X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onur
    replied
    Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
    The Slavic word 'obitel' comes from 'oba' (both), from which other words can be formed such as 'obiti' (wrap, bind), 'obitel' (lodging, monastery) - essentially a place where people come together.
    It looks like i found another common word between slavic and turkic languages which predates Ottoman era. "Oba" also means a place where people come together in all Turkic languages. It`s a very old word used in nomadic days which can be translated as encampment spot of a nomadic group. I can give you an example turkish sentence for which you can also understand like "Oba(mi) ova(ya) kur(dum)", meaning "I set up my encampment on the field". The word "kurdum" is the verb variation of the noun "kurgan" which also means tumulus.

Also the word "oba" is clearly related with the word "ova" which i have asked to you SOM in another thread yesterday;
    Originally posted by Onur View Post
    Kos-ova and all other -ova town/city names are from Ottoman era and it`s Turkish version of it. Albanians still uses it that way today instead of slavic -ovo.

I just checked wikipedia and it says that Kos-ovo means "field of blackbirds" in Serbian language but the word "ovo" has any etymology in slavic languages? What is the meaning of it? I am asking because "ova" means "field" in Turkish and that word existed before 7th century. It also has a second meaning as "home, property". No need to mention, there are 1000s of towns in Turkey with the word "-ova".

I can explain most [if not all] of the city names in Balkans with the word "-ovo" by using Turkic etymology;
    Haskovo; Clean field
    Kumanovo; The field of Cumans
    Sarajevo; The field of palaces
    Kicevo; The field with apricot and/or plum trees. "Kic" actually means the resin of these type of trees.
    Krusevo; "Kuru" is an idiom meaning "plain, worthless, desolate, destitute"

I can go on like that...

Btw "Ova" means field in Serbian or any other slavic language??? If Kosovo means "field of blackbirds" in Serbian as it says in wikipedia, then -ovo means "field" in Serbian but is that so? Do you have any explanation for slavic languages SOM???
    The word "oba" exists in all slavic languages or just in Macedonian???

Leave a comment:

• Soldier of Macedon
    replied
    I just checked wikipedia and it says that Kos-ovo means "field of blackbirds" in Serbian language but the word "ovo" has any etymology in slavic languages? What is the meaning of it?
    Onur, you need to check again. The word 'pole' means field, hence, Kosovo Polje. The word 'kosovo' is simply the neuter possessive adjective of 'kos' which means 'blackbird'. Such word endings are very common in most if not all Slavic languages.
    I am asking because "ova" means "field" in Turkish and that word existed before 7th century. It also has a second meaning as "home, property". No need to mention, there are 1000s of towns in Turkey with the word "-ova".
    Can you name any of them?
    I can explain most [if not all] of the city names in Balkans with the word "-ovo" by using Turkic etymology;
    Haskovo; Clean field
    Kicevo; The field with apricot and/or plum trees. "Kic" actually means the resin of these type of trees.
    The root words of placenames like Kumanovo, Sarajevo and Haskovo are foreign, but their formation is Slavic. As for Krusevo, the root word is 'krusha', which means 'pear' in Macedonian. I also doubt that Kicevo is Turkish. You seem to be experimenting with folk etymology.

Leave a comment:

• Soldier of Macedon
    replied
    The Greek word 'spiti' comes from Latin 'hospitium'. The Slavic word 'obitel' comes from 'oba' (both), from which other words can be formed such as 'obiti' (wrap, bind), 'obitel' (lodging, monastery) - essentially a place where people come together.

Leave a comment:

• Po-drum
    replied
    What is connection between slavic "obitel" and greek "spiti"??

Leave a comment:

• Onur
    replied
    Originally posted by Zarni View Post
    Kosova is Albanian for Kosovo don't use it on this Forum
    Kos-ova and all other -ova town/city names are from Ottoman era and it`s Turkish version of it. Albanians still uses it that way today instead of slavic -ovo.

I just checked wikipedia and it says that Kos-ovo means "field of blackbirds" in Serbian language but the word "ovo" has any etymology in slavic languages? What is the meaning of it? I am asking because "ova" means "field" in Turkish and that word existed before 7th century. It also has a second meaning as "home, property". No need to mention, there are 1000s of towns in Turkey with the word "-ova".

Haskovo; Clean field

I can go on like that...

Btw "Ova" means field in Serbian or any other slavic language??? If Kosovo means "field of blackbirds" in Serbian as it says in wikipedia, then -ovo means "field" in Serbian but is that so? Do you have any explanation for slavic languages SOM???

Leave a comment:

• Zarni
    replied
    Kosova is Albanian for Kosovo don't use it on this Forum

Leave a comment:

• thessalo-niki
    replied
    I don't know which theory is the truth but if it`s a Greek word, then why Greeks deliberately uses the term "Asia minor" instead of Anatolia? It`s like the name of Constantinople. Greeks calls like that even tough it`s Istanbul for more than 500 years.
    Both terms are Roman. Asia Minor first appears in Latin at about 400 AD.

When Seljuk Turks, first conquered the area of present-day Central Turkey, it's name was already Anatoliko (Eastern Theme) for at least 400 years.

The term Anatolia is a Western version (English? French?) and Greeks never used it in its' exact form. It is impossible that 2 different people, starting from two different origins named separately the same area with almost the same name. It's more likely that Anatoli sounded like Anadolu to them and related it with the meanings you submitted.
    Greeks use the names Konstantinoupolis or simply Polis (the City), for the reason that... tears and applauses around 2-2:30 minutes come naturally.
    YouTube - Stamatis Spanoudakis - Marmaromenos Vasilias - Marble King

Leave a comment:

• Onur
    replied
    Originally posted by thessalo-niki View Post
    Yes, Anatolia (often called Asia Minor). The area of Modern Turkey.
    Check the {1. Name} paragraph.

Hello Serdarot,
    My standard reminder: Add the English translation. What is Ana? What is Dol?

There is one more explanation for the word "Ana-tolia";

AND it probably means the "motherland" in proper English. Like we Turks call our motherland as "Anadolu"(Anatolia);

Turkish "Ana"= "Mother" in English
    Turkish "Dolu"= transformed to Turkish from the Arabic originated word "Dunya, dunia" which means "World"

So, "Anadolu" = World of Mother, which we can call it as "Motherland" for proper English translation.

I didn't know that Macedonia also means "motherland" like Anatolia

I don't know which theory is the truth but if it`s a Greek word, then why Greeks deliberately uses the term "Asia minor" instead of Anatolia? It`s like the name of Constantinople. Greeks calls like that even tough it`s Istanbul for more than 500 years.

Leave a comment:

• thessalo-niki
    replied
    Yes, Anatolia (often called Asia Minor). The area of Modern Turkey.
    Check the {1. Name} paragraph.

Hello Serdarot,
    My standard reminder: Add the English translation. What is Ana? What is Dol?
    Last edited by thessalo-niki; 07-16-2010, 11:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Serdarot
    replied
    Originally posted by thessalo-niki View Post
    Anatolia
    verb: Anatello (= to rise)
    noun: Anatoli (= East, Sunrise)
    Ancient Greek words, used unchanged in Modern Greek

Diaspora
    verb: Sperno (=to seed, to sow), diaspeiro (=to disseminate, to sow, to thread, to intersperse)
    noun: spora (seeding), dia-spora (dispersion, dissemination, interspersion, propagasion, diaspora), sparto (crops)
    adjectives: sporadikos (sporadic, occassional), spartos (sown, scattered)
    ---
    Anatolia , like Anadolia in Turkey?

if yes, Anatolia is definitly Anadolia

And Ana-dol-ia is

Ana
    Dol

for the other 2 words, Dia-Spora and Sparta...

i will wait to read some other postings, and write later about diaspora, but about Sparta i guess there are peopel who knows more

Leave a comment:

• thessalo-niki
    replied
    Anatolia, Diaspora, Sparta

Anatolia
    verb: Anatello (= to rise)
    noun: Anatoli (= East, Sunrise)

Diaspora
    verb: Sperno (=to seed, to sow), diaspeiro (=to disseminate, to sow, to thread, to intersperse)
    noun: spora (seeding), dia-spora (dispersion, dissemination, interspersion, propagasion, diaspora), sparto (crops)
    adjectives: sporadikos (sporadic, occassional), spartos (sown, scattered)

Leave a comment:

• Serdarot
    replied
    Ра ((н)Ам-Он Ра) / RA ((n)Am-On RA)
    Рама / RAma
    бРама / bRAma
    абРАхам / adRAham
    мИтРА / mitRA
    ДЕмЕтРА / DemetRA
    МудРА / mUdRA
    ИндРА / IndRA
    Хера / HeRA
    ВеНеРа / VeneRA
    Са-Ра-Ку-Ра / SaRA KuRA
    Бо-Ра(ро) / BoRA(ro)
    Ју-Ру-Па-Ра / JuRu-paRA

can someone NOT notice that the "RA" often "have to do" with names of Gods and Demigods?

my excursion will this time be in direction -> Divine Wisdom

Mudra
    Mitra
    Mantra

Mudra
    mUdRA

Mudra, Mudar = Wise
    Mudrost = Wisdom

so, mU-dRA

it contains "Um" (mU-) , and you definitely need "UM" (brain) to be "mUdar" (wise)

it contains "-dRA" , what can be translated as "gift, present" (dra = dar , its "femine" form, masculine form would me muDAR...)

but my opinion is that the real composition of the word is

mU-ud-RA / mU-od-RA

Wisdom from RA (God), Gods Wisdom

why?

couse of the "zt vk" :P (who dont understand this comparison/answer, pls feel free to ask)

And Who is Wise, if not God?

Po Zdrav

Leave a comment:

• Serdarot
    replied
    further, we have

pir (пир)

and

dzir (ѕир)

pirka
    dzirka

in the Sanskrit/Tamil/Pahlavi Dictionaries and Lexicons, "Pir-" beside fire, is also

the sun, as the source of light
    1. the supreme being; 2. Brahma1; 3. Vis2n2u; 4. Siva; 5. sun; 6. moon
    when the light (sun or moon) comes, "mozi da se dzirka"

edit:

above are only 3 examples from Sanskrit/Tamil/Pahlavi, where "pir" stands for "fire". there are so many of them...

feel free to search for yourself further here:

Last edited by Serdarot; 06-30-2010, 04:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Serdarot
    replied
    nemu - mu

Bratu
    Otcu
    i Sinu
    i Svjatome Duhu

Ognu
    Zharu
    Piru

stija
    stoja(m)

stoa (eng. i stand)

oposite from

oda (eng. i walk)

Leave a comment:

• Serdarot
    replied
    Pirustia [piru-stija]

a kind of "chair" , mostly with 3 "legs" and a hole (dupka)

it was used to be put in the fire and on it to put the pot / jar / pan (tendjere , tava)

Piru-stia
    Piru-stija
    Piru-STOJA(M)

(In)Fire i Stand

Piru?

As Plato writes, neither Pyr (Fire] nor Udor (Water] are Greek, they were "borrowed" from the NATIVES, the PRE-GREEKS.

Pyr / Pir is Fire in the very old languages. Always we have to keep in mind that Sanskrit, Tamil and Pahlavi were not influenced by the greek or latin, and the (heavy) similarities with the Macedonian language are showing several things:

- that the Macedonian Language is a VERY Old Language (what is denied only by ignorants and blind nationalist)
    - that the modern Greek Language have a lot of Macedonian and "slavic" in it (more than most of the Greek nationalist can digest)
    - that the Ancient Greek Language was heavy influenced by the Natives, the Macedonians and Macedonian Language included to those "Natives", from simple reason when the Ancient Greek Language was created for the needs of the Ancient Greeks, the Ancient Macedonians were already there and had their language and script.
    - the influence that we ALL had and have on eachother, since we exist when Persia ruled us they influenced us and we influenced them, later when the Ancient Macedonians ruled Persia, Bactria and other Teritories, we influenced them, they influenced us, later the same with the Turks who came, etc. The role of the Ancient Greeks in the development of the "global" civilization can not be denied, but to claim all the things the modern Greeks are claiming, is simply funny

why Pirustia greek?
    why not Indian, or Tamil, or Macedonian?

piramam - 01 1. the supreme being; 2. Brahma1; 3. Vis2n2u; 4. Siva; 5. sun; 6. moon; 7. fire

pir-aLay-Akkin2i the fire which destroys the world at the end of a kalpa

pir-apA-karan2 1. the sun, as the source of light; 2. fire-god; 3. the moon

Ајде да си речиме уште една,
    да се сторат три пати, три на крст пиру-стија
    YouTube - В. Стојановски - Ајде да си речиме | V. Stojanovski - Ajde da si recime
    Last edited by Serdarot; 06-30-2010, 03:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X