View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 08:38 PM   #274
Tomche Makedonche

Tomche Makedonche is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangelovski View Post
I'm surprised anyone even lives there - according to Wikipedia there's only 1,000 inhabitants in the region.

I always thought it was just an empty wasteland...oh, it sort of is.
1,000 people?, lol, yeah I think thatís an over estimate. The whole area is literally made up of decrepit ghost villages now, populated mainly by rocks and shrubs (as opposed to the 600 odd people each village used to house) To access most of the area and villages you need a 4WD (and I mean 4WD). If youíre lucky every second village may have 2 or 5 inhabitants whose live stock are free to dominate most of the properties. The closer to Prilep you get, the more people you will find and the more accessible the roads become. Most visitors would be right to probably consider it now as nothing more than a nature reserve with remanents of how peasant life would have likely been lived for over 2,000 years (which is why itís served as a popular backdrop for older period pieces). If you like isolation and have an urge to return to nature, itís the place for you.
ďThereís a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you canít take part, you canít even passively take part, and youíve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and youíve got to make it stop, and youíve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless youíre free, the machine will be prevented from working at allĒ - Mario Savio
Tomche Makedonche is offline   Reply With Quote