X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrueMacedonian
    • Jan 2009

Orderic Vitalis 11th & 12th century Chronicler notes Macedonians

Orderic Vitalis (1075–c. 1142) was an English chronicler who wrote one of the great contemporary chronicles of 11th and 12th century Normandy and England.

Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

The Macedonians and Thracians, kindred peoples, have always been warriors in the region. They were the most distinguished of all empires in the region, Macedonian, East Roman, Bulgarian, etc, and the above text is yet another testament to the evolution and continuance of the Macedonian identity throughout the ages in the Macedonian and adjacent regions.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

It is always good to compile sources that are from the same era, to get a better picture of the times. Here are some more texts written during the 12th century which relate to Macedonia and the Macedonians.

Russian Primary Chronicle
      Now Andronicus is the apostle of the Slavic race. He traveled among the Moravians, and the Apostle Paul taught there likewise. For in that region is Illyricum, whither Paul first repaired and where the Slavs originally lived. Since Paul is the teacher of the Slavic race, from which we Rus' too are sprung, even so the Apostle Paul is the teacher of us Rus', for he preached to the Slavic nation, and appointed Andronicus as Bishop and successor to himself among them..........

Great Fair of Salonika, Satire Timarion
      The Demetria is a festival, like the Panathenaea at Athens and the Panionia among the Milesians, and it is at the same time the most important fair held in Macedon'ia. Not only do the natives of the country flock together to it in great numbers, but multitudes also come from all lands and of every race - Greeks, wherever they are found, the various tribes of Mysians [i.e. people of Moesia] who dwell on our borders as far as the Ister and Scythia, Campanians and other Italians, Iberians, Lusitanians, and Transalpine Celts.........And if you are anxious to know what it contained, my inquisitive friend, as I saw it afterwards when I came down from the hills — well, there was every kind of material v/oven or spun by men or v,omen, all those that come from Boeotia and the Peloponnese, and all that are brought in trading ships from
      Italy to Greece. Besides this, Phoenicia furnishes numerous articles, and Eg}^t, and Spain, and the pillars of Hercules, where the finest coverlets are manufactured. These things the merchants bring direct from their respective countries to old Macedonia and Thessalonica............

The Alexiad, Anna Comnena
      This Haemus is a very long mountain range running along a line parallel to Mount Rhodope. The range begins at the Euxine sea, leaves the cataracts a little on one side and continues right into Illyria; there it is cut through by the Adriatic Sea, I fancy, and emerges again in the opposite continent and finishes right away in the Hercynian forests. On either side of its slopes dwell many very wealthy tribes, the Dacians and the Thracians on the northern side, and on the southern, more Thracians and the Macedonians.
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
        • Jan 2009

Nice sources SoM. I must say that it seems really obvious that Macedonians have been just that,,,Macedonians, for centuries.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
          • Jan 2009

page 496

The death throes of Byzantium 1080-1261 by Alain Ducellier.

I guess these are the Macedonians mentioned by Orderic Vitalis.

Comment

• osiris
            • Sep 2008

i find the difference in terminology between the medieval and modern text interesting, and it confirms the influence of politics in scholarship. in the 11th century there are thracians an macedonians , in modern times there are no thracians and the mecadonians have to be defined as slav.

Comment

Working...
            X