is no need for that mindless dribble.

Comment

• fyrOM
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                      I don't like people who cannot understand that Macedonia is the home of Macedonians.
                      And those people will tell you they agree with you RTG that Macedonia is the home of Macedonians only they are long gone millennia ago and are buried in their homeland while you and I are co squatters on the land and hence it is up for grabs. Everything boils down to the identity question and if any do believe you really are Macedonia the who cares card is played as it is more advantageous to say you are not.

Comment

• fyrOM
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2010

The Albanian formula was tried and to a large extent succeeded in Kosovo. If the formula works why not repeat it.

When the population in Kosovo was reaching 90 percent was when they broke off. Why. Serbia was still a force and if let loose could have wiped them but only when the knew the cavalry will be just around the corner they really kicked it up. Likewise following the formula a population build-up followed by conflict only when big brother usa is waiting in the wings if things go bad will be repeated.

Serbia was demonised by the west for their actions in the rest of Yugoslavia. It was then easy for the west to carry forward this demonised image to the conflict in Kosovo and obtain an easy mandate to bomb the Serbs. Macedonia on the other hand was not actively shooting Albanians so could not be readily demonised to have an easy mandate to bomb them but the staged conflict with Albanians crying and claiming how unfair and suppressed life is for them in Christian Macedonia being shown 5 times a day on western media made it easy for the average Australian or any other westerner unacquainted with the situation to easily mentally substitute Serb for Macedonian and the demonising procedure was complete. An Australian I knew at the time made a very telling comment when he said he was very surprised with the daily news reports as he knew quite a few Macedonians and they always gave him the impression that Macedonian were a very reasonable people…fait accompli.

Macedonians want everything fixed by yesterday while Albanians are a patient lot and will gladly work towards their goals for 20 or 50 years or longer if need be. A person I know because of his work travelled from place to place and even back in the Yugoslav late 1980s was asked by an old Albanian if he knew anyone who might want to buy old wheat flower in bulk for stock feed. Playing along he asked to see it and was shown huge barrels full of flower which had some spider webs and was going a bit off. Saying he would ask around and get back to the Albanian he left knowing what he had just seen was food stock piling in case of a conflict…even then they knew Yugoslavia is going to crash and it might be an opportunity to try for their goals.

As we know Macedonia did not blow up into conflict like the other Yugoslav states and no opportunity presented itself. During the rest of the 1990s Macedonia remained peaceful forcing a waiting game while Yugoslavia blew itself up. To give impetus to the process the 2001 armed conflict was staged to gouge out extraordinary concessions which are and will be further used to legalise the break up of RoM. The surface looks smooth but the undercurrent is working towards.

Why make it legal. First of all to hold the high ground but also as a tool of success because they know the next conflict wont be a build up of force but an uprising by the people hence the need to use keep the pot on a simmer tactics…each little step isn’t enough to provoke major action…and if it did you will look like a crazed person over reacting…but piece by piece erode the Macedonian position and build their own…just keep waiting for that right time antipropaganda. I don’t know the qualifications of everyone on this site…professor and dr have been dropped in other threads I’m neither but do deal with a broad type of people on a regular basis and observing people is something I am good at. Even from the distance of Australia and my few trips back the signs are bad. Anybody thinking things are ok and a right moment is around the corner Ill just say have you heard the saying Too smart by half.

Comment

• julie
                          • May 2009

OziMak, agreed on all points.
                          There is a misconception on this forum intelligence is attained by the degrees one holds. Intelligence is not marked by the academic achievements one can eschew.
                          Life experience and the ability to laterally see effects of current situations leads to logical conclusions on possible outcomes.
                          You have hit the nail on the head, there is a smooth surface the Macedonians are lulled into. However smooth waters run deep and the undercurrent at play is what is the concern. Time, I will harp on that again and again, is being wasted with the "right moment", there are forces that are acting and at play that need to be quelled NOW. The right time Macedonians are waiting for will come too late. Whole villages have been vacated and Albanians own them . They are systematically buying and populating regions, and on this basis, have set the wheels in motion for a secession from Macedonia with their aspirations of a Greater Albania.
                          Macedonians current inaction in this, and the government is to blame without passing legislation on ownership and greater control on Macedonian property. ALbanians have bought these properties, without citizenship, and should not legally hold these rights.
                          The Macedonian government is not foreseeing the effects of their stagnant inaction, and the Macedonians, will be woken from their slumber when they will become a minority on their own land.
                          "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

Working...
                          X