X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kure
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Daniel the Great View Post
    Wow, they are very similar, except for a few. Have you been provided with a ancient tribe to go with your haplogroup? i was not because i only purchased the Igenea combi basic. Im interested to find out possibilities on what ancient tribes carried the I2a haplogroup.

Apparently our paternal haplogroups have been present in Europe for 15000 years. We escaped and survived the ice age, seeking refuge in the Balkans. I find all this DNA research very interesting.
    What part of Macedonia is your family from by the way? Mine is from Struga.

Comment

• Onur
      • Apr 2010

I was looking out for Y-DNA tests b4, and i read that having exact same allele markers in the same 12 Locus means that these two person sharing same ancestor in the past 30 generations.

You two differs in only 3 out of 12. So, is that means; like, you share same ancestor in the past 50-60 generations??? About 2500-3000 years ago from same man?? I have no idea but i am just assuming...

Btw Kure, does FTA website shows your possible ancient/old relatives according to your allele numbers? Does it give estimated number of generations between them and yourself?
      Last edited by Onur; 11-11-2011, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• Daniel the Great
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by kure View Post
        More recently my paternal side of the family is from Bitola, but, going back over 100 years ago during Ottoman rule before the Greek occupation of Macedonia we where from the Lerinsko region.

Comment

• United MKD
          • Jul 2011

Same here. Where abouts in Struga?

Comment

• kure
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by United MKD View Post
            Same here. Where abouts in Struga?
            I was born in the US, but my mother and father are from villages near Struga. My mother is from Jablanica and my father is from Bidzevo. How about yours?

Comment

• kure
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Onur View Post
              I was looking out for Y-DNA tests b4, and i read that having exact same allele markers in the same 12 Locus means that these two person sharing same ancestor in the past 30 generations.

You two differs in only 3 out of 12. So, is that means; like, you share same ancestor in the past 50-60 generations??? About 2500-3000 years ago from same man?? I have no idea but i am just assuming...

Btw Kure, does FTA website shows your possible ancient/old relatives according to your allele numbers? Does it give estimated number of generations between them and yourself?
              FTA does not give any information about my ancestors. It does match me up with current people in the database that are 'exact' matches with me (there are 4 and by there last names they all seem to be from the Balkans), which means that we that there is a 94.3% chance that we shared a common ancestor some time in the past 28 generations.

According to FTA, these are the percentages of a shared common ancestor if ones 12 markers matches another's;

Generations Percentage
              4 33.57%
              8 55.88%
              12 70.69%
              16 80.53%
              20 87.07%
              24 91.41%
              28 94.30%

Comment

• United MKD
                • Jul 2011

I was born in the US, but my mother and father are from villages near Struga. My mother is from Jablanica and my father is from Bidzevo. How about yours?
                Cool, I have relatives and friends from both villages. My father is from Lukovo and mother is from Mislesevo.

Comment

• kure
                  • Dec 2008

Onur, have you read anything about Haplogrouop I2a, specifically I2a2 Dinaric-South? For instance, what ancient tribes might that Haplogroup have been linked to? From what I've found on the internet, most seem to think it belonged to the Illyrians or Thracians.

Comment

• Onur
                    • Apr 2010

Kure, As far as i`ve read, I2a is believed to be existed in European continent b4 the arrival of R2b people. R2b is the main Y-DNA type in Europe and believed to be spread in to Europe from Anatolia.

I2a is the oldest known European Y-DNA type, therefore thats why they called it as Illyrians and Thracians because they are the oldest known societies in Balkans. All these are just predictions by using our current historical knowledge. But we don't know anything b4 Illyrian and Thracian era, so these are not facts. Actually, adhering societies to certain type of DNAs is a tricky business due to our limited historical knowledge.

Tough, i think it would be safe to say that your paternal ancestry belongs to the oldest peoples of the European continent. Btw, that last digit "2" and the tag of "Dinaric-South" are later addition and identifiers to your DNA caused by later mutations. You know, our DNA mutates in time and in different periods. So, your paternal ancestors later mutations matches the one observed in "Dinaric-South".

I gotta say that my knowledge about Y-DNA is limited. I just read some articles from time to time, thats all. Maybe i am wrong, i am not sure.

Comment

• Daniel the Great
                      • Nov 2009

Kure and I both belong to haplogroup I2a2, Sardians (Italian people) are majority I2a1, both are subgroups breaking away from haplogroup I. Does this mean that we are related to the Sardinians?

Comment

• Onur
                        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Daniel the Great View Post
                        Kure and I both belong to haplogroup I2a2, Sardians (Italian people) are majority I2a1, both are subgroups breaking away from haplogroup I. Does this mean that we are related to the Sardinians?
                        No. I2a is like ~12.000 year old. So, it`s predicted that you are related with Sardinans of ~12.000 years ago, if you are related at all but not with the today`s Sardinians.

Actually, all the I2a people are paternally related with each other but in a ~12.000 year old time frame then you are related with other "Dinaric-South" people in ~5000 year old time frame and it continues like that.

You cannot say for any haplogroup that belonging to one specific ethnicity e.g Sardinian Italians, because these ethnic names like Illyrians, Celts, Thracians etc. are 3000 years old at most, while I2a is ~12.000 years old. We know pretty much nothing about the ~9000 year old period between those.

Comment

• Daniel the Great
                          • Nov 2009

I am so confused with this i feel my mind is going to explode. I joined a group on family tree dna called I2a and they sent me a message via email.

This is only a bit of the message that was sent by someone called Bill Morrow, admin of the group i joined.

You are probably wondering what I2a2a-M423-Din-S means? The I2a2a
                          was assigned by ISOGG. The M423 means Familytreedna thinks you will test
                          positive for the SNP M423. Din-S is short for Dinaric Alps, south of the Danube
                          River. The Dinaric Alps lie on the north of Italy and extend southward along
                          the Adriatic Ocean. The Danube River begins in lower Germany and extends
                          eastward to the Black Sea. Go geographically, your ancient ancestors lived
                          in this area back thousands of years ago. You can read about your Dinaric
                          group at our I2a Website, using the link above.
                          Kure, maybe you can make more sense of this.

Comment

• Daniel the Great
                            • Nov 2009

I have just been added to to the same group you are in 'I2a2a-M423-Din-S in ISOGG tree, I2a2 in FTDNA tree' My last name is displayed on there.

Comment

• Voltron
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2011

Here is an interesting story of an African-American that finds his roots way back. He used Ancestry.com and some other sources with his DNA results to reach his conclusion. I was never one for these types of tests for the simple fact that they dont prove ethnicity. Its just a suggested blueprint of where your ancestors came from. There are two questions that has never been satisfactorly answered to me.

1) Where do they get the host DNA from ? Mummies ? Skeletons ? Where ?

2) How private is the DNA you provided to these agencies ?

The "Big Brother" feeling kind of freaks me out. I would of done it just out of curiousity though. That and I havnt received solid feedback on the first question. I think they are milking us for our feelings. Another big business.

Genes tell a tale as big as Africa

Comment

• Voltron
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2011

Added Links to subject.

Eupedia European Travel and History

Origins, diffusion, history, ethnic association of European y-chromosomal (Y-DNA) and mitochondrial (mtDNA) haplogroups and their subclades, with geographic distribution maps for each haplogroup.

Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation

SMGF provides the latest news and medical reviews on health supplements and products how it affects your health, diet, fertility and genetics

Ancestry.com

Comment

Working...
                                X