X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

French outrage over Tricolour bottom-wiping photograph

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

France's justice minister has called for legal action to be taken against a man who was photographed wiping his bottom with the French flag.

Michel Alliot-Marie said it was unacceptable for the Tricolour to be insulted in this way, and called for those responsible to be prosecuted.

Her response came after the photograph was displayed in a competition run by the media retailer, FNAC.

The image won a special mention in the "politically incorrect" category.

Taken on the street, the photograph shows a man seen from behind: his trousers are around his ankles and he is apparently wiping his bottom with a French flag.

Law-change call

The picture appeared last month in Metro, a free national newspaper, and was hastily withdrawn from the contest in the southern city of Nice after complaints from veterans' groups.

"As soon as we saw that people were shocked by the image, we withdrew it from the list of winners, with the photographer's consent, and we have not exhibited it," said a FNAC spokeswoman.

The government got involved after being alerted by a local MP, says the BBC's Hugh Schofield in Paris.

But under French law, it is only an offence to insult the flag in an event organised by the public authorities - not in a private, cultural event such as this, adds our correspondent.

Ms Alliot-Marie said that in that case the law should be changed.

"Presumably the law has the legal means to punish such an intolerable act against the French flag," said the minister's spokesman.

"If the existing law proves incomplete in this regard, it should be revised."
    Makes me wonder about flag laws in Macedonia. Because our flag has been treated far worse over the last 20 years.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com
  • Mastika
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
    Makes me wonder about flag laws in Macedonia. Because our flag has been treated far worse over the last 20 years.
    Macedonia NEEDS to have flag laws and ones which carry strong penalties. Wherever the flag of another country/opstina/religion etc. is flown the flag of the Republic of Macedonia needs to also be flown. It is disgusting especially in many of the Albanian majority villages/opstini where only the Albanian flag is flown. I am sure that for the many people here who have driven through Kicevo coming from Gostivar, that they it feels like Albania with Albanian flag, after Albanian flag, after Albanian flag. This is unacceptable! Police need to be given the power to dismantle any non-Macedonian flags and issue fines to the people who have hung them from their houses/banderi.

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

What people do to their houses is up to them.
      But the notion that Government buildings in Macedonia can display an Albanian flag is utterly ridiculous.
      Risto the Great

Comment

• Frank
        Banned
        • Mar 2010

In the republic of Macedonia a flag that is the official Flag of a neighbouring State should not be allowed to have such a dominate presence it is humiliating and totally shows no regard for the State

Albanians either need to understand that the Macedonian State Flag needs to be theirs too or if they like to display their cultural feelings then design and adopt a unique flag the showcases what is means to be an Albanian-Macedonian not the Flag of the Republic of Albania

The 16 Ray Macedonian Sun is associated with ethnic Macedonians and the Macedonian Minority but the Current State flag is not so why do Albanins have a problem with it.

I find it totally inacceptable.

Comment

• julie
          • May 2009

absolutely Frank, well said the 16 Ray macedonian sun. the real flag.
          "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• Mastika
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
            What people do to their houses is up to them.
            But the notion that Government buildings in Macedonia can display an Albanian flag is utterly ridiculous.
            I disagree strongly with your first point. It doesn't matter whether the flag is on a bandera (communal property) or from your house (your own property), wherever the flag of another country is flown it should be made law for the Macedonian flag to be shown alongside it. Could you imagine in Australia if Macedonians, Greeks, Indians, Lebanese, Chinese, Italians all put up their own flags without the Australian flag at say a church or a mosque?! There would be an outrage if say in Lakemba if all of the lebanese suddenly starting to post Lebanese flags from their houses and balconies.

In Macedonia the flag MUST be shown.

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Mastika View Post
              Could you imagine in Australia if Macedonians, Greeks, Indians, Lebanese, Chinese, Italians all put up their own flags without the Australian flag at say a church or a mosque?! There would be an outrage if say in Lakemba if all of the lebanese suddenly starting to post Lebanese flags from their houses and balconies.
              I don't think there would be an outrage.
              I see it occasionally. Government and community buildings are very different, what happens within one's personal property is up to the individual owner. It may well be distasteful, but I believe would be an invasion of one's rights.
              Risto the Great

Comment

Working...
              X