X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Greece's OTE Sells Macedonia Mobile Unit For EUR190M

ATHENS (Dow Jones)--Greece's dominant phone company, Hellenic Telecommunications Organization SA (OTE), said Monday that it has sold its mobile and retail operations in Macedonia to Telekom Slovenije DD (TLSG.LJ) for EUR190 million.

The unit, Cosmofon, is one of the largest mobile providers in Macedonia, with a 30% market share. The sale also includes the disposal of approximately 60 Germanos retail outlets in the country.

Last year, Deutsche Telekom AG (DT) - which operates its own mobile network in Macedonia - acquired a 25% stake in OTE. Combined, the two companies controlled more than 90% of the mobile market so as a result of that tie-up, Macedonian anti-trust authorities have forced OTE to sell its Cosmofon unit.

The sale price was above the unit's net book value of EUR140.1 million and close to analysts' expectations.

"The completion and size of asset disposal has been largely expected, yet it remains a positive step that facilitates employee redundancies (and thus reduces medium-term expenses) in more vital units like domestic fixed line," analysts at National P&K Securities said in a note.

"The implied valuation of the two companies values Cosmofon at circa 10 times 2008 earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (Ebitda), a rather stretched valuation when considering typical levels of six to seven times Ebitda for listed mobile assets in Europe," it added. "Yet the above consideration includes the Germanos retail network of about 60 outlets in the country."

In acquiring the unit, Telekom Slovenije said the purchase would further widen its footprint in Southeast Europe, where it already has operations in Kosovo, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Albania, among other places.

Other bidders for Cosmofon included Turkey's largest mobile phone operator, Turkcell (TKC), and Turkish fixed-line telephone company Turk Telekom (TTKOM.IS).

At 1010 GMT, OTE shares were down 2.2% at EUR10.95, in line with the broader Athens stock market.
    Good riddance.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com
  • Orovnichanec
    • Sep 2008

Agreed, less Greek influence and dominance in the market the better!
    "Oh, Macedonians! It is time we realized that the greatest demon Macedonia must battle against is none other than Bulgaria" - Krste Petkov Misirkov

Comment

• Venom
      • Sep 2008

Now, to get rid of Vero.
      S m r t - i l i - S l o b o d a

Comment

• Sarafot
        • Dec 2008

If Greeks sell bigest investmens,what are they prepare for? War??
        Will we kick some asses in near future??
        Ние македонците не сме ни срби, ни бугари, туку просто Македонци. Ние ги симпатизираме и едните и другите, кој ќе не ослободи, нему ќе му речеме благодарам, но србите и бугарите нека не забораваат дека Македонија е само за Македонците.
        - Борис Сарафов, 2 септември 1902

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

I must admit, the time to sell the investment was not good. Clearly they had pressure.
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• NikodimMKD
            Banned
            • Apr 2009

Oh yea...fantastic news. One foreigner sells a Macedonian company and another foreigner buys it. In the end, the way we are going we will be reduced to being servants of the foreigners in Macedonia.

We must achieve economic independence!

Comment

• slovenec zrinski
              • Sep 2008

Pathetic try Nikodimyunan...
              Of course I am biased as it is a Slovenian company, but I think I prefer a Slovenian company instead of a Yunan company to own assets in Macedonia...

Comment

• Sarafot
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by slovenec zrinski View Post
                Of course I am biased as it is a Slovenian company, but I think I prefer a Slovenian company instead of a Yunan company to own assets in Macedonia...
                Stari kaj dogaja na Švedskem? Lep pozdrav iz Celja
                Ние македонците не сме ни срби, ни бугари, туку просто Македонци. Ние ги симпатизираме и едните и другите, кој ќе не ослободи, нему ќе му речеме благодарам, но србите и бугарите нека не забораваат дека Македонија е само за Македонците.
                - Борис Сарафов, 2 септември 1902

Comment

• slovenec zrinski
                  • Sep 2008

Prav v redu je tukaj
                  Poz
                  Zrinski

Comment

• NikodimMKD
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by slovenec zrinski View Post
                    Why does it matter? If I rent a house and pay money to someone, instead of owning the home myself, what do I care who owns the home?

Macedonia for the Macedonians, not for 'greeks' or slovenes. That Slovene company didn't invest out of love for the Macedonians. They invested for profit and profit alone.

So spare me the bs...

Only Macedonians do anything out of love for our homeland

Comment

• slovenec zrinski
                      • Sep 2008

If you in fact really were a Macedonian and not a yunan it would have mattered. It would have mattered to have your economic assets owned by anyone other than your "adversary".

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

The more foreign Greek-owned companies in Macedonia that pass over into Slovene hands, the better.

Nearly all politicians are morons, including Slovenia's, but nearly all Slovenes are good people towards the Macedonians, and show compassion for our situation.

I think the main difference simply comes down to one fact: While most Slovenes behave like humans towards the Macedonians, many Greeks behave like animals.
                        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• slovenec zrinski
                          • Sep 2008

I would agree about the Slovenian politicians.
                          Every time a Slovenian politician says "mutually agreable solution" regarding the so-called name issue I get a severe headache...

Comment

Working...
                          X