X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnMKD
    • Apr 2010

Pieria region not in Macedonia?

I was just looking at the following map (and others) and I realised that the region of Pieria is excluded from Macedonia and that also the region of Xanthi is included. In both cases the Greek geography indicates that Pieria (Katerini) should be included, while Xanthi not (it should be in Thrace).

I have to highlight that the Archaeological site of Dion is nearby Katerini, which is attributed to Macedonians.

Does anyone know why it is like that?
    Macedonian and proud!
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Depends who draws it up John, here is another where Katerini is included:

In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• johnMKD
      • Apr 2010

Yeah this one looks better. It's almost as I knew it was. But why are there different ones? Are there different point of views as to where the borders of Macedonia should be?
      Macedonian and proud!

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

I would suppose there may be some, but they generally coincide with each other or are very close. The one you posted extends further west past Lake Ohrid than the one I posted. In the case of Katerini, it may have been perception, contemporary situation, oversight, etc, I can't answer definitely. I think it was produced in the early 1900's by Chupovski.
        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

John, notice in the map I posted where it displays a (unmarked) tri-angular area between Kostur (Argos Orestikon, the original homeland of Macedonian kings), Voden (Edessa, the ancient capital of the Macedonian kingdom), and Bitola (Heraclea, the city built by Phillip II), with Lerin in the middle? That particular area has always had a strong Macedonian element in both ancient and modern times.

Comment

• Onur
            • Apr 2010

This is the map of Macedonia according to Ottoman Empire and it suits to the John`s attributions about it;

This is the list of all districts in Macedonia according to Ottoman Empire;

Comment

• Struja
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by johnMKD View Post
              Yeah this one looks better. It's almost as I knew it was. But why are there different ones? Are there different point of views as to where the borders of Macedonia should be?
              According to Thucydides there was an existence of a small settlement in 424BC and near by there also was an Athenian colony, but the land was always Thracian during this period.

King Perdiccas II during his expedition against the Athenian colonies of Thrace captured the region of Dion with the help of the Spartans but it wasn’t until ~ 410BC King Archelaus had made Dion the religious centre of ancient Macedonia.

In 169BC it fell to the Romans, by 31BC when Octavian founded a roman colony and named it “Colonia Julia Augusta Diensis”.

After 230 or so years it was under Macedonian rule. As SoM said: “Depends on who draws it up”

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                • Sep 2008

Onur, the second attachment has "current country" written (in French) in the last column, and has Greece, Bulgaria, and Macedonia North -I know of no such state. What is the source of that list and when was it produced?

Comment

• Prolet
                  • Sep 2009

ummm interesting

According to that Ottoman Map, Prizren was part of Macedonia.
                  МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Struja
                    • Sep 2008

There just Vilayet or administrative divisions of the region. as you can see the Ottomans had 3 divisions...just like the romans divided up Macedonia into 3 provinces! interesting...

Comment

• Onur
                      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                      Onur, the second attachment has "current country" written (in French) in the last column, and has Greece, Bulgaria, and Macedonia North -I know of no such state. What is the source of that list and when was it produced?

I confirm that the map and the list of district names are from Ottoman sources, but this is from an old article of a French scholar written in French. It was somewhere in my HDD but i couldn't find it atm. Article was probably written in Yugoslavia era.

I took these pictures from one of my posts here;

Originally posted by Struja View Post
                      There just Vilayet or administrative divisions of the region. as you can see the Ottomans had 3 divisions...just like the romans divided up Macedonia into 3 provinces! interesting...

Yes, this was how Macedonia governed between 14th century to 1913. Three division named Manastir, Selanik, Uskup with 3 different prefects.
                      Last edited by Onur; 06-04-2010, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• lavce pelagonski
                        • Nov 2009

John, notice in the map I posted where it displays a (unmarked) tri-angular area between Kostur (Argos Orestikon, the original homeland of Macedonian kings), Voden (Edessa, the ancient capital of the Macedonian kingdom), and Bitola (Heraclea, the city built by Phillip II), with Lerin in the middle? That particular area has always had a strong Macedonian element in both ancient and modern times.
                        ________
                        Yes you are correct SOM it is Pelagonija
                        Last edited by lavce pelagonski; 06-05-2010, 04:04 AM.
                        Стравот на Атина од овој Македонец одел до таму што го нарекле „Страшниот Чакаларов“ „гркоубиец“ и „крвожеден комитаџија“.

„Ако знам дека тука тече една капка грчка крв, јас сега би ја отсекол целата рака и би ја фрлил в море.“ Васил Чакаларов

Comment

• Big Bad Sven
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Prolet View Post
                          ummm interesting

According to that Ottoman Map, Prizren was part of Macedonia.
                          When macedonia was divided into three "Vilayets" in the ottoman empire the ottomans put Kosovo, the Sandzak and parts of Crna Gora and i think maybe even bosnia into the "Kosova" Vilayet - which contain Skopje, Kumanovo, Stip etc

When Austria Hungary went deeper into the balkans and serbia became independant the non macedonian lands were removed from the vilayet and it was renamed to the "Uskub(skopje) Vilayet". Im assuming this is because Austria-Hungary annexed Bosnia and serbia got Crna Gora and kosovo.

Comment

• indigen
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by Onur View Post
                            Yes, this was how Macedonia governed between 14th century to 1913. Three division named Manastir, Selanik, Uskup with 3 different prefects.
                            I doubt that this was the same system from "14th century to 1913". But the Ottomans did ban the use of the designation Macedonia in administrative terms at some stage when political rivalry became intense in the region.
                            Last edited by indigen; 06-05-2010, 08:41 AM.

Comment

• johnMKD
                              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by lavce pelagonski View Post
                              Yes you are correct SOM it is Pelagonija
                              It's nice to know that , since I come from that triangle, thanks SOM. But I didn't know it's called Pelagonia. According again to my school memories, the region from Solun to Voden and Veria was called "Imathia" in the ancient times, where almost all archaeological sites in the Aegean Macedonia are.
                              Macedonian and proud!

Comment

Working...
                              X