• Show
Clear All
  • TrueMacedonian
    • Jan 2009

Top Chops David Belkovski

http://www.macombdaily.com/articles/201 ... 998333.txt

Top chops
    Published: Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Macomb Daily staff photo by Craig Gaffield David Belkovski's credentials include fourth place out of 400 students at the World Piano Competition.

Dakota sophomore to hone piano skills at Interlochen

A local high schooler — beginning this upcoming school year — will transfer and attend a prestigious school for the arts.

David Belkovski, 16, of Macomb Township and a recent sophomore at Dakota High School, has been playing the piano since it was first introduced to him at age 6 by his musically inclined father.

At first, the Macedonian-born David was resistant to the idea of taking on the piano, as his father, Peter Belkovski, kept persuading him to do.

But David caught on quickly, discovering a passion for it. Others soon realized he had the skill for it, too.

"I started playing … my parents put it on me and I kind of caught on quickly," David said. "I first started at a school with, like, 14 other kids and it was kind of bizarre. Soon I began with my first teacher and got really close with her."

More and more private lessons followed.

And with the number of lessons growing, Peter — a fellow musician on the side — found his pride in his son growing and growing.

"I push him to be better," Peter says, "just like a father does. But what I really want him to know — why I do all of this — is that I am very proud of him."

And now, with Peter's pride at a new peak, David will set off to the Interlochen Arts Camp near Traverse City, a boarding school for talented students.

"Over the summer I spent six weeks there," he said. "And I just fell in love with it. It was just an amazing atmosphere and the students there knew what I was talking about in music. It was just a much better atmosphere."

The cost was going to be substantial — around $45,000 per year tuition — and perhaps put a strain on the family. But after his audition and acceptance, David was given a $29,000 scholarship to continue in his music appreciation and training.

"I wish him all the best," Peter said. "He thought I never gave him credit, but I just want him to know how proud I am."

Peter went as far as to relocate the family to North Carolina a few years ago so David and his sister could attend Northwest School of the Arts.

David, at the time, had been through several years of training with a number of instructors — all of them elevating his understanding and talent for the piano.

But he found the class sizes and setting of that school too impersonal. They all moved back to Michigan.

It was soon after he found a new instructor in Marta Pietrzyk. It was with her that he truly took off — making it as far as the World Piano Competition just last June.

"She taught me so much," David said.

Out of more than 400 students, David took fourth place.

Now, as the new school year approaches, David prepares to follow his passion in music. He doesn't know exactly what he wants to do, just that the coming year will give him guidance.

Peter hopes his son will follow his passion and find a career in music and piano.

"I realize how much my son loves this kind of music," Peter said. "Now we get to the point where it's not what I like — I realize that — it's what he likes. I tell him, 'David, it's time for you to make the decisions.'"
    Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

Well that is truly an amazing story.His son didn't want to play the piano but with the right inspiration & dedication he became the 4th out of 400 that is truly amazing & that he is also a macedonian!
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
    X