X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blagojce
    • Mar 2010

New President of Brazil has Bulgarian origins, implications for Macedonia

As some people here might know, the new President of Brazil is Dilma Rousseff, whose father immigrated to Brazil from Bulgaria early last century.

With Dilma running an emerging economy like Brazil's, what do people think the implications will be for Macedonia, especially if Macedonia decides to focus on developing ties with the BRIC countries?

Lets hope sometime this century a Macedonian will become President or Prime Minister of a country outside of Macedonia!
  • Bill77
    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Blagojce View Post
    As some people here might know, the new President of Brazil is Dilma Rousseff, whose father immigrated to Brazil from Bulgaria early last century.

With Dilma running an emerging economy like Brazil's, what do people think the implications will be for Macedonia, especially if Macedonia decides to focus on developing ties with the BRIC countries?

Lets hope sometime this century a Macedonian will become President or Prime Minister of a country outside of Macedonia!
    I don't think there will be any implications for Macedonia in this case. Unlike countries such as US, Australia, that are heavily populated with Europeans especially from the Balkans and bulgaria, Rousseff would not have grown up with many if any bulgarians in Brazil to be brought up with bulgarian nationalistic views and propaganda. I would not be surprised if Rousseff did not know a word of bulgarian.
    http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Blagojce
      • Mar 2010

Can someone explain why Stavrevski is claiming Dilma's father is Macedonian? I am pretty sure if he was Macedonian we would know about it, nothing suggests for him to be of Macedonian descent. He was a major Bulgarian Communist.

Last edited by Blagojce; 11-02-2010, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
        • Sep 2008

Well, her father went to Brazil around 80 years ago. At that time Bulgaria was full of Macedonians. All of Pirin, half of Sofia .... anything is possible.

Notwithstanding this, I can't see Dilma knowing much more about Balkan issues than on a superficial level.
        Risto the Great
        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

Brazil's newly-elected President Dilma Rousseff is a Macedonian, according to a Facebook group that has emerged after media-craze in Bulgaria regarding Dilma's Bulgarian lineage.

Apart from the responsibility of governing one of the worlds biggest countries and most important advanced emerging economies, Dilma Rousseff will now have to face the worry of just which South-East European nation she actually belongs to.

Dilma's father Petar Rousseff was born in 1900 in the Bulgarian town of Gabrovo, and then emigrated to Brazil in the 1940s, where he settled and founded a family.

This has provoked the extraordinary interest of Bulgarian media, some of which are writing that Brazil has now something of a Bulgarian President.

The newly-appeared Facebook group, called "Dilma Rusev vistinska makedonka" ("Dilma Rousseff is a True Macedonian") has only 54 members at present but might well grow to tremendous proportions.

The hometown of Rousseff's father, Gabrovo, is in central Northern Bulgaria and nowhere close to the Bulgarian region bordering Macedonia (so-called Pirin Macedonia).

Little is known about Petar Rousseff's parents Tsana and Stefan and a possible heritage from Macedonian lands.

Since becoming an independent state in 1991, the ex-Yugoslav republic of Macedonia has had a number of protracted historical disputes with neighboring Bulgaria and Greece, in particular about the Macedonian or non-Macedonian nationality of a number of historical figures. Among them are Alexander the Great and Tsar Samuil (997-1014), whom Bulgarians recognize as one of their great Medieval rulers.
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Blagojce
            • Mar 2010

Her father emigrated there in 1929, at the age of 29.

I really would like to think that she is of Macedonian descent, but there has been no evidence from her to suggest she is. She has only ever expressed an understanding that her father was a Bulgarian, if he was a Macedonian I am quite sure she would have expressed this claim. The Bulgarian community is tiny in Brazil and i seriously doubt they would have had any influence on her belief.

The only good thing that can come from this is to show the Bulgrians how stupid and lacking their claims are on Macedonians such as claiming Samuel and all our revolutionaries are Bulgarian. They might see now how it feels to have comments simply stated without fact or reference rather general talk and presumption that someone was this or that.

To find a Macedonian in Brazil is very difficult, especially a Macedonian who emigrated there early last century. There are a few vitamin stores in Rio de Janiero named Macedonia, the owner is from Solun, if he is predavnik or not I am not entirely sure. I will find out next year.

If she did turn out to have Macedonian heritage, what a missed opportunity this would be for the Macedonian people. It shows how important Macedonian organisations need to be to keep the diaspora supporting the Macedonian cause and aiming to reverse the never ending attacks on the Macedonian people.
            Last edited by Blagojce; 11-02-2010, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• Blagojce
              • Mar 2010

Speaking to the Bulgarian TV channel bTV, Rousseff said the she was well aware of her Bulgarian roots, but never had the chance to speak the language since her father’s death, when she was 15.

Rousseff was born in the Brazilian southwest to a Brazilian mother, Dilma Coimbra Silva and a Bulgarian father, Pedro Rousseff (born Petar Rusev), who left his home country in 1929 to escape persecution for ties to the Communist Party, according to Dilma Rousseff herself.

However, Bulgarian relatives of Petar Rousseff tell a different story. According to them, he had left the country and a pregnant wife, because of debt problems. He had a son, which he never met, and who recently died.

Comment

• Prolet
                • Sep 2009

Interesting, Whats the Macedonian Community like in South America? We know people fled to Brazil,Argentina and Chile, there could be other countries in that region too.
                МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Blagojce
                  • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Prolet View Post
                  Interesting, Whats the Macedonian Community like in South America? We know people fled to Brazil,Argentina and Chile, there could be other countries in that region too.
                  A lot of the jews brom Bitola or Monastir as they like to call fled to Chile. I've found a few articles where they had organisations called the Sephardi Macedonian community or Sephardi Monastiri community of 'X', usually they have leaned towards using Monastir.

There is a small expat Macedonian Community in Chile, you can find them on facebook under Macedonian Diaspora Chile. All are born and raised in MK.

Like i said Brasil is a tough one to find Macedonians, i know of Bulgarians there. Very little Serbians, Croatians or Montenegrin Diaspora there that i know of. Greeks have a few churches, the Lithuanians are pretty well established there, they even have their own dancing group.

Argentina there seems to be some Macedonians, i know of one, she was born in the US but raised in Buenos Aires. She said there were a few hundred Macedonians in the city. Maybe El Bre could help us out on this.

The Montenegrins, Croatians and Serbians are pretty well set up in Argentina. In Chile's capital, Santiago, a section of a neighbourhood is named after Croatian regions and cities, Zadar, Zagreb, Croatia, Dalmatia and Split.

The Governor of a province in Argentina is a Montenegrin, they have a town named La Montenegrina and at least one Church.

A famous Argentinean had the first name Macedonio, some buildings and streets are named after him.

Also one of the Uruguayan football teams in the first division is named FC Danubio, after the river Danube. The founders were Bulgarians, founding it early last century.

I have tried to find Macedonians and Macedonian communities in South America but it really is tough. All i have managed to find are a lot of Croatians and Montenegrins. They seem to be dominant over there, especially the Croatians, who my Macedonian friend in Chile described them as 'if you know a Croatian in Chile, you have no problems'.

I have added a photo of the store in Rio called Macedonia. There are about 5 or so of these stores in Rio, most located in Copacabana.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

• Bratot
                    • Sep 2008

Protest to „Дневник“

Reading the many responses after the article in "Dnevnik" entitled "Pirin girl lead Brazil" we express support for the Internet community in its protest against the speculative claims that are destroying the reputation of the Macedonian state and Macedonian media...

in Macedonian lang.:
                    The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• Makedonetz
                      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Blagojce View Post
                      A lot of the jews brom Bitola or Monastir as they like to call fled to Chile. I've found a few articles where they had organisations called the Sephardi Macedonian community or Sephardi Monastiri community of 'X', usually they have leaned towards using Monastir.

There is a small expat Macedonian Community in Chile, you can find them on facebook under Macedonian Diaspora Chile. All are born and raised in MK.

Like i said Brasil is a tough one to find Macedonians, i know of Bulgarians there. Very little Serbians, Croatians or Montenegrin Diaspora there that i know of. Greeks have a few churches, the Lithuanians are pretty well established there, they even have their own dancing group.

Argentina there seems to be some Macedonians, i know of one, she was born in the US but raised in Buenos Aires. She said there were a few hundred Macedonians in the city. Maybe El Bre could help us out on this.

The Montenegrins, Croatians and Serbians are pretty well set up in Argentina. In Chile's capital, Santiago, a section of a neighbourhood is named after Croatian regions and cities, Zadar, Zagreb, Croatia, Dalmatia and Split.

The Governor of a province in Argentina is a Montenegrin, they have a town named La Montenegrina and at least one Church.

A famous Argentinean had the first name Macedonio, some buildings and streets are named after him.

Also one of the Uruguayan football teams in the first division is named FC Danubio, after the river Danube. The founders were Bulgarians, founding it early last century.

I have tried to find Macedonians and Macedonian communities in South America but it really is tough. All i have managed to find are a lot of Croatians and Montenegrins. They seem to be dominant over there, especially the Croatians, who my Macedonian friend in Chile described them as 'if you know a Croatian in Chile, you have no problems'.

I have added a photo of the store in Rio called Macedonia. There are about 5 or so of these stores in Rio, most located in Copacabana.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Look at the way Macedonia is spelled from that sign above the shop. The A is in greek lettering? maybe a bunch of grkomani who live in the diaspora down in brazil claiming to be "Macedonian origin"
                      Makedoncite se borat
                      za svoite pravdini!

"The one who works for joining of Macedonia to Bulgaria,Greece or Serbia can consider himself as a good Bulgarian, Greek or Serb, but not a good Macedonian"
                      - Goce Delchev

Comment

• Dimko-piperkata
                        • Sep 2008

Brazil's newly-elected President Dilma Rousseff is a Macedonian, according to a Facebook group that has emerged after media-craze in Bulgaria regarding Dilma's Bulgarian lineage.

Apart from the responsibility of governing one of the worlds biggest countries and most important advanced emerging economies, Dilma Rousseff will now probably have to face the worry of just which South-East European nation she actually belongs to, as the Macedonian Facebook group appears confident about knowing more about Dilma's origin that she knows herself.

Dilma's father Petar Rousseff was born in 1900 in the Bulgarian town of Gabrovo, and then emigrated to Brazil in the 1940s, where he settled and founded a family.

This has provoked the extraordinary interest of Bulgarian media, some of which are writing that Brazil has now something of a Bulgarian President.

The newly-appeared Facebook group, called "Dilma Rusev vistinska makedonka" ("Dilma Rousseff is a True Macedonian") has only 54 members at present but might well grow to tremendous proportions.

The hometown of Rousseff's father, Gabrovo, is in central Northern Bulgaria and nowhere close to the Bulgarian region bordering Macedonia (so-called Pirin Macedonia).

Since becoming an independent state in 1991, the ex-Yugoslav republic of Macedonia has had a number of protracted historical disputes with neighboring Bulgaria and Greece, in particular about the Macedonian or non-Macedonian nationality of a number of historical figures. Among them are Alexander the Great and Tsar Samuil (997-1014), whom Bulgarians recognize as one of their great Medieval rulers.
                        1) Macedonians belong to the "older" Mediterranean substratum...
                        2) Macedonians are not related with geographically close Greeks, who do not belong to the "older" Mediterranenan substratum...

Comment

Working...
                        X