X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DraganOfStip
    replied
    Originally posted by Gocka View Post
    ...we also call the dining room a Trpezarija.
    Same here in Stip.

Leave a comment:

• Gocka
    replied
    Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
    I have never heard any Macedonian use this word before up until now.
    We use it in Ohrid, we also call the dining room a Trpezarija.

Is it really a Greek word? Because in Ohrid the dialect is heavy with Turkish words but not any Greek that I'm aware of.

Leave a comment:

• DraganOfStip
    replied
    Is that in the literary language or just some dialects?
    I'm not sure really, I believe it's an archaic term, like apsaana - prison, chunki - because, moma - girl, chirak - apprentice etc.

I have never heard any Macedonian use this word before up until now.
    Really? If I just joined this forum and didn't see you were an admin I'd call you an imposter for not knowing this word .
    Anyway, it is not often used these days by the youths but the elderly and middle-aged Macedonians still use it.
    We say Бадникова трпеза for the Christmas eve dinner, or during holidays where people don't eat meat (постење) we say посна трпеза.
    Even at culinary shows where it's said "you can include this dish in your holiday feast" we say "можете да го додадете ова јадење на вашата празнична трпеза", for an example.
    Try watching the old Macedonian Folk Tales with Gorgi Kolozov & co., it is quite used there .
    Last edited by DraganOfStip; 02-16-2017, 08:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Karposh
    replied
    Is that in the literary language or just some dialects? I have never heard the word being used among my family, neither here in Australia nor in Macedonia. In fact (and I am not purporting to be that well travelled across Macedonia), I have never heard any Macedonian use this word before up until now.
    Although we very rarely use it these days, if ever, I remember the word "trpeza" was actually quite common when I was growing up. I looked it up in my Macedonian dictionary and it's definitely in there. It was often used in a "slava" sense, like Dragan said. You wouldn't use it to call someone to sit and their dinner at the dinner table. You'd just say "Staveno e za jadenje."

Leave a comment:

• maco2envy
    replied
    Is that in the literary language or just some dialects? I have never heard the word being used among my family, neither here in Australia nor in Macedonia. In fact (and I am not purporting to be that well travelled across Macedonia), I have never heard any Macedonian use this word before up until now.
    My parents are from the Ohrid region, we use the word 'trpeza' in the same manner as Dragan specified.

Leave a comment:

• Soldier of Macedon
    replied
    Originally posted by DraganOfStip View Post
    In Macedonian, "trpeza" means "dining table", it's a word often used to describe a table of food at a slava or some other celebration event.

Leave a comment:

• DraganOfStip
    replied
    The dialect of the person singing in the clip is very understandable to me, the only word that I wouldn't use in my dialect is the word 'trapeza' ('table' in Greek).
    In Macedonian, "trpeza" means "dining table", it's a word often used to describe a table of food at a slava or some other celebration event.

Leave a comment:

• Soldier of Macedon
    replied
    How do you guys find this song?

Παραδοσιακό τραγούδι στο τοπικό γλωσσικό ιδίωμα από το Κρατερό (πρώην Ράκοβο) Φλώρινας όπου αναφέρεται στον ήρωα οπλαρχηγό γηγενή Μακεδονομάχο Παύλο Ρακοβίτ...

It is about Pavle Iliev from Rakovo, a Macedonian who ended up supporting the Patriarchists in Macedonia and eventually became a grkoman. The dialect of the person singing in the clip is very understandable to me, the only word that I wouldn't use in my dialect is the word 'trapeza' ('table' in Greek).

Leave a comment:

• Soldier of Macedon
    replied
    Originally posted by Niko777 View Post
    When you think about it, every part of Macedonia has it's own accent. Macedonians north of Bitola have a Serbian accent, in Pirin they have a Bulgarian accent, in Pustec they speak with an Albanian accent, and who knows... all of our ancestors probably spoke with a Turkish accent.
    There is no doubt that Macedonian has been vulnerable because its traditional territory has been occupied by various foreigners, but the extent of external influence varies depending on the region. As far as accents go, particularly those on the periphery, there is also the dialect continuum of Slavic languages which needs to considered. Suggesting that people in Prilep, Krusevo and Demir Hisar (which are north of Bitola but nowhere near the Serbian border) speak with a Serbian accent is simply ridiculous. I have relatives in all of those places, so I am telling you from personal experience. I would like to see you add weight to your argument though, so can you tell me, in your opinion, what defines a "Serbian accent" or a "Bulgarian accent" and how do they differ from historically Macedonian accents?

Leave a comment:

• Niko777
    replied
    Originally posted by Karposh View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZiNTjxPbCk

Not a hint of a Greek accent in his singing. Macedonian songs sound dreadful when sung with a Greek accent.
    When you think about it, every part of Macedonia has it's own accent. Macedonians north of Bitola have a Serbian accent, in Pirin they have a Bulgarian accent, in Pustec they speak with an Albanian accent, and who knows... all of our ancestors probably spoke with a Turkish accent.

Leave a comment:

• Risto the Great
    replied
    I wasn't having a go. Just saying that any expression of Macedonism is appreciated. No matter how bad.

Leave a comment:

• Karposh
    replied
    Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
    I'd imagine an Australian accent would be even worse. I'd be happy to hear it, no matter what accent.
    Maybe you misunderstood. When they first plucked up the courage to sing in their own language at village gatherings, I think it was in the early 90's, the singing was done in a very thick Greek accent (check out some of the Youtube videos out there from the last decade or two). You have to admit Macedonian songs don't sound quite the same when sung in a Greek style. The uniqueness of a Macedonian harmony is in the traditional Macedonian way of singing them as demonstrated by the guy in the video. They've come a long way. That's all I was saying. Not knocking their efforts, no matter how they sing it - perish the thought.

Jees, it's a tough crowd these days.

Leave a comment:

• Risto the Great
    replied
    I'd imagine an Australian accent would be even worse. I'd be happy to hear it, no matter what accent.

Leave a comment:

• Karposh
    replied
    18α Ποζαρίτικα 28/8/16 στο Λουτράκι Αριδαίας Πέλλαςμε Ήχο Αλμωπίας - Χρήστος ΤσιπάρηςΠολιτιστικός Σύλλογος Λουτρακίου "το Πόζαρ"Πρόεδρος: Γιώργος ΜπαϊράμηςΧο...

Not a hint of a Greek accent in his singing. Macedonian songs sound dreadful when sung with a Greek accent.

Leave a comment:

• vicsinad
    replied
    Yes, he does have cool videos. It's great to see many Macedonians expressing themselves.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X