X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Macedonian language classes in Australia

I was on the phone with Macquarie University in relation to their offerings on the Macedonian language. I was disappointed to hear they no longer offered the basic level course and was given an indication that it is more or less now being offered to service the remaining few who are completing their studies in Macedonian. That the Serbian courses are heading the same way as well.

This is quite a shame.

Are we aware of any other courses available externally that may be of use to our younger members?
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com
  • Makedonetz
    • Apr 2010

do you guys have your own private schools who teach macedonian to the kids? Maybe something like that should be good to have is schools are not wanting to teach Mk anymore
    Makedoncite se borat
    za svoite pravdini!

"The one who works for joining of Macedonia to Bulgaria,Greece or Serbia can consider himself as a good Bulgarian, Greek or Serb, but not a good Macedonian"
    - Goce Delchev

Comment

• The LION will ROAR
      • Jan 2009

RTG, I know one of the guys that is or has attended the course at Macquarie University.
      He told me that he another friend signed up just to keep the course at Macquarie afloat..
      The problem is there isn't enough Students taking that course..another issue is that Macquarie University isn't located near were Macedonians live..
      I know there are Classes (Saturday school) for kids to learn Macedonian..
      There is one at Rockdale and at Bankstown from what i know..
      The Macedonians originates it, the Bulgarians imitate it and the Greeks exploit it!

Comment

• lavce pelagonski
        • Nov 2009

And also in Lalor and Epping in vic they also teach it in class time at Thomo sec with Lube
        Стравот на Атина од овој Македонец одел до таму што го нарекле „Страшниот Чакаларов“ „гркоубиец“ и „крвожеден комитаџија“.

„Ако знам дека тука тече една капка грчка крв, јас сега би ја отсекол целата рака и би ја фрлил в море.“ Васил Чакаларов

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

Thanks guys, I was hoping for a correspondence style course.
          I might take another look at the online Macedonian course being offered in Macedonia.

Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Daniel the Great
            • Nov 2009

Here is free software i found a wile back, the free one is prety basic but premium must be good (but you have to pay for that one).

Language learning products from Transparent Language for education, schools, universities, libraries, government agencies, business, students and individuals. Learn over 100 languages including Spanish, French, Italian, German and more with online subscriptions, desktop software, iPhone applications and free language resources.

You can learn many different languages.

Comment

• Dejan
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by The LION will ROAR View Post
              RTG, I know one of the guys that is or has attended the course at Macquarie University.
              He told me that he another friend signed up just to keep the course at Macquarie afloat..
              The problem is there isn't enough Students taking that course..another issue is that Macquarie University isn't located near were Macedonians live..
              I know there are Classes (Saturday school) for kids to learn Macedonian..
              There is one at Rockdale and at Bankstown from what i know..

My brother is currently doing this course at the moment, and I believe that he and the other guys that signed up did so for the same reason, to keep the course afloat. Sounds like he's part of the same group that you may know
              You want Macedonia? Come and take it from my blood!

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

• Mastika
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Makedonetz View Post
                do you guys have your own private schools who teach macedonian to the kids? Maybe something like that should be good to have is schools are not wanting to teach Mk anymore
                No, there are no private Macedonian Orthodox Schools in Australia.

In regards to Macedonian language schooling in NSW;
                There are 4 Saturday Schools where the langauge is taught for yr's 7-12 (Bankstown, Rockdale, Newcastle and Wollongong)
                There are also several 'ethnic' schools which offer Macedonian at a primary school level, which are also on the weekend from memory.
                As for the Macquarie Uni. program, RTG has told us what has happened their.

It is disheartening to see the situation now when 15 years ago there were probably double the number of Macedonian ethnic schools and KUD's in operation here in NSW.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

What would you suggest to reverse this situation, what needs to be done?
                  In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• The LION will ROAR
                    • Jan 2009

Dejan, I'm sure we are talking about the same people..I bet I even know you..lol

This is just another example of our Macedonian community becoming more Australianised..
                    15 years ago there were double or even triple Macedonian Dancing groups..now there is only a couple left in Sydney..
                    Another example 15 years ago every week there was a Macedonian night life happening..you can always go and meet Macedonians there..such as CHICHO'S, ROWERS, LEVEL 24 AND MAKS NIGHTS..now it rarely happens..maybe a Easter or Xmas day..
                    Because this is diminishing how are the Macedonian going to meet other Macedonians..? sad thing is..more and more inter marriages will be common..
                    The Macedonians originates it, the Bulgarians imitate it and the Greeks exploit it!

Comment

• Mastika
                      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                      This is a good question to which I don't have a realistic answer. I think that all we can to is try as much as we can to get ourselves/our children involved in this as it community wide initiatives are unlikely to work. I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but decline is also apart of society just as was the rise 30-40 years ago. The fact that we are all posting here shows that we have some interest in Macedonia already and that we are interested in keeping our customs and traditions alive.

What I can suggest however is greater advertising of Macedonian language classes, making them the a meeting place for the parents (who would thus bring the children), make them "cool" again (this is a critical problem amongst many Macedonian youth, especially in Wollongong).

Comment

• Vangelovski
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                        Funding and enrolments...or just full fee enrolments. I'm not overly familiar with the situation at Macqurie University, but it appears it was due to a lack of interest.
                        If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
                          • Jan 2010

I used to go to Maco school on saturday mornings at Box Hill around 7 years ago or there abouts. I attended for a number of years but most where when I was around 7,8,9, years of age. There used to be 2 classes and it was quite well established but eventually it got to the stage where it was forced to close.
                          During that same period of time the same happened to the dancing club I attended. Lack of numbers after several strong years and I assume lack of funds as well.
                          It's a shame that these opportunities aren't as widely available as they once may have been, especially in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne where it is now virtually non-existant.
                          I didn't like waking up on saturdays and would usually be playing footy or soccer with the others in the class for around 30 minutes after the recess bell, or until the teacher came and cracked the shits, but regardless the social aspect was very beneficial.
                          Both were good fun and a great way to meet other Macedonians our age,especially since there aren't as many here in the eastern suburbs.

I'm hoping to travel to Macedonia again after my VCE so I can learn the language fluently and experience the culture once again.
                          Last edited by EgejskaMakedonia; 11-09-2010, 01:28 AM.

Comment

• George S.
                            • Aug 2009

There should be something that one could do by correspondence or over the net.
                            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Stojacanec
                              • Dec 2009

I have young kids 3 to 8 yrs old. I am willing to buy excercise books aimed at the different grades 1,2,3 etc. Without any formal classes I am willing to play the teacher for my kids.

So if there is a resouce centre for this I would appreciate the info.

Comment

Working...
                              X