• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kalle
    Banned
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by George S. View Post
    their greek experts in archaelogy are going to stamp the greekness into macedonia a forhich negate their so called greekness of macedonia a foregone conclussion.WE see they don't want the world to know.Allready there are texts wlhich negate their claimsthey run but can't hide from the truth.We know the macedonians had their own language and alphabet pre dating the greeks.The greek claims are baseless.Don't forget there are differences of race.
    There was a lot of tooing and throwing as they couldn't decide if the vergina tomb was actually phillips or a 4th century royalty.In the end it was like eeny meent mini mo.Despite what evidence they found.Some one said it was TOO fantastic to be greek.You just look at the intricate gold leaf they found and the craftmanship that proves the macedonians were far more advanced than they assumed.The greeks were not the only ones
    skilled macedonians have honed their craft from prehistoric times.
    If we leave the conspiracy theories behind us, a more rational analysis would be , since there are ancient Macedonian graves also outside of Greece it would be very difficult to cover up or alter things.

Also remember there are thousands of professional historians and archaeologist around the world. Which many will visit the sites. They all peer review each others works.

Have you ever been to an university?
    Last edited by Kalle; 08-15-2014, 08:13 PM.

Comment

• George S.
      • Aug 2009

kallle i have been to uni i know what is at stake.But your govt is not a normal govt it has its propaganda machine.It has been caught many times trying to change history to suit itself.It has been caught manipulating things buiying out professors to say what it wants.Fact there is was ancient macedonian language and people they weren't greek.Full stop you are wrong.Greece has invested millions of euros to change history to their way.Not only engaged people on a literary crusade to alter facts figures etc their way.BUT they forgot to check on things in their ancient greek texts that prove that macedonians and their language existed seperately.Don't waste my time i'm right you are wrong.I presume you are greek trying to stick up for the greeks.I'm telling you you are wrong in advance don't waste my time.
      Kalle when you give your view or any greek coming on this forum surprise surprise it supports the greek govt thats why you and your greek friends will be morons ,nothing but brainwashed morons.So don't waste our time discussing anything.
      Last edited by George S.; 08-16-2014, 02:26 AM.
      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
        • Aug 2009

what kalle you are then a macedonian.Please declare who you are?Yes you are trying to say that greeks by default are macedonian??how can one race of people be another race.Or are you infering greek and macedonianm are the same.I just told you in another thread the macedonians had their own mother tounge and their language ws called macedonian g not GREEK,Yes rthe macedonians spoke grO we have established that macedonians and greeks were an unrelated people why were they called barbariansand explain to me why the greeks couldnt understand MACEDONIAN?
        I got you there you can't explain it.You are fucking BRAINWASHED by your grreek
        govt to beleive the skopijans want their land back.Of course we want our land back you moron.You know why you are a moron you don't declare your neighbour who they really are.Macedonian.
        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Constellation
          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Kalle View Post
          I wonder when the secret weapon will be displayed to the global scene?

Dont be so harsh on the Greeks. Where ever they go they see the propaganda that ancient Macedonians where Greeks. If they watch documentaries from world famous tv stations like BBC or national geographic. Or when they visit world famous museums like British or Louvren. Or when they visits the very best universities in the world like Oxford , Cambridge , Yale and Stanford. Every where they will be exposed to the propaganda that ancient Macedonians where Greeks.
          I'm not sure there is a conspiracy, perhaps, but one thing I know for certain, there is a deep ingrained bias built on deep and ignorant presuppositions.

There was a study a few years ago pertaining to "In Search of a Greek Contribution to the Pathan Population". The study was led by Cambridge University and Standford University. The study sought to prove a genetic link between the Pathan population and the "Greek" army of Alexander the Great. This is what they found:

Clade E3b1 lineages, which were frequent in the Greeks but not in Pakistan, were nevertheless observed in two Pathan individuals, one of whom shared a 16 Y-STR haplotype with the Greeks. The worldwide distribution of a shortened (9 Y-STR) version of this haplotype, determined from database information, was concentrated in Macedonia and Greece, suggesting an origin there. Although based on only a few unrelated descendants, this provides strong evidence for a European origin for a small proportion of the Pathan Y chromosomes.
          Specifically, the study stated:

:The Pathans were the only population among the three that claim Greek ancestry in which clade E was present. This branch is observed in Europe, Middle East, North and East Africa with a suggested origin in East Africa.24 Sub-clade E3b is common in Europe and probably originated in Africa.25 Compelling evidence in support of the genetic relationship between the Pathan and Greek E3b1 Y chromosomes was provided by the median-joining network (Figure 4). One Pathan shared a Y-STR haplotype, that included a duplication of 10 and 13 repeat units for the DYS425 locus, with three Greek individuals and the other was separated from this cluster by a single mutation, which enabled us to estimate the TMRCA (meanplusminusSD) using the Network software as between 2000plusminus400 and 5000plusminus1200 YBP depending upon the observed26 or inferred mutation rates,27 respectively. This coincides with the period of Alexander's invasion during 327–323 BC. This haplotype was not observed in any other E3b1-derived Pakistani Y chromosome but was highly specific for the Balkans – the highest frequency being in Macedonia.
          But the bias and presuppositions of the researchers concluded with this statement:

An extensive analysis of Y diversity within Greeks and three Pakistani populations – the Burusho, Kalash and Pathan – who claim descent from Greek soldiers allowed us to compare Y lineages within these populations and re-evaluate their suggested Greek origins. This study as a whole seems to exclude a large Greek contribution to any Pakistani population, confirming previous observations.7 However, it provides strong evidence in support of the Greek origins for a small proportion of Pathans, as demonstrated by the clade E network (Figure 4) and the low pairwise genetic distances between these two populations.
          Mind you, the researchers stated that in Macedonia was the highest frequency. How much of this gene was found in the Greek population?

Steven Bird tell us:

In the current article on the Pathans, an assumption is made, alluded to
          within the title itself, that Alexander the Great was Greek. What the
          authors say that is helpful to understanding ancient population movements is
          that the Pathan population of Pakistan has a tradition of descent from
          members of Alexander the Great's army, which appears to be borne out also by
          the genetic evidence for a strong presence of E3b1 (alpha presumed) - M78
          among the Pathan male population. The authors also identify M78 as
          originating in the Balkans.

They then proceed to muddy the waters badly by claiming that the the
          following haplotype is "Greek":

DYS19=13
          389i=13
          389ii=30
          390=24
          391=10
          392=11
          393=13
          438=10
          439=12

Anyone who has worked with E3b1 for any length of time will recognize these
          immediately as the ordinary modal STR values for the E3b1 subclade (probably
          E3b1a2, although this still awaits the commercial availability of V13 for
          proof.)

The authors entered this "Greek"haplotype at YHRD and stated in their
          article that 53 individuals in a worldwide population sample of 7897
          haplotypes were found that matched it. To quote:

"The contour map [of the distribution of this haplotype] shows a major
          concentration around Macedonia and Greece, with a low scattering in other
          European countries, Tunisia, West Africa and the Pathans. This gives a
          strong indication of a European, possibly Greek, origin of these Pathan Y
          chromosomes." Thus in this statement, they again conflate Macedonian and
          Greek ancestry. (See above-linked abstract to the article, "HLA genes in
          Macedonians and the sub-Saharan origin of the Greeks.").

I decided to follow suit and enter the same data at YHRD. I entered the
          above haplotype and came up with a list of the populations with matches to
          this profile. What struck me immediately was the almost complete ABSENCE of
          this haplotype in Greece itself!!!! The only exception was found in Thrace,
          Greece, where 4 out of 41 samples showed this profile. Every other profile
          was found outside of Greece itself, including 14/149 in Macedonia, 4/43 in
          Krusevo, Macedonia (among the Aromun population there,) 8/453 in Stuttgart,
          Germany, 5/35 in Sarajevo, 3/52 in Skopje, Macedonia, 2/30 in Tirana,
          Albania, etc.

The following regions in Greece had NO presence for this profile in YHRD
          (sample size in parenthesis):

Athens (101)
          Central Greece (14)
          Crete, Greece (8)
          Epirus, Greece (14)
          Macedonia, Greece (28) !!!!!!
          Peloponnes, Greece (18)
          Thessaly, Greece (15)

198 samples above, plus 37 out of 41 samples in Thrace, for a total of 235
          samples found in Greece had NO appearance of this haplotype whatsoever. The
          E3b1 modal appeared in just 4 out of 235 samples within the borders of
          Greece itself and those in a region that was originally part of Thracia.
          How can anyone say credibly that this group is representative of a displaced
          Greek population? At the very least it is Macedonian and considering the
          known composition of Alexander's army, may have been Thracian instead.

The problem, obviously, is with the misidentification of Alexander as a
          Greek rather than a Macedonian by these researchers. If they had stated
          that the Pathan population of Pakistan had been descended from Macedonians
          who accompanied Alexander, I believe that they would have hit the mark.

One other paragraph is worth noting:

"This haplotype was not observed in any other E3b1-derived Pakistani Y
          chromosome but was highly specific for the Balkans -- the highest frequency
          being in Macedonia."

I was speechless. The right conclusion but the wrong description.
          What are your thoughts on this?

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

i thought these morons shared the gene with the Sudanese black afrika gene.So they are Pakis as well.They resemble them.Also the greeks called the macedonians barbarians and not kindred greeks.Why was alexander called ALEXANDER THE MACEDONIAN.WHY WASNT ALEXANDER CALLED THE GREEK???because he wasn't .Todays gypsies the greeks are stealing OUR history.Why are they hiding what they discover until they can doctor it to show its all greek.Just because soomeone documented it after the event hundereds of years later because they wrote it in GREEK WE JUST TRANSPOSE THAT ALEXANDER WAS GREEK>HOW SILLY Is THAT>ALso THE GREEKS DID NOT COOPERATE WITH THE MACEDONIANS that is self evident BECAUSE THEY RESENTED BEING UNDER MACEDONIAN YOKE.THat is why they can't even admit it.SO THEY GO ON THAT GREEK AND MACEDONIAN ARE THE SAME RACES>HOW STUPID IS THAT>TODAY THEY CARRY ON WITH THEIR NAME DISPUTE SO THAT THEY CAN TRICK THE MACEDONIANS TO CHANGE THEIR NAME>WHEN THEY DON"T KNOW WHO THEY ARE.??
            SO UNDER THE GUISE OF A NAME DISPUTE THERE IS NO DISPUTE THATS A LIE.THEY ARE FORCING THE MACEDONIANS TO CHANGE THEIR NAME .PREVIOUSLY THEY FORCED THE MACEDONIANS TO USE THE NOMENCLATURE OF THE FYROM a nonsensical name.,HOW STUPID and SILLY IS THAT???PLEASE EXPLAIN IT to me if you are GREEK.EXPLAIN YOUR GOVT 's actions.DON"T TELL ME MACEDONIA WAS IS GREEK WHEN ITS NOT>THE ONLY REASON IS IT WAS A LAND GRAB.ALSO HOW CAN ONE COUNTRY SUDDENLY BELONG TO 4 OTHER ONES????
            Last edited by George S.; 08-17-2014, 02:43 AM.
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Phoenix
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Kalle View Post
              If we leave the conspiracy theories behind us, a more rational analysis would be , since there are ancient Macedonian graves also outside of Greece it would be very difficult to cover up or alter things.

Also remember there are thousands of professional historians and archaeologist around the world. Which many will visit the sites. They all peer review each others works.

Have you ever been to an university?
              Kalle,

Sometimes the pursuit of science and truth is blocked by the almighty dollar.
              The lobby industry isn't always interested in the truth, as the truth can be sometimes quite 'inconvenient' to governments, industry and other self serving interest groups.

One only needs to view the 'research' on topics ranging from climate change, the uptake of renewable energy, the fast food industry and the tobacco lobby to find a mountain of conflicting information that has previously found no link to smoking causing cancer, to finding that sugar drinks are good for you and that there's no known link to climate change and man made carbon emissions.

Just as the victor writes his version of history so does the interest group with the most money, he who can fund the 'research' will fashion a particular paradigm...at the end of the day, it's research that is the lifeblood of all universities...

Theories will stand for as long as somebody is prepared to refute or challenge them, most times that requires a big research grant to change a particular theory.

I figure that Greece isn't in an economic shithole because you're a pack of lazy fucks but also the fact that covering a hundred years of bullshit doesn't come cheaply these days...
              Last edited by Phoenix; 08-16-2014, 09:46 PM.

Comment

• Niko777
                • Oct 2010

Back to the topic of this thread....
                Another cool photo of the site

Comment

• George S.
                  • Aug 2009

I did a search on the name of amphipolis and came up with ennea hodoi a Thracian name.
                  look at the way it was presented only as amphipolis as if the greeks were indigenous to the area only shows a greek colonised outpost at best.But they tried their best to show it as all GREEK.pretty sneaky wouldn't you say.YOu got kale who is not even greek trying to appropriate misappropriate someonelses history.You have Thracian ,Macedonian ,pelasgian tribes/people who lived there they weren't possibly greek?
                  They go on as if they were greek.Youre not fooling anyone but yourseves as you aren't related to any of them.If
                  one looks at imeline the greeks ahaens arrived about 3000 bc the hellenes arrived in 800 bc.So there are huge discrepancies of their status in the Balkans.Today they are uncovering
                  someone elses history by default just because they occupy the space or land they are missappropriting everything and calling it their own.They are spending millions of dollars to change rewrite history with a GREEK slant.What a joke.THe people like KALLe swallow BS from their govt Hook line and sinker.ONE wonclude its called STEALING.Solonised outpost o at best was amphipolis.
                  Last edited by George S.; 08-16-2014, 10:32 PM.
                  GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Agamoi Thytai
                    Come on, don't be so ungrateful! At least these "Turkish Christians" can read and translate ancient Macedonian inscriptions unlike you.
                    So can any other knucklehead who has studied Greek. And those inscriptions are not ancient Macedonian, they are Greek which are found on Macedonian territory. The Balkans is full of them. So what? It's like claiming the whole world is English because in basically every corner of the globe one could find scrap labels from food products written in English. We've been down the same road with you before and don't need to do it again. Remember where you are.
                    And note that it was the Macedonians who spread the Greek language to the Eastern Mediterranean and made it the lingua franca of the time.
                    Greek was spoken in the eastern part of the Mediterranean for centuries before Alexander and the fact that it spread during and after his campaign was a by-product and not the aim of his conquest.
                    The assumption that while Macedonians conquered almost the half of the known world of their time they gave up their own language in order to adopt a foreign one, just out of admiration to the advanced Greek civilization holds no water.
                    The Macedonians didn't give up their language, but I agree with the rest. Their adoption of Greek on an official level had more to do with practicality than it did with admiration. It's the same reason why Illyrian and Thracian rulers also used Greek for similar purposes.
                    Romans admired Greek civilization too yet they never gave up their language, instead they cultivated it to the highest degree.
                    Most prominent Romans spoke Greek and many of them preferred to write their literary works in that language rather than Latin. What set the Romans apart from the Macedonians, Thracians and Illyrians was that the former possessed an alphabet for their language. Were that not so, some people would be claiming the Romans as ancient Greeks also.
                    Originally posted by Poligiros
                    What about the native Makedoni of the region i.e. Hellenes such as my family?
                    The native Macedonians (engl.), Makedonci (maced.) or Makedones (grk.) were my people, those who spoke Macedonian. Perhaps you're not familiar with our forum rules. I suggest you brush up on them the next time you think about making such a comment or you will follow the same stinking trail out of here as many other Greeks before you.
                    I think that more than qualifies my type of Greek ethnicity as Macedonian, much like a Spartan-Greek, Thessalian-Greek, Thracian-Greek.
                    That "type of Greek ethnicity" is a figment of your imagination. There are Macedonians and there are Greeks. The distinction cannot be blurred. We are Macedonians in an ethnic sense, you are Greeks in an ethnic sense and will only ever be 'Macedonians' in a regional sense.
                    Finally, in addition to a few family members, my koumbaros' father is a hardline Greek hating RO-Macedonian from Aegean Macedonia.
                    I suspect with the above you're referring to a Macedonian who is from south of the border of the Macedonian republic. Hence, you're reference to a "RO-Macedonian from Aegean Macedonia" is considered an insult against the Macedonian people from the Aegean area. That is your second strike.
                    The status quo is not going to change in Aegean Macedonia, no amount of debate will grant the Republic miraculous access to the coast.
                    That statement alone shows how deluded you're beliefs have become after swallowing so much garbage from your government.
                    You are neglecting the 40% approximate population of indigenous ethnic Hellenes that have always lived in the southern and eastern regions of Aegean Macedonia as have been posted previously (based on Ottoman stats and Bulgarian maps).
                    Show me an Ottoman statistic or Bulgarian map that indicates 40% of Macedonia was populated by ethnic Greeks, as opposed to Christian inhabitants that adhered to the Patriarchate for one reason or another.
                    You somehow think your people were the sole residents of Aegean Macedonia.
                    Show me where Macedonians have said that they were the only people in Aegean Macedonia.
                    As for the whole Greek Macedonian thing being invented in the last 100 years by the Greeks, who knows what we referred to ourselves as 100 years ago ??? Fact is we lived there and practiced Hellenic culture and were indigenous to the area.
                    Some Greeks lived there. Most either lived south of Olympus or in what is today Turkey.
                    Wiki also suggest your Macedonian ethnicity also started over 100 years ago too, in the late 1800s, does that make you any less Macedonian ?
                    The pages relating to Macedonian history on that website are also heavily infected by Greek and Bulgarian racists who influence what is presented. They deliberately avoid sources and references which refer to Macedonians earlier than a 100 years ago. Does that make it any more legitimate? Absolutely not.
                    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Agamoi Thytai
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DedoAleko View Post
                      Agamoi Thytai, why you say Koine is greek? Koine=greek?
                      It's not only me, all linguists of the world say Koine is Greek, the ancestor of modern Greek, since it's closer to it than to Attic Greek or any other ancient Greek dialect of classic time.

This thoroughly researched textbook from well-respected scholar M. Eugene Boring presents a user-friendly introduction to the New Testament books. Boring approaches the New Testament as a historical document, one that requires using a hands-on, critical method. Moreover, he asserts that the New Testament is the church's book, in that it was written, selected, preserved, and transmitted by the church. Boring goes on to explore the historical foundation and formation of the New Testament within the context of pre-Christian Judaism and the world of Jesus and the early church. He then examines the individual books of the New Testament, providing helpful background information and methods for interpretation, and revealing the narrative substructure found within each of the Gospels and Letters.This volume includes helpful illustrations, charts, notes, and suggestions for further reading. Sections are laid out in a well-organized manner to help students navigate the content more easily.

A comprehensive account of the language of Ancient Greek civilization in a single volume, with contributions from leading international scholars covering the historical, geographical, sociolinguistic, and literary perspectives of the language. A collection of 36 original essays by a team of international scholars Treats the survival and transmission of Ancient Greek Includes discussions on phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, and pragmatics

Greek: A History of the Language and its Speakers, Second Edition reveals the trajectory of the Greek language from the Mycenaean period of the second millennium BC to the current day. Offers a complete linguistic treatment of the history of the Greek language Updated second edition features increased coverage of the ancient evidence, as well as the roots and development of diglossia Includes maps that clearly illustrate the distribution of ancient dialects and the geographical spread of Greek in the early Middle Ages

In the latter half of the nineteenth century, scholars begin to publish works recognizing and demonstrating the early beginnings of Modern Greek, finding features in Greek writings of the first century and earlier that continue to exist in the modern language. Despite such research, New Testament lexicographers fail to systematically consult this later stage of the language when analyzing word meanings. After establishing an important unity of the New Testament with Modern Greek and a deficiency in New Testament lexicons in exploiting this unity, David S. Hasselbrook makes use of insights gained from the modern phase of the language to advance the understanding of general word senses, the construction of definitions, and the presentati0n of lexical entries.

It's the language in which the New Testament is written. Show me any passage of the New Testament and I can easily understand and translate at least 90% of it, while you (or any other non-Greek who doesn't speak Greek at all) won't be able to understand not even a single sentence.
                      "What high honour do the Macedonians deserve, who throughout nearly their whole lives are ceaselessly engaged in a struggle with the barbarians for the safety of the Greeks?"
                      Polybius, Histories, 9.35

Comment

• Agamoi Thytai
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
                        Expected, as Ancient Macedonian alphabet did not exist. Secondly By using Greek alphabet does not suggest one is Greek. If you think contrary to this, then Greeks are Phoenicians since Greeks adopted (just like the ancient Macedonians adopting another alphabet) the alphabet from the Phoenicians. Further more, by your thinking, currently all English speaking nations that use the English alphabet would be Latinos. Write a letter and explain that to the Queen of England.
                        Ancient Macedonians didn't just use the Greek Alphabet but the Greek language itself. Modern people use only the Latin Alphabet, not the Latin language. Ancient Greeks used only the Phoenician Alphabet, not the Phoenician language. I believe you can understand the difference.
                        Originally posted by Gocka View Post
                        Lets not even get into the fact the these magical "Hellenes" magically forgot that they were "Hellenes" for 2000 years until the English and Germans had to remind them that they were in fact "Greek",
                        Byzantine scholars already from 12th century started to self-identify as Hellenes, like Ioannis Tzetzes:
                        The reign of Manuel I (1143-1180) marked the high point of the revival of the Byzantine empire under the Comnenian dynasty. It was however followed by a rapid decline, leading to the sack of Constantinople by the Fourth Crusade in 1204. This book, the first devoted to Manuel's reign for over 80 years, reevaluates the emperor and his milieu in the light of recent scholarship. It shows that his foreign policy was a natural response to the Western crusading movement and the expansionism of the German emperor Frederick Barbarossa. It also shows that what he ruled was more than the impoverished rump of a once great empire, or a society whose development had been arrested by a repressive regime. The twelfth century is presented here as a distinctive, creative phase in Byzantine history, when the empire maintained existing traditions and trends while adapting to a changing world.

This tendency grew more in 14th century, especially in Salonica:

And in Ottoman time, many Greek scholars and other educated people of 17th century and earlier used the name "Hellenes" for self-identification. This one below signed his works as "Πόνησις Χριστοφόρου Αγγέλλου, Έλληνος"=Work of Christopher Angellos, a Hellene

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                        So can any other knucklehead who has studied Greek. And those inscriptions are not ancient Macedonian, they are Greek which are found on Macedonian territory. The Balkans is full of them. So what? It's like claiming the whole world is English because in basically every corner of the globe one could find scrap labels from food products written in English. We've been down the same road with you before and don't need to do it again. Remember where you are.
                        It's not exactly that way. How many Greek inscriptions of 4th BC century have been found in the norhternmost regions of ROM or even in the central ones? How many in central and northern Albania, central and northern Bulgaria? Greek inscriptions of that time are found only in the southernmost regions and in places that were settled by Macedonian colonists.
                        Greek was spoken in the eastern part of the Mediterranean for centuries before Alexander
                        Greek was definitely not spread in the eastern mediterranean before Alexander's conquests, apart from the Greek colonies in the coastal region of Asia Minor. Aramaic was the lingua franca of the vast Persian empire and its official language too:

In early 2012, the global scientific community erupted with news that the elusive Higgs boson had likely been found, providing potent validation for the Standard Model of how the universe works. Scientists from more than one hundred countries contributed to this discovery—proving, beyond any doubt, that a new era in science had arrived, an era of multinationalism and cooperative reach. Globalization, the Internet, and digital technology all play a role in making this new era possible, but something more fundamental is also at work. In all scientific endeavors lies the ancient drive for sharing ideas and knowledge, and now this can be accomplished in a single tongue— English. But is this a good thing? In Does Science Need a Global Language?, Scott L. Montgomery seeks to answer this question by investigating the phenomenon of global English in science, how and why it came about, the forms in which it appears, what advantages and disadvantages it brings, and what its future might be. He also examines the consequences of a global tongue, considering especially emerging and developing nations, where research is still at a relatively early stage and English is not yet firmly established. Throughout the book, he includes important insights from a broad range of perspectives in linguistics, history, education, geopolitics, and more. Each chapter includes striking and revealing anecdotes from the front-line experiences of today’s scientists, some of whom have struggled with the reality of global scientific English. He explores topics such as student mobility, publication trends, world Englishes, language endangerment, and second language learning, among many others. What he uncovers will challenge readers to rethink their assumptions about the direction of contemporary science, as well as its future.

This volume publishes drawings of the impressions of stamp seals preserved on Babylonian and Assyrian cuneiform tablets, and other clay objects in the collections of The British Museum. The majority of these seals bears precise dates, ranging from the 9th to the 2nd centuries B.C.; represens the Neo-Assyrian, Neo-Babylonian, Achaemenian and Hellenistic periods; and are set out in chronological order so that the changes in seal design can be clearly seen. Among the images from the Hellenistic period are representations of zodiacal signs.The volume also includes details of seal impressions on the handles of pottery jars from Palestine. Full bibliographical references to previous publications of the cuneiform texts are given, and the volume concludes with concordances and indices, including a pictorial index of all the seal images arranged typologically.

The pathway to understanding the New Testament leads through the vibrant landscape of the first-century Greco-Roman world. The New Testament is rooted in the concrete historical events of that world. In Jesus the Rise of Early Christianity Paul Barnett not only places the New Testament within that world of caesars and Herods, proconsuls and Pharisees, Sadducees and revolutionaries, but argues that the mainspring and driving force of early Christian history is the historical Jesus. We cannot understand the rise of Christianity apart from this Jesus, the messiah of Israel and the spiritual and intellectual impact he had on his immediate followers and those who succeeded them. From his intimate acquaintance with the sources, the evidence and the problems of New Testament history, Barnett offers fresh insights. His telling of the story skillfully avoids the encumbrance of extraneous details and side journeys. From the brith of Jesus to the founding of the messianic community, from the rise of Paul's mission to the Gentiles to the writing of the Gospels, Barnett offers a comprehensive account of the movement that would change the face of world history. Jesus the Rise of Early Christianity is a comprehensive survey of New Testament history that will meet the needs of students and teachers of the New Testament. In its engagment with contemporary scholarship and its emphasis on the propelling role of the historical and risen Jesus in the rise of Christianity, it provides a timely rejoinder to current revisionist exploration of Christian origins.

and the fact that it spread during and after his campaign was a by-product and not the aim of his conquest.
                        How can you call it a by-product when Alexander himself ordered Persian youths to learn Greek?

Just think this: Romans conquered half of Europe and spread their language and that's why today millions of people in those regions speak languages descending from Latin. Spaniards conquered all central America and the greatest part of South America and spread their language too in those regions. Macedonians conquered the Persian empire and spread a foreign language?
                        The Macedonians didn't give up their language, but I agree with the rest. Their adoption of Greek on an official level had more to do with practicality than it did with admiration.
                        There was no convenience at all for Macedonian administration to replace the lingua franca of the Persian empire, Aramaic, with Greek which in fact very few people spoke and was generally not understood.
                        It's the same reason why Illyrian and Thracian rulers also used Greek for similar purposes.
                        Illyrian and Thracian kings didn't use the Greek language, there aren't any texts, inscriptions e.t.c of Illyrian or Thracian administration written in Greek. Can you show me any such? They only used the Greek alphabet in order to write their names on their coins, that's all.
                        Show me an Ottoman statistic or Bulgarian map that indicates 40% of Macedonia was populated by ethnic Greeks, as opposed to Christian inhabitants that adhered to the Patriarchate for one reason or another.
                        How clever! Should we really expect from Bulgarians to admit ever Greeks constituted 40% of Aegean Macedonia population in Ottoman time? I'll quote a more impartial source, though it's from a bulgarian site, the book "Refugees. The Work Of The League" (1931) by C. A. Macartney. It speaks of 513.000 Greeks in Macedonia in 1912.

However, if you want to see in the same Bulgarian site maps of Macedonia by various European geographers showing large Greek populations, here you are:

"What high honour do the Macedonians deserve, who throughout nearly their whole lives are ceaselessly engaged in a struggle with the barbarians for the safety of the Greeks?"

Comment

• George S.
                          • Aug 2009

despite everything the greeks can't work out who they are .At one point they were called romaoi romans.Nowdays trhey are preoccupied with being macedonian.
                          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• DedoAleko
                            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Agamoi Thytai View Post
                            It's not only me, all linguists of the world say Koine is Greek, the ancestor of modern Greek, since it's closer to it than to Attic Greek or any other ancient Greek dialect of classic time. ..
                            AT, we should stop poluting this thread. I see you already started posting at "The Ancient Macedonian Language" thread, so it's best if we continue there.

Link: http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum...p?t=264&page=8

Comment

• Agamoi Thytai
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                              I did a search on the name of amphipolis and came up with ennea hodoi a Thracian name.
                              look at the way it was presented only as amphipolis as if the greeks were indigenous to the area only shows a greek colonised outpost at best.But they tried their best to show it as all GREEK.pretty sneaky wouldn't you say.YOu got kale who is not even greek trying to appropriate misappropriate someonelses history.You have Thracian ,Macedonian ,pelasgian tribes/people who lived there they weren't possibly greek?
                              Ennea Hodoi/᾿Εννέα ῾Οδοί which is mentioned by Herodotus (and Thucydides if I remember well) isn't a Thracian but a Greek toponym which means "Nine roads". It's actually the Greek translation of the original Thracian name. The town was origianlly a settlement of the Thracian tribe of Hedonoi/῾Ηδωνοί. Αthenians send a colonizing expedition (consisting not only of Athenians but of colonists from other Greek cities too) that managed to expell the Thracians around 437 BC. So they took over and renamed the town to Amphipolis which literally means 'Bothcity", because it was surrounded by Strymon river on both sides. Various Thracian tribes were certainly all around the vicinity in the hinterland but Pelasgians had long time ago disappeared. Ancient Thracians are not regarded as Greek by mainstream Greek historians.

Comment

• Agamoi Thytai
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DedoAleko View Post
                                AT, we should stop poluting this thread. I see you already started posting at "The Ancient Macedonian Language" thread, so it's best if we continue there.

Link: http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum...p?t=264&page=8
                                Yep, you are right Aleko. If you want to continue this discussion on the Koine language please write on that thread and I' ll answer you.

Comment

Working...
                                X