• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thorvald
    • Jan 2009

Greek Church acts on crucifix ban

Greek Church acts on crucifix ban

The Strasbourg ruling caused outrage in the Italian media
    The Greek Orthodox Church is urging Christians across Europe to unite in an appeal against a ban on crucifixes in classrooms in Italy.

The European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg ruled last week that the presence of crucifixes violated a child's right to freedom of religion.

Greece's Orthodox Church fears the Italian case will set a precedent.

It has called an emergency Holy Synod meeting for next week to devise an action plan.

Although the Greek Orthodox Church has been at odds with Roman Catholicism for 1,000 years, the judicial threat to Christian symbols has acted as a unifying force.

The European Court of Human Rights found that the compulsory display of crucifixes violated parents' rights to educate their children as they saw fit and restricted the right of children to believe or not to believe.

'Worthy symbols'

The head of the Greek Church, Archbishop Ieronymos, shares Catholic complaints that the court is ignoring the role of Christianity in forming Europe's identity.

It is not only minorities that have rights but majorities as well, said the archbishop.

One of his subordinates, Bishop Nicholas from central Greece, lamented that at this rate youngsters will not have any worthy symbols at all to inspire and protect them.
    More:

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Also posted by a good friend friend of mine on:

Opinions?
    https://germanictribes.proboards.com/
    European preservation
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Are they talking about crucifixes on the wall in classrooms or on a chain around a child's neck? Would the same be required of Islamic countries in the EU? Or of Islamic classrooms in traditionally Christian countries of Europe? I am not a religious zealot by any means, but the rising trend of indifference to our Christian cultural heritage is a little concerning.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Bill77
      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
      Are they talking about crucifixes on the wall in classrooms or on a chain around a child's neck? Would the same be required of Islamic countries in the EU? Or of Islamic classrooms in traditionally Christian countries of Europe? I am not a religious zealot by any means, but the rising trend of indifference to our Christian cultural heritage is a little concerning.
      We can't evan eat selami anymore

"Student 'bullied for eating salami sandwich'
      Parents have removed their children from a Sydney primary school claiming their son was bullied by Muslim students for eating salami during Ramadan.

Parents have removed their children from a Sydney primary school claiming their son was bullied by Muslim students for eating salami during Ramadan.

But then i read this,
      "News Limited reports Andrew Grigoriou said he complained to the school and police after his son Antonios was allegedly assaulted by Muslim students at Punchbowl Public School."

Hmmm wandering if the salami was just an excuse, to get that Greek kid. lol
      http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• George S.
        • Aug 2009

it's all to do with the political correctness.Everything is getting changed to please some crazed minority.In France moslems are banned from wearing scarves.If a person can't have a crusifix who is to say the can or not have it.The European Court of Human Rights found that the compulsory display of crucifixes violated parents' rights to educate their children as they saw fit and restricted the right of children to believe or not to believe.
        That's crap because christianity is not a new religion & having a crusifix is just a symbol of ones faith.Why can't people let things be.YOu could have your slice of salamy & eat it too.
        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Bij
          • Oct 2009

Of course Greece supports Italy on this! Greece is the worst place to live in the EU for freedom of religion. Greece is the only member of the European Union to ban proselytism in its constitution! they are as zealous with their ethnic identity as they are with their religious one.

seems a shame to deny someones basic right to practice faith freely. i wonder why they feel the need to be so hard arsed about it?

Comment

• Bill77
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by George S. View Post
            The European Court of Human Rights found that the compulsory display of crucifixes violated parents' rights to educate their children as they saw fit and restricted the right of children to believe or not to believe.
            That's crap because christianity is not a new religion & having a crusifix is just a symbol of ones faith.Why can't people let things be.YOu could have your slice of salamy & eat it too.
            Yeh very frustrating. These changes are hapening around the world. There has been cases in Australia and US where primary school children are not alowed to sing certain christmas songs. Also how many times do we here people say "Have a Happy festive season" which is replacing " Merry Christmas". Well we christians have been persecuted since Christ and nothing has been changed.

And regarding the right to educate our children as we see fit, Well i feel violated when schools teach my kids, that humans were monkeys that fell from the trees and all of a sudden started talking. And this is shoved down our kids throats.
            http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• George S.
              • Aug 2009

A lot of people are pissed off with the education authorities over them not teaching kids about christmas nativities.Well facts are facts the christian faith is the predominant faith in australia.It's this fear of offending other faiths.Moslems have said that they don't have a problem with their children learning about christmas afterall Jesus was a prophet to them.So it's these do gooders in the education echelons who perceive it to be political correctness to do away with christmas so that they don't offend anyone.THe latest who ha is the making of the prayer chapel rooms non denominational in hospitals.
              They finally realized & admitted that it's really the same God people are praying so all faiths are welcomed & respected.
              Last edited by George S.; 11-13-2009, 01:39 PM. Reason: edit
              "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

I thought we had a thought provoking discussion on Christianity here:

Most of us have heard of the great Hellenes of old. Stories of Gods and Heroes, philosophers and poets abound in our history books. Many with an interest in the demise of Hellas often ask themselves "What happened?" Where did those ideals go and why are those that call themselves 'Greek' today ignorant and
                Risto the Great
                MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• George S.
                  • Aug 2009

RTG i have to agree with you 100% I'm like you i take religion with a grain of salt.The last people to set an example today is the church.When i get these priests to lecture to me about this & that.I say to them Jesus said if you have faith as small as a mustard seed you will move mountains.I think today no one has that faith to move mountains.THere are other doctrines or ebleifs in the Christion religion if i tell you ,you would be shocked .Do people know that the pope during the wwwii sided with the Nazis.Oh & the other thing you would think that there should be a division between church & state.Whilst under communism the church was banished that it was the opiate of the people.But throughout history we see the church going in cahoots with the state.How many so called christian Martyrs gave their lives for the church?probably millions.
                  Last edited by George S.; 11-13-2009, 06:30 PM. Reason: edit
                  GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
                  X