Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Delodephius
    • Sep 2008

I think they just overexaggerate. Nothing serious I think. You are not discussing with professionals here. Neither are we.
    अयं निज: परो वेति गणना लघुचेतसाम्।
    उदारमनसानां तु वसुधैव कुटुंबकम्॥
    This is mine or (somebody) else’s (is the way) narrow minded people count.
    But for broad minded people, (whole) earth is (like their) family.

Comment

• Delodephius
      • Sep 2008

Also the "slavic migrations" are dated exactly before these slavic toponyms start to be mentioned in the sources.
      A coincidence again..or just the same reasonable simple explanation...?
      I consider the Slavic migration hypothesis to be false from various other reasons. It is however far from simple and one of the main reasons why the hypothesis is wrong because people thought the whole situation could be explained with a simple hypothesis.

As I said before, I don't think it's a conspiracy theory. I think it's human stupidity and simple-mindedness that gave birth to the Slavic migration theory.

Comment

• El Bre
        • Sep 2008

Nun is kalo(good)+gria(oldwoman)=kalogria.
        I'm telling you that in my corner of Macedonia, a Kalogeritsa is a nun. Are you doubting the veracity of my statement?
        Of course the root word is going to be Greek. There was no other church in the area for hundreds of years.
        The itsa is obviously there because it is part of our vernacular.
        Last edited by El Bre; 09-14-2008, 09:42 PM.

Comment

• Вардарец
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by El Bre View Post
          I'm telling you that in my corner of Macedonia, a Kalogeritsa is a nun. Are you doubting the veracity of my statement?
          Of course the root word is going to be Greek. There was no other church in the area for hundreds of years.
          The itsa is obviously there because it is part of our vernacular.

OMG EL BRE, how can you say that? The root is greek and the village must be greek. One of my grandmother comes from the village of BelimbegOVO (now renamed to Ilinden). The root is turkish - belimbeg, the ending is Macedonian OVO, but apparently not even 1 turk lives there.
          For the glory of the Hellenes! Abandon orthodoxy and join your true religion! http://www.hellenicreligion.gr/... Zeus awaits you!

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

Galata the milkman, hehehehe.

That placename comes from the Celtic tribes which settled in that region during the classical period, not from the local Hellenic milkman.
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• toothpaste
              Banned
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
              Galata the milkman, hehehehe.

That placename comes from the Celtic tribes which settled in that region during the classical period, not from the local Hellenic milkman.
              The Celtic tribes ? Omg! Were in wiki did u read this ?

The nearest in Byzantium/Galata region, Celtic tribes settled were the Bastarnae -in North Thrace/Mysia ,and the Gauls (Galates in Greek) in Phrygia (central Asia Minor !)

They called themselves Gauloise ,and when they gradually quit their language in favor of Greek (Galates )
              However "Galat-es" is plural ,while Galatas in singular.

Check again your wiki experts..

Comment

• Delodephius
                • Sep 2008

How ironic that each accuses the other of being a wikipedian.

Comment

• GREEKoccupiedMacedonian
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2008

Can't trust those Wikidontists.

Comment

• Delodephius
                    • Sep 2008

First time I thought a Greek say that. After all, Greeks were banned from this very forum not a few weeks ago exactly for spamming from Wikipedia. Ironic isn't it.

Comment

• GREEKoccupiedMacedonian
                      Banned
                      • Sep 2008

Your right. Quoting Wikipedia is highly dubious, unlike quoting cold hard facts from Chris Stefov literature.

Comment

• Delodephius
                        • Sep 2008

On a scale I would say Risto's literature is bit better. It's no gospel of truth, but at least he is a honest researchers.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

The list on the original post of this thread has been partially updated. It is quite time consuming so the process continues as normal.

Flicking through this thread, about half of the posts have been conversations and off-topic, lets stick to the topic at hand.

Where's the Russian linguist Nakov, I want his opinionitsa here
                          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Svoliani
                            Banned
                            • Sep 2008

The list looks the same as it did before..
                            anyways more filtering

A few of the ones in CAPITAL LETTERS that need to be adressed

ORIZARTSI - Oriza in Latin = Rice from Greek Oryza
                            DRAGANI - could mean Dragon from Greek Drakon or a Dragatis = keeper of the vineyard or keeper of the field. In any case definately not Slavic.
                            METSOVO - formerly Metsovon , this is from Metsovone , a type of cheese , maybe latin origin since its the capital of the Vlachs.
                            ANASTASOVA - clearly from the word Anastasi = Resurrection

Arkouditsi - Arkouda = bears , lots of bears in Epirus and Pindus
                            Nisi Karvouno - nisi = island karvouno = charcoal
                            Kato Retsina - retsina = a greek wine retsino = castor
                            Kato Voskina - Voskos = ovchar , sheppard
                            Klidoniavista - Klidonia = Lock Ista is not Itsa
                            Kokkinitsa - Kokkino = red
                            Kounoupitsa - who knows maybe theres alot of kounupia (mosquitos) lol
                            Karditsa - Kardia = heart
                            Kammeno - although Kamen means rock in Slavic, in this case Kammeno means Burnt in Greek.

Comment

• Delodephius
                              • Sep 2008

The first four are definitely Slavic. When you say "In any case definitely not Slavic" I assume you have proper knowledge of at least several Slavic languages? Right? Or do you assume that when you provide a Greek etymology of a toponym it instantly dismisses the Slavic one just like that without any doubt?

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                                • Sep 2008

Metsovone Cheese, LOOOLLLLLLL, on ya Nakov

Coming from the same person who wrote Kastanitsa - chestnuts.

Hey, have you ever asked a Croatian or a Polish person how they say 'chestnut'? Perhaps Papadoglou also made colonies in Warsaw

Oriz in its similar variants is a common European word you fool.

Dragan is definetly not Slavic? Hahaha

Please, keep "filtering", the comedy is good.

Comment

Working...
                                X