X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jankovska
    • Sep 2008

life in Macedonia

As always I'd like to be the little reporter every time I go to Macedonia. I am enjoying life here, it's great to be home, to see people, to see the country, prosetki. I have to say that Macedonia is in my heart, I sit and bitch in London but when I come here I wonder why I ever left.
    People here however are not happy. Macedonia is so expensive. The only cheaper things are fags. Clothes, shoes are more expensive here than London, now sterling being low you can truly feel it. Food in the shops is more expensive than London too.Pampers nappy are 1000 denari for 54, WTF? Medication is also more expensive than London, some the same price. I wonder how people make it, I truly do. I was in Strumica and in the village the highest wage is 14000 denari, the manager's wage. Everyone works in the same factory, a young girl told me she gets paid 5200 wage.I spoke to one young mother who cannot breast feed and she is struggling to buy formula because it is around 700 denari for half the pack I buy in the UK.Oil is 85 denari, same price as the UK, sugar is the same price, flour is cheaper in the UK. People are being squeezed by the day and there will be a new wave of poskapuvanja. Electricity is the same as UK the only difference is if you can't pay your bill in time in the UK they give you extra time while in Macedonia they cut you electricity. I saw three houses in my mala in Kriva Palanka having their electricity switched off. That should be illegal to be honest. On the other side internet prices have gone down, all major mobile phone companies have started giving deals like you would get in the UK, I bit more expensive here but still something. In Gabrovo, Strumicko selo there are no young people, 4 young men are left, everyone went in Stranstvo. Another selo has NO young person.Bulgaira is printing passports like mad, apparently now the waiting time will be just under a year. Cars are still way more expensive than the UK and petrol is about the same. People are unhappy and bitch against the gov, to be honest I would too. I wonder how they make it. As I have said before and I firmly believe this our gov will squeeze people to a point of giving up. Let's hope this doesn't happen. And Prolet spare me the gov statistics, I watch them every day on the news. Funny how our gov has money to spend in adverts about themselves to play on all the VMROvski kanali but now money for road, hospitals. Joke
  • Prolet
    • Sep 2009

Jankovska, Thats your opinion so be it im not going to go against what you are stating here.

Are the people there nice and friendly towards you? Hopefully a bit of snow will fall in the next week or so, should be a good experience.
    МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Daniel the Great
      • Nov 2009

Jankovska, mi se gleda deka nashite od Makedonija se mnogu maceni, why is everything so expensive in Macedonia now? is it a result of the Macedonian economy?

Comment

• fyrOM
        Banned
        • Feb 2010

Not long ago in Vest newspaper they were saying the average pay in Macedonia is just under mkd30000.gross.

I had similar comments made to me about people being paid low wages and at first I too could not understand why wages were so low. In later conversation it came out the were working a 20 hour week or less. Dah less that a weeks work equals less than a weeks pay. That doesn’t change the fact if the only work you can find is for so few hours assuming you wanted more hours. One person I spoke to said she liked her short hours because it gave her time to catch-up on other things and be with her kids but still wished the hourly rate was higher and then proceeded to quote aussie hourly rates someone had told her.hahaha I had to ask did the person who told you this also tell you the cost of things.

Comment

• malenka
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by prolet View Post
          hopefully a bit of snow will fall in the next week or so, should be a good experience.
          Да ти врне у шијата! На народо још дрвата не са расцапени!

Comment

• fyrOM
            Banned
            • Feb 2010

Prolet ket te jadat ovie. Kako dete od kaj nas treba da znajs oktobarot e rano za sneg.

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

Thanks Jankovska,
              looks like Macedonia is closer to the EU than it really thinks. Already paying EU prices for everything.
              Risto the Great
              MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
              "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Jankovska
                • Sep 2008

People here take any job they can. The factory I mentioned above the working hours are 6am till 2pm and 2pm till 10pm. They don't get paid overtime and must work Saturdays.One of the girls I spoke to works in this factory for 5200 denari. All the people do the same job but different wage, weird. Macedonia is EXPENSIVE, very. Risto is right it is proper european prices, the only problem is europe can be cheaper.30 000 wage is a total lie. My husbands cousin said that in Skopje 400 evra is a good wage.Private businesses are not doing well, recession and all but no support from gov. That is the situation pretty much. The country still the same, beautiful, natural and simply warm.

Comment

• Prolet
                  • Sep 2009

Malenka, The country is much cleaner when there is snow and its healthier aswell because when it snows the temperature does not go below -5. You think about Drva in the summer time, they are already predicting this winter to be the coldest in 1000 years so now that we're in November its time to get prepared.

OziMak, 2ri Noemvri e denes i zimata ke bide kochan ladna, ke vidime vo drugite drzhavi kako ke bidi ali sekoj pat e po ubo koga ke padni sneg. Nema bakterii,bolesti, sve e chisto, rezervarite se polnat, ova se ochekuva stalno nekoj pat mnogu malku sneg pagjalo cela zima taka da na sve mora da bidish spremen.

Jankovska, There was an survey in the summer and it showed that Macedonia had the cheapest food in Europe, prices are up everywhere. I went to Stari Kraj last year and i thought the prices were very reasonable, all my friends who came back from Stari Kraj this summer told me that the prices (with aussie dollars) were very cheap. We all know the people are doing it tough over there, but you are suggesting that we are a 3rd world country like Somalia then its nothing more then scare monggoring.

Even at the most expensive restourants a Skopsko Pivo,Bitolsko,Zlaten Dab half a liter is no more then 120 denars and thats if you drink at the Elite prices, thats 2 euros everywhere else its over 5 euros. Here in Australia you pay $10

Jankovska, Quit smoking its bad for you
                  МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• The LION will ROAR
                    • Jan 2009

I agree with Jankovska and truly wonder how Macedonians cope on a day to day basis with the living standards...
                    When I was there in Bitola afew months back.. nearly every household who I new had at least one person was without a job..
                    allot of products such as Nappies as Jankovska stated including Meat, clothing was equivalent price to Australia.. but there income is an average of $10.00 AU per day
                    Another example.. if you want to take your family to the Swimming Pools it was 100 denars per person.. so a Family of 4 would cost you 400 denars, some would have to work nearly all day just to take the family out..as many would only get 600 denars per day..
                    Because there is no work so many become Taxi's drivers and it's cheap to catch a taxi but wonder how with the prices of fuel, the taxi's drivers can manage a living..
                    The Macedonians originates it, the Bulgarians imitate it and the Greeks exploit it!

Comment

Working...
                    X