X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Macedonian imagery and symbols vs "the rest"

I bought this really cool T-Shirt in Thailand a few weeks ago.
    It contained images from classic films. Elvis Presley with Ann Margaret (Viva Las Vegas), Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry) etc along with some Thai identities of obvious fame in Thailand.

It made me think how the status of the local celebrities was elevated in the mind's eye by locals in Thailand. Even if it is not obvious, it does somehow alter perception.

I will safely assume the following worldwide symbol for revolution is prevalent in Macedonia.:

Here is a good analysis of the power of his image:

Goce Delcev is obviously our symbol for revolution in Macedonia.

I wonder if putting the 2 images side by side would make sense to Macedonians. Personally, I find the image of Goce extremely powerful and most definitely on par with Che's famous image.

The man was an intellectual giant in a time of Macedonian slavery and his messages still need to be understood by Macedonians. Can you see how this kind of process might change perceptions in a country that needs every little bit of help it can get?

Do the Toshe with Elvis thing as well if it helps, but by all means, anything that helps Macedonian pride could not be a bad thing right now.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Let's have a competition about what we can write on a T-Shirt next to the 2 images of Goce & Che.
    Risto the Great

Comment

• blackcactus
      • Sep 2008

"rise and rise again until lambs become lions"

Basically, never give up!

Nice idea Risto
      The one who tells the story rules the World - Hopi proverb

“Your highness, when I said that you are like a stream of bat's piss, I only meant that you shine out like a shaft of gold when all around is dark” - Monty Python

Comment

• indigen
        • May 2009

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
        Let's have a competition about what we can write on a T-Shirt next to the 2 images of Goce & Che.
        I am sorry, RTG, but "Che" just does not do anything for me and thus I am against any association of the Macedonian struggle with him.

IMO, the strongest and most powerful national weapon we can use is our INDIGENITY and the main symbols that announce this to the World are the 16 ray Macedonian Sun (Kutlesh Sonce), Aleksandar III Makedonski and Filip II Makedonski! All nations use and need national symbols to solidify national pride and identity and Macedonians are lacking in that department.

We could also do with political poets, songwriters, singers and other cultural workers. I would love for us to have a Macedonian version of a Mutabaruka singing and writing about the Macedonian history experience and struggle in a highly entertaining, intellectual and political manner as he does about the African/Black struggle and experience.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by indigen; 11-29-2010, 01:29 AM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

I agree that much can be done with music and poetry.
          And we Macedonians have awesome "Blues" that are gut wrenching, it can also be made to be very musically palatable in a Western kind of way.

I certainly am not trying to make Macedonia into a communist state but note that Che's image has extended far beyond his own original ideals. I have no problem with that and what it represents now. If the imagery helps forge some "fire in da belly" ... so be it!
          Risto the Great

Comment

• julie
            • May 2009

absolutely . Delchev and alexander the great , tsarovite filip and samuil with the kutlesh sonce and the lion and my signature block risto . We need passion and pride to stay alive .
            "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• indigen
              • May 2009

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
              I agree that much can be done with music and poetry.
              And we Macedonians have awesome "Blues" that are gut wrenching, it can also be made to be very musically palatable in a Western kind of way.

I certainly am not trying to make Macedonia into a communist state but note that Che's image has extended far beyond his own original ideals. I have no problem with that and what it represents now. If the imagery helps forge some "fire in da belly" ... so be it!
              RTG, our indigenity is our strongest weapon and you can see that anti-Macedonians such Dimo Bechev are able to see that this is so, why it is so and their need to undermine that and restrict our roots to post 1945 artificial ones.

Secondly, I don't think Che is going to fire-up Macedonians but the big statute of Aleksandar Makedonski in Skopje and Filip II Makedonski in Bitola might go a long way to doing that.

Comment

• Bill77
                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by blackcactus View Post
                "rise and rise again until lambs become lions"

Basically, never give up!

Nice idea Risto
                Nice one BC.

I have one that is not original, but appropriate and sends a strong message non the less. Especially with the the face of Goce and Alex looking at you.

KADE SVE MAKEDONCINA!
                http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• makedonche
                  • Oct 2008

Goce Delchev

(Insert Photo)

Revolutionary of the mind, heart & soul.....
                  On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• blackcactus
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
                    Nice one BC.

I have one that is not original, but appropriate and sends a strong message non the less. Especially with the the face of Goce and Alex looking at you.

KADE SVE MAKEDONCINA!

Thanks Bill, by the way my line isn't original either, but it has strong meaning for me
                    The one who tells the story rules the World - Hopi proverb

“Your highness, when I said that you are like a stream of bat's piss, I only meant that you shine out like a shaft of gold when all around is dark” - Monty Python

Comment

Working...
                    X