Edinstveni Makedonski Zborovi - Unique Macedonian Words (postable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TojSum
    • Feb 2012

Does anyone heard about this Macedonian word:
    Cyrillic transcription: ѕенѕер – ѕенѕери
    Latin transcription: dznedzer - dzendzeri
    ?

Comment

• Po-drum
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by TojSum View Post
      Does anyone heard about this Macedonian word:
      Cyrillic transcription: ѕенѕер – ѕенѕери
      Latin transcription: dznedzer - dzendzeri
      ?
      Yes, and there are different forms (ѕенѕер, ѕрѕалии, ѕрнѕалии...) of this borrowing by turkish "zerdeli" (in fact it's persian, meaning "yellow plum").
      Macedonia - my shoulders from ruins and skies

Comment

• TojSum
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Po-drum View Post
        Yes, and there are different forms (ѕенѕер, ѕрѕалии, ѕрнѕалии...) of this borrowing by turkish "zerdeli" (in fact it's persian, meaning "yellow plum").
        Not really. Its with orange color and it means apricot. Latin name of apricot is Prunus armeniaca. Its used in Tikvesh region (mostly in Kavadarci). About ethimology of the word i dont have an idea (In fact, i don't have a clue from etymology) but it doesn't sounds like turkish word.

Comment

• Po-drum
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by TojSum View Post
          Not really. Its with orange color and it means apricot. Latin name of apricot is Prunus armeniaca. Its used in Tikvesh region (mostly in Kavadarci). About ethimology of the word i dont have an idea (In fact, i don't have a clue from etymology) but it doesn't sounds like turkish word.
          I know perfectly how it looks.
          In fact I have one tree of "ѕрнѕалија".
          You can read about it here, under the name зерделија.
          Maybe it doesn't sound turkish, because it's borrowed from persian through turkish.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

I recently read that the Thracian suffix -ula could be the origin for name endings like Kardelj, Seselj, Sekula, etc. If anybody has an opinion on this, please share it.

Also, I would be interested to know how the word 'Zora' developed from PIE. Was it an independent word or related to 'Gora' or something similar?
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
              • Sep 2008

Does anybody know the origin of the Macedonian word 'опинај'? It can be used in the following context - "не се опинај". I would be interested to know if it used in other Macedonian dialects, and am wondering if it is etymologically connected to the traditional footwear known as "опинци".

Serbian(Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian) òpanak/о̀панак and Bulgarian/Macedonian опинок all ultimately derive from Proto-Slavic *opьnъkъ, which itself is a compound of the prepositional *o(b)- "around, on, etc." with final *b assimilated and the resulting greminated consonant cluster *pp being simplified to *p, and the vrddhi-lenghthened root vowel of the verb *pęti, originally meaning "to strain, move" (cf. modern standard Serbo-Croatian verbs conveying the same notion such as nàpēti/на̀пе̄ти, pròpēti/про̀пе̄ти, ràspēti/ра̀спе̄ти, pòpēti/по̀пе̄ти..), but subsequently coming to mean "to climb" (whence the meaning of modern standard Serbo-Croatian pȇti/пе̑ти, pènjati/пѐњати). So literally, opanak would roughly mean "climbing footwear".[1]
              In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Po-drum
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                Does anybody know the origin of the Macedonian word 'опинај'? It can be used in the following context - "не се опинај". I would be interested to know if it used in other Macedonian dialects, and am wondering if it is etymologically connected to the traditional footwear known as "опинци".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opanci
                Yes it's used predominantly in eastern group of dialects where it is used instead of "тегне".

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

Thanks Po-drum. What would be the most accurate English translation of 'opinaj' in your opinion? Is it exactly the same as 'tegne' (stretch) or does it have a slightly different yet relative meaning? I use both 'tegni' and 'opinaj', and don't interchange them. I have always known 'ne se opinaj' to mean something like "don't [physically] advance", or something along those lines.

Comment

• ProMKD
                    • Oct 2011

Thanks Po-drum. What would be the most accurate English translation of 'opinaj' in your opinion? Is it exactly the same as 'tegne' (stretch) or does it have a slightly different yet relative meaning? I use both 'tegni' and 'opinaj', and don't interchange them. I have always known 'ne se opinaj' to mean something like "don't [physically] advance", or something along those lines.
                    I would use не се опинај like `do not over exert yourself`

In my family we say не се оптеретувај

On a side note of опинај, have you heard опинци ?

My dad used to say `опинци!` like `ya right!`
                    www.everythingmacedonia.com
                    Support tourism to Macedonia!

Comment

• George S.
                      • Aug 2009

I agree but rember as well different words like ne se machi,ne se otepuvaj,
                      ne turkaj,(Don't push it).
                      opinici they are like shoes,you know the ones the kids dance in pigskin shoes,also the half gumboot type shoes with attachment.napraveni se od guma(luge gi koristat za rabotajne vo bafcata oti voda ne pustat i cismi ne trebat da koristat)
                      Last edited by George S.; 04-24-2012, 04:03 PM.
                      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• ProMKD
                        • Oct 2011

Ya I know they are shoes, but I always wondered why it was used in the context "ya right"
                        www.everythingmacedonia.com
                        Support tourism to Macedonia!

Comment

• George S.
                          • Aug 2009

It's like my oath,zimi majka.Mojata kletva vo opincite,My bloody oath.etc
                          "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by ProMKD View Post
                            Ya I know they are shoes, but I always wondered why it was used in the context "ya right"
                            It's probably like when some people say шипинки or јајца in the context of "yeah right, whatever".

Comment

• United MKD
                              • Jul 2011

It's probably like when some people say шипинки or јајца in the context of "yeah right, whatever".
                              шипинки probably the best word in our vocab.

Comment

• Po-drum
                                • Mar 2009

This is the most complete explanation of the different uses and meanings of "opina".. http://www.makedonski.info/show/%D0%...5/%D1%81%D0%B2

опнат; опни, +
                                Вид збор: Глагол, свршена форма
                                1. Силно напрегне, запне да направи нешто.
                                Англиски: strain
                                Примери:
                                Токму поради стравот што пред малку му ги стегна градите, сега уште посилно опна, па побрза да се врзе со појасот.
                                2. Затегне, доведе нешто во затегната, оптегната состојба.
                                Англиски: tighten
                                Примери:
                                Тромите прсти удрија по опнатите жици.
                                3. За дел од тело - истегне, протегне, испружи.
                                Англиски: stretch
                                Примери:
                                Ги опна рацете кон ѕидот и силно воздивна.
                                4. Стави, намести.
                                Англиски: put
                                Употреба: Разговорно
                                Примери:
                                Ја опнале тавата, ги напржиле рибите.
                                5. За шатор - оптегне, растегне.
                                Англиски: tighten
                                Примери:
                                Го упатија кон она шаторско крило што го опнаа под една карпа.
                                6. Удри, тупне, перне некого.
                                Англиски: strike
                                Употреба: Преносно значење
                                Примери:
                                Не сакајќи, го опна со лактот по главата.
                                7. Даде, наметне нешто на сила.
                                Англиски: force
                                Примери:
                                Багажот мене ми го опнаа да го носам.
                                8. Натера, принуди некого да работи, да прави нешто.
                                Англиски: force
                                Примери:
                                Ех, да ги опнам малку на сонце, та малку да пожнијат, ќе заборават каде им е главата, а каде нозете.
                                9. Испие, изeдe наеднаш нешто.
                                Англиски: topple
                                Употреба: Преносно значење , Разговорно
                                Примери:
                                Опна eдна чашка, опна две и се подобро се чувствуваше.
                                10. Започне да прави нешто.
                                Англиски: start
                                Примери:
                                Штом ќе излезеше од селото, ќе опнеше еден разговор за времето со него.
                                11. (се опне) Се напрегне, запне да направи нешто.
                                Англиски: strain
                                Примери:
                                Се опна да ја дигне вреќата сам.
                                12. (се опне) Се истегне, се протегне, се испружи.
                                Англиски: stretch
                                Примери:
                                Тенките и ковчести раце на првиот пак се опнаа.
                                13. (се опне) Се наметне некому, отиде некому без срам.
                                Англиски: impose
                                Примери:
                                Вечерта неколкумина од нив му се опнаа дома на разговор.
                                Изведенки
                                1. опнува несв.
                                (се) опнуваат
                                2. опнување ср.
                                глаг. им.

Comment

Working...
                                X