Macedonian Human Rights Movement International (MHRMI)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MHRMI
    • Dec 2009

Macedonian Human Rights Movement International (MHRMI)

MHRMI and AMHRC Condemn Greece's Continued Blacklisting of Ethnic Macedonians

Toronto, Canada and Melbourne, Australia (December 22, 2009) -- Greece continues to blacklist Macedonians who are
    active in human rights organizations abroad or who are political refugees*. The latest reported incident occurred on
    December 19, 2009, when Macedonian citizen, Nikola Kosturski, a member of the Association of Child Refugees (Detsa
    Begaltsi) in Bitola, was denied entry because he "is a person for whom an alert has been issued for the purposes of
    refusing entry"
    and is "in the national register".

Greece's blacklisting of ethnic Macedonians affects citizens of Canada, Australia, the United States, and many
    Western European countries.

MHRMI and AMHRC asks the governments of these countries, among others, to protect the rights of their citizens and
    demand from Greece that this practice be ceased immediately or face repercussions. Furthermore, we ask that Greece
    be forced to provide a reason why certain individuals are refused entry and why Greece's blacklist contains only
    members of ethnic minorities.

MHRMI and AMHRC call on Macedonians abroad to contact our organizations if they have been denied entry into Greece,
    or have experienced discrimination by Greek Consulates or Embassies worldwide.

*This year marks the 61st anniversary of the evacuation by the International Red Cross of 28,000 Macedonian children
    (Detsa Begaltsi), aged 2-14, during the Greek Civil War. They were subsequently stripped of their Greek citizenship
    and have been consistently denied entry into Greece simply because they assert their Macedonian ethnic identity.
    They were excluded from the 1982 law that allowed the free return of political refugees who were “Greek by genus”.

###

Macedonian Human Rights Movement International (MHRMI) has been active on human and national rights issues for
    Macedonians and other oppressed peoples since 1986. For more information, please visit www.mhrmi.org, or contact
    MHRMI at 416-850-7125, or [email protected].

Established in 1984 the Australian Macedonian Human Rights Committee (AMHRC) is a non governmental organisation that
    informs and advocates to governments, international institutions and broader communities about combating
    discrimination and promoting basic human rights. Our aspiration is to ensure that Macedonian communities and other
    excluded groups throughout the world are recognised, respected and afforded equitable treatment. For more
    information please visit www.macedonianhr.org.au, or contact AMHRC at [email protected] or via +61 3
  • MHRMI
    • Dec 2009

MHRMI & United Macedonians Contribute to Canadian Museum for Human Rights

MHRMI and United Macedonians Contribute to Canadian Museum for Human Rights

Toronto, Canada (December 17, 2009) -- Macedonian Human Rights Movement International (MHRMI) and the
    United Macedonians Organization of Canada (UM) participated at the December 1, 2009 roundtable
    discussion organized by the Canadian Museum for Human Rights. The goal of this meeting was to help
    develop content and exhibits for the new Museum, due to open in Winnipeg in 2012.

MHRMI and UM contributed numerous examples of oppression against Macedonians, both past and present. A
    focus was put on current human rights abuses against ethnic Macedonians by Greece and Bulgaria, in an
    attempt to raise international attention and according to the Museum's mandate, inspire a commitment to
    "taking action against hate and oppression".

MHRMI and UM specifically asked that:

1. Current and lesser known human rights abuses be highlighted
    2. So-called "Western nations" be exposed for abusing their minorities' rights
    3. Countries who are signatories to international human rights treaties be forced to abide by them.

To contribute your story to the Canadian Museum for Human Rights, or to donate or become a member
    of our organizations, please see our contact information below.

###

Macedonian Human Rights Movement International (MHRMI) has been active on human and national rights
    issues for Macedonians and other oppressed peoples since 1986. For more information, please visit
    www.mhrmi.org, or contact MHRMI at 416-850-7125, or [email protected].

The United Macedonians Organization of Canada is the oldest and largest Macedonian national and cultural
    organization in the diaspora. Our mission is to promote national unity of Macedonians worldwide. For more
    information, please visit www.unitedmacedonians.org or call 416-490-0181.
    *Please note: The United Macedonians Organization of Canada, founded in 1959, is not affiliated with the
    "United Macedonian Diaspora (UMD)" which was founded in 2004.

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

Welcome MHRMI
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• MHRMI
        • Dec 2009

MHRMI Fundraiser - March 19, 2010

Comment

• AMHRC
          De-registered
          • Sep 2009

Support

We wish our friends at MHRMI, all the best with this important event.

Cheers,

AMHRC.

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

Agreed, I wish them well.

AMHRC, how do you find the support for MHRMI in Canada and the USA?
            Risto the Great

Comment

• AMHRC
              De-registered
              • Sep 2009

We don't want to try to enter into specifics, living so far away. However, we have been cooperating with MHRMI for many years now and it has been a great partnership. We rely upon each other to share the burden of supporting Macedonian human rights activity in the Balkans. Therefore we encourage all North American Macedonians to get behind MHRMI.

Cheers,

AMHRC.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

Fair call.
                They certainly deserve support.
                Risto the Great

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by AMHRC
                  Therefore we encourage all North American Macedonians to get behind MHRMI.
                  Well put AMHRC, and excellent efforts at working in unison with this fantastic group that has, along with yourselves, made a significant impact on the ground level, where it counts most.
                  In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Spartan
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by MHRMI View Post
                    The church where this event will be held is very close to where i live, i pass by it all the time actually during my workday.
                    Can anyone confirm that this woman will be at the dinner?
                    I think im in love
                    Ill buy a ticket if i can be in the same room with her!!!
                    Perhaps my spartan charm will intrigue her

My god you guys have some smoking hot women

Comment

• osiris
                      • Sep 2008

spartan mate you should go not because of the woman but because you of all the greeks i have encountered online are the one who would learn much and maybe even have an epiphany about who we are what we stand for and how forgiving we have been towards our national oppressor. call fatso and you two go, its really time spartan for you to take the next step in your relationship with macedonians.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

Spartan, you do have some Macedonian friends anyway, if I recall correctly, or am I wrong?

In Australia the terminology is interesting, most people I know have abbreviated Macedonian as 'Maco', but there are some who say 'Mako'. In Canada, you guys use 'Macey', is that right? Is the 'c' pronounced as an 's' or 'k'?
                        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Prolet
                          • Sep 2009

Spartan, If you go to Bitola or Prilep you will have a hard time with the women there lol

There are some very beautiful women, you'll struggle trust me.
                          МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• osiris
                            • Sep 2008

spartan break the cycle and go to the function, let the humanitarian that obvioulsy exists deeply within you out and learn about who we macedonians really are.

Comment

• Spartan
                              • Sep 2008

Guys, my deepest apologies, somehow I missed this thread for some reason. My intent was not to ignore your comments, and i will respond to all of them below.
                              Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                              Spartan, you do have some Macedonian friends anyway, if I recall correctly, or am I wrong?
                              No, you remember correctly SoM.
                              From about 12 years old there was about 6 of us who were best friends (still very close today). An Epirot, 2 Spartans, a grkoman(which i just recently figured with the help of the conversations we had a year ago about them here on this forum, as i never heard of one before) a Macedonian and a Cypriot. Quite the group, lol .
                              Anyways, i was very close with my Macedonian buddy and still am. I was at his house all the time, as he was at mine. Our parents knew each other, as well as our brothers and sisters. We would go to the dances at his church(st,Clements), and he would come to ours. It was great. We even defended him one time against some other greeks who wanted to jump him. We got our asses kicked(badly outnumbered), but we got them kicked together..... ahhhh the teenage years, lol.
                              He ended up marrying an absolute beauty of an indian girl in true macedonian fashion, and the wedding was awesome. I hold this guy in very high regard, and would run thru a brick wall for him. he is the only macedonian friend I have, other than some of you guys i have met online, but have made many Macedonian aquaintences through him.
                              he comes from a very good family, and i cant say a bad word about them.
                              So yes, I do know a little about the Macedonians through him.
                              Sorry for the long story.
                              In Australia the terminology is interesting, most people I know have abbreviated Macedonian as 'Maco', but there are some who say 'Mako'. In Canada, you guys use 'Macey', is that right? Is the 'c' pronounced as an 's' or 'k'?
                              As an a S. here in toronto we refer to Macedonians as maceys for short.
                              Originally posted by Prolet View Post
                              Spartan, If you go to Bitola or Prilep you will have a hard time with the women there lol

There are some very beautiful women, you'll struggle trust me.
                              Sounds like my kinda place!!
                              Originally posted by osiris View Post
                              spartan break the cycle and go to the function, let the humanitarian that obvioulsy exists deeply within you out and learn about who we macedonians really are.
                              Ive learned alot Osiris, but Im sure you are right and there is much more.
                              Anyways, its tough to get out like i used to, with my little one being very demanding as she gets older, but ill try.

Take it easy guys, and my apologies for responding so late.

Comment

Working...
                              X