Edinstveni Makedonski Zborovi - Unique Macedonian Words (postable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Дени
    • May 2010

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
    I finally caught up with him again and he confirmed that the -dim and -din endings are also used for words like beğenmek, so it looks like you were right, the -d in Macedonian comes from one of the below verbs:

So it would be something like beğenmek -> beğendim, beğendin, etc -> bendi(sa).
    I came across something interesting from Friedman. I guess the /-d(i)-/ is from Turkish and the /-(i)sa/ is from Greek...

The suffix /-uva/ is also productive in forming verbs from other parts of speech: збор/zbor ‘word’, зборува/zboruva ‘speak’, старт/start ‘kick-off (NOUN)’ стартува/startuva (VERB). Two other productive suffixes are the Greek /-sa/ (Greco-Turkish /-disa/) and the West European (from Latin through French to German to Slavonic) /-ira/. Verbs in /-sa/ are often perfective and form imperfectives by means of /-uva/ with prefixation deriving new perfectives: калај/kalaj ‘tin’, perfective калаиса/kalaisa ‘plate with tin’, imperfective калаисува/kalaisuva, прекалаиса/prekalaisa ‘re-tin (PRFV)’. Verbs in /-ira/ are often biaspectual but show a tendency to be treated as imperfective, with perfectives being derived by means of prefixation (see section 3.2.1): интерес/interes ‘interest’, imperfective интересира/interesira ‘interest’, perfective заинтересира/zainteresira. In some cases, the suffixes contribute to semantic differentiation: критика/kritika ‘criticism’, критикува/kritikuva ‘to critique’, критизира/kritizira ‘to criticize’. While some new loans permit formation freely with more than one of these suffixes, others do not: флерт/flert ‘flirt’ permits the formation of the verb флертува/flertuva but not флертира/flertira (see Минова-Ѓуркова/Minova-Ǵurkova 1966).
    Last edited by Дени; 12-23-2011, 03:58 AM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

In what way (if any) do you think the words zbor (word), broi (count) and bere (gather) are related? They seem to have some sort of connection to each other.
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Дени
        • May 2010

In what way (if any) do you think the words zbor (word), broi (count) and bere (gather) are related? They seem to have some sort of connection to each other.
        Збор is deconstructed as *sŭ- + *borŭ (< *brati > бере). This is also how it was spelled in earlier texts: сбор, сборува.

Брои is usually said to be a corrupted form from *briti ("to shave", etc.), supposedly because of the pre-modern scratching of lines into wood to count, write and so forth. This isn't very convincing to me though.
        Last edited by Дени; 12-27-2011, 06:16 PM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

Thanks for that. I agree about 'broi', it doesn't sound convincing. I would have thought the concept of counting (broi) and gathering (bere) more likely (even if distant), but then again, it may not be.
          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

Дени, what is your opinion on the origin of the words змеј (dragon) and горд (proud)? Also, do the words јас (I) and сум (am) ultimately come from the same PIE root *eǵ’hom -> eź’ham, etc?

Comment

• Niko777
              • Oct 2010

I have a word: misur (plate, dish)

Comment

• Niko777
                • Oct 2010

Also pesh (by foot)

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Niko777 View Post
                  Also pesh (by foot)

It probably developed something like the below:
                  (foot) - 'PIE' pṓds > 'Proto Balto-Slavic' pėds > Lithuanian' pėda, 'Old Macedonian' pēs > (by foot) - 'Modern Macedonian' pesh
                  In Macedonian 'peda' means 'inch', but one could also use it to refer to a short distance by foot, like, "ајде ќе му појдиме, само една педа е".

Comment

• Risto the Great
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Niko777 View Post
                    I have a word: misur (plate, dish)
                    The peasants in the north don't even know what it means
                    Risto the Great
                    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                      • Sep 2008

Some peasants from the south need to realise that the Macedonian language extends beyond the broken picket fences of their humble domains in Kotori. Shall we begin?

Comment

• makedonche
                        • Oct 2008

Some peasants from the south need to realise that the Macedonian language extends beyond the broken picket fences of their humble domains in Kotori. Shall we begin?
                        SoM
                        We shall begin.......Kotori retains more of the Old Macedonian language than any other parts of Macedonia.
                        On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• George S.
                          • Aug 2009

peshki wali\king by foot.misurce,pajnca.
                          "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Daniel the Great
                            • Nov 2009

The word 'фати' (fati), to catch or capture. I don't think any other language besides Macedonian uses it in the same meaning. But i did find that 'fati' means fate in Albanian.

Comment

• makedonche
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Daniel the Great View Post
                              The word 'фати' (fati), to catch or capture. I don't think any other language besides Macedonian uses it in the same meaning. But i did find that 'fati' means fate in Albanian.
                              Daniel
                              Ako gi fatam tolgai ke mo kazham fate!
                              On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Daniel the Great View Post
                                The Albanian word (which itself may be a loan from a Romance or Latin language) is unrelated. The word 'фати' demonstrates the common Macedonian sound change хв > ф, which means that some time ago the word was pronounced as 'хвати', like it is in Croatian, Serbian and Bulgarian today. Other words that show this Macedonian sound change are 'фрли' instead of 'хврли' and 'фала' instead of 'хвала'.

Comment

Working...
                                X