• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thorvald
    • Jan 2009

Gun inventor, 'happy man' Kalashnikov turns 90

Gun inventor, 'happy man' Kalashnikov turns 90
    The Russian inventor of the globally popular AK-47 assault rifle celebrated his birthday Tuesday, receiving an award from Russian President Dmitry Medvedev.

Moscow -- Mikhail Kalashnikov, the Russian inventor of the globally popular AK-47 assault rifle, declared himself a happy man with few regrets as he celebrated his 90th birthday on Tuesday.

"Age is not significant. I have plenty of life left in me. But still, this is a special date and it needs to be celebrated," the white-haired inventor said in remarks broadcast on Russian television.

Kalashnikov, whose tie was decorated with a metal pin shaped like an AK-47, smiled and read patriotic poetry to journalists in Izhevsk, his hometown and the site of the huge Izhmash factory which produces the rifles.

He later visited Moscow to receive an award from President Dmitry Medvedev at the Kremlin.

Meanwhile birthday wishes poured in for Kalashnikov from across Russia and even from space, with two Russian cosmonauts congratulating him by video link from the International Space Station (ISS).

"Your name, like that of the first cosmonaut, Yury Gagarin, became a symbol of our country in the 20th century," ISS crew member Maxim Surayev said in the video message, which was broadcast on Russian television.

Kalashnikov is considered a national hero in Russia for designing the AK-47, a rifle whose name stands for "Kalashnikov's Automatic" and the year it was designed, 1947.

Also called the "Kalashnikov,” the rifle and its variants are the weapons of choice for dozens of armies and guerrilla groups around the world.

More than 100 million Kalashnikov rifles have been sold worldwide and they are wielded by fighters in such far-flung conflict zones as Iraq, Afghanistan and Somalia.

But their inventor, a World War II veteran, has barely profited financially from them and lives modestly in Izhevsk, an industrial town 1,300 kilometres (800 miles) east of Moscow.

Part of the problem, according to Izhmash, is that "counterfeit" AK-47s are produced in Bulgaria, China, Poland and the United States, costing the company 360 million dollars (261 million euros) annually.

Mikhail Kalashnikov in 1949

AK-47 Kalashnikov Museum

About the Kalashnikov Museum. Come see the virtual tour of military Museum of Mikhail Kalashnikov, the designer of AK-47. 327 high resolution photos, zoom-enabled for closer inspection. By 2006, this is the very first guide on the subject. It's virtually like you've been there. Limited editions of AK-47s, Top Secret documents revealed for the first time, civilian inventions of Kalashnikov and MUCH more

https://germanictribes.proboards.com/
    European preservation
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Quite simply the weapon of choice for anybody who needs a rifle that works all the time every time. Happy birthday Mikhail.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• 777Bitola
      • Sep 2009

Recently i heard that he stated he was sad that his weapon got into so many wrong hands which was his only regret.

Comment

• Risto the Great
        • Sep 2008

I think I read Hussein had pure gold Kalashnikovs made.
        Risto the Great
        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• slovenec zrinski
          • Sep 2008

YouTube - Kalasnjikov by Goran Bregovic

Comment

• Prolet
            • Sep 2009

Spolaj Ti Zrinski

It is a great song indeed.
            МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

Working...
            X