Modern Greece 1st constitution, a "Greek" is a Christian, 1827!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

SS you mention how the toponyms were changed from "Slavic "" to greek ones.THe greek authorities were warned about the renaming of woden to edesssa.THey were told that woden or vedy place of water was derived from a ancient Macedonian word of water,but the greeks didn't listen they changed it to Edessa.It was a move to make everything sound greek.
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Sweet Sixteen
      Banned
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by George S. View Post
      SS you mention how the toponyms were changed from "Slavic "" to greek ones.THe greek authorities were warned about the renaming of woden to edesssa.THey were told that woden or vedy place of water was derived from a ancient Macedonian word of water,but the greeks didn't listen they changed it to Edessa.It was a move to make everything sound greek.
      Edessa was the original Macedonian name of the city from antiquity till about 6th century AD; Vodena is a Slavic name that appears around 10th century AD. So, the original name was rightfully and correctly re-established.

Comment

• Niko777
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Sweet Sixteen View Post
        Edessa was the original Macedonian name of the city from antiquity till about 6th century AD; Vodena is a Slavic name that appears around 10th century AD. So, the original name was rightfully and correctly re-established.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edessa,_Greece
        Yea I'm sure that's why Greece renamed it to Edessa, to "rightfully" and "correctly" re-establish a name that was not used by the city's native inhabitants since at least the 6th century. Tell me SS, what about the rest of the 1,800 name changes in Aegean Macedonia? Were those name changes also "rightfully" and "correctly" re-established?

Comment

• Sweet Sixteen
          Banned
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Niko777 View Post
          Yea I'm sure that's why Greece renamed it to Edessa, to "rightfully" and "correctly" re-establish a name that was not used by the city's native inhabitants since at least the 6th century. Tell me SS, what about the rest of the 1,800 name changes in Aegean Macedonia? Were those name changes also "rightfully" and "correctly" re-established?
          My opinion may vary per case.

Generally, when a glorious and important ancient name is re-established I agree.

When a Greek name is officially preferred over a foreign one I agree.

When there's no Greek name and a foreign name is Hellenized or translated to Greek or a new Greek name is invented I may agree or disagree depending on whether the Greek name is tastefully chosen.

Overall, regarding cities and villages names I find the Hellenization process of the 1910s or 1920s a normal thing.

Comment

• Niko777
            • Oct 2010

Overall, regarding cities and villages names I find the Hellenization process of the 1910s or 1920s a normal thing.
            I find the forceful renaming of towns and villages against the will of it's inhabitants anything but a normal thing.

Comment

• Niko777
              • Oct 2010

Just because the name is not Greek does not make it foreign

When there's no Greek name and a foreign name is Hellenized or translated to Greek or a new Greek name is invented I may agree or disagree depending on whether the Greek name is tastefully chosen.
              If a town's name is not Greek, why is it considered foreign? If an existing name has to be translated or invented in Greek, then it's the Greek name that is foreign.

Comment

• Sweet Sixteen
                Banned
                • Jan 2014

I find the forceful renaming of towns and villages against the will of it's inhabitants anything but a normal thing.
                What makes you think it was "forceful" and "against the will of its' inhabitants"? Can you bring an example, where the inhabitants disagree and protest? While those decades were heated there were both democratic and dictatorial intervals. Also, it’s never too late to adverse a renaming if you want.

Just because the name is not Greek does not make it foreign
                A non-Greek name is foreign from a Greek point-of-view just as a Greek name is foreign for you.

Comment

• Niko777
                  • Oct 2010

What makes you think it was "forceful" and "against the will of its' inhabitants"? Can you bring an example, where the inhabitants disagree and protest? While those decades were heated there were both democratic and dictatorial intervals. Also, it’s never too late to adverse a renaming if you want.
                  The Macedonian inhabitants of these villages had no say at the time when their villages were renamed. The new law came from a higher level of government. Often the former name was banned along with their native Macedonian language. The goal here was to completely erase their language and that's why their village names had to change.

It's never too late to adverse a renaming? Not too long ago the inhabitants of Ovcharani sent a petition to the Greek government asking not to adverse the renaming of their village but to simply include the original name alongside the new Greek one. They still haven't received a response, the government completely ignored their request.

Comment

• Niko777
                    • Oct 2010

A non-Greek name is foreign from a Greek point-of-view just as a Greek name is foreign for you.
                    I don't support any name changes and I don't care if a settlement's name is Vlach, Turkish, Albanian, or whatever other language. In the Republic of Macedonia there is a village in the Strumica region called Ednokukjevo meaning "one house" in Macedonian. A century ago a pro-Greek group of villagers separated and established a new village called "Monospitovo". Today both villages exist, with both names being intact, no one renamed anything.
                    Last edited by Niko777; 04-06-2014, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• Sweet Sixteen
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2014

The Macedonian inhabitants of these villages had no say at the time when their villages were renamed. The new law came from a higher level of government. Often the former name was banned along with their native Macedonian language. The goal here was to completely erase their language and that's why their village names had to change.
                      That’s mostly a cliché, that’s why I asked for specific descriptions (just for the hell of it) and reminded you that not all intervals in the 1910s-1920s or since then were dictatorial.

It's never too late to adverse a renaming? Not too long ago the inhabitants of Ovcharani sent a petition to the Greek government asking not to adverse the renaming of their village but to simply include the original name alongside the new Greek one. They still haven't received a response, the government completely ignored their request.
                      I don’t know what the authorities responded, but I DO know that they are obliged to give SOME response within (probably) 15 days. If we haven’t heard anything new, that probably means some choose not to inform us or to misinform us.

Some of the requests were beyond the powers of local council (changes in educational system) but others (I find) can be very well served by local administration. They can’t change the official (Greek) language, but maybe they can change their name (if they write it in Greek), they can certainly use bilingual signs, they can certainly provide (afternoon or weekend) language lessons as a local community (it’s very common). I don’t know if it’s lack of funds or political will. I don’t know if the approval of Municipality of Florina is necessary, but until a few years ago Melite was a sole community (or municipality).

I don't support any name changes and I don't care if a settlement's name is Vlach, Turkish, Albanian, or whatever other language. In the Republic of Macedonia there is a village in the Strumica region called Ednokukjevo meaning "one house" in Macedonian. A century ago a pro-Greek group of villagers separated and established a new village called "Monospitovo". Today both villages exist, with both names being intact, no one renamed anything.
                      That’s good for you. I’ll see if you will keep your promises (I live in… Solun)

Last edited by Sweet Sixteen; 04-06-2014, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• Niko777
                        • Oct 2010

I don’t know what the authorities responded, but I DO know that they are obliged to give SOME response within (probably) 15 days. If we haven’t heard anything new, that probably means some choose not to inform us or to misinform us.
                        Since when is the law respected in Greece? They were obliged and they didn't. The request was dismissed as if we don't even exist.

Comment

• Niko777
                          • Oct 2010

Another example where Greek authorities were "obliged" to do something (something as simple as setting a court hearing date) and yet have failed to do so...

Vinozito’s Lawsuits in Greece Await Trial Date for 5 Years

Comment

• Momce Makedonce
                            • Jul 2012

My opinion may vary per case.

Generally, when a glorious and important ancient name is re-established I agree.

What about the changing of Macedonian people`s last names to Greek sounding ones? Was this also a "normal thing" and acceptable ??

Should the Australian government forcibly change my last name to something like Smith or Richards to make me appear Anglo ??
                            "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task." Goce Delcev

Comment

• George S.
                              • Aug 2009

the changing of the names wasn't helenisation it was a forced thing on the population,they didn't have a choice in the matter some renaming was made on the fly & they called places anything they liked to call them.
                              "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                                • Aug 2009

sss a fine example is when Julie's mother tried to go to her old village which was no longer there.When the authorities heard they banned her from entering Greece & was told to go back.The authorities didn't like her using the old name for her village.Julie is the one with the Cleopatra symbol,There are a lot of examples around.
                                Last edited by George S.; 04-07-2014, 01:27 AM.
                                GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
                                X