X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EgejskaMakedonia
    replied
    Originally posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
    I'm a junior member, where would I check for messages?
    Top right where it says 'welcome,' just underneath that.

Leave a comment:

• Liberator of Makedonija
    replied
    Originally posted by EgejskaMakedonia View Post
    I'll PM you.

I'm a junior member, where would I check for messages?

Leave a comment:

• EgejskaMakedonia
    replied
    Yes there is a pretty good chance of that actually. Do you mind me asking where abouts in the east your family lives?
    I'll PM you.

Leave a comment:

• Momce Makedonce
    replied
    Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
    You're right. The grass is greener. Move to Melbourne. but whatever you do, don't go to Adelaide
    I was waiting for a cheeky comment from a Melbournian, can`t believe it took so long hahaha. I`ve actually visited both to be honest but I haven`t spent a huge amount of time in either. For both cities I have spent most of my time in and around the CBD`s and didn`t have much of a chance to visit some of the suburbs but hopefully next time.

I visited Adelaide briefly for the A League grand final earlier in the year which actually fell on Orthodox Easter so I made sure I went to the Macedonian Orthodox Church in the Adelaide suburb of Findon on the day. Completely different from how Cabbramatta is absolutely packed here in Sydney on Orthodox Easter and Christmas. There was close to no people apart from some elderly ones. I was having a chat with the guy that was selling candles there who told me that for such a small Macedonian community, there were three different churches in Adelaide which I found quite suprising.

Also going off what Momce said. Can anyone explain who founded Rockdale and Bankstown? I mean is it the same story as Altona and Preston where one was founded by those from the Republic and the others from the Aegean?
    I can`t really tell you much as I am not sure. It talks about their history on their Wikipedia pages but not entirely sure if it is correct.

I think they were both established by Macedonians from the Republic, I have heard of bitterness between some of the people in charge of the two clubs at one point because they had some sort of fued with one another back home in Bitola before they migrated to Australia, but once again I cannot confirm.

It sounds about right though

Leave a comment:

replied
    I don't doubt your personal experiences and perceptions, as I indicated, those from Bitola are the majority, but people who grew up there and are more familiar with the Macedonian demographics of the region would know there are plenty from Lerin also.

Don't doubt it, I only know young people in the north, sure the older ones are from Aegean.

Met plenty of people in Melbourne from Lerin, even know a family up in Kilmore from Lerin.

Leave a comment:

• Soldier of Macedon
    replied
    Almost every Macedonian I meet in the northern suburbs is from Bitola.
    I don't doubt your personal experiences and perceptions, as I indicated, those from Bitola are the majority, but people who grew up there and are more familiar with the Macedonian demographics of the region would know there are plenty from Lerin also.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Also going off what Momce said. Can anyone explain who founded Rockdale and Bankstown? I mean is it the same story as Altona and Preston where one was founded by those from the Republic and the others from the Aegean?

Leave a comment:

replied
    You're right. The grass is greener. Move to Melbourne. but whatever you do, don't go to Adelaide

The Macedonian population in the western suburbs of Melbourne are mostly from the republic. Those in the northern suburbs are largely from Bitola and Lerin (these days numerically in favour of the former), and that, broadly and collectively, seems to be a microcosm of the people with Macedonian ancestry in Australia.

Almost every Macedonian I meet in the northern suburbs is from Bitola. The Bitola Social Club is located in Thomastown

Leave a comment:

• Soldier of Macedon
    replied
    Originally posted by Momce Makedonce
    It might just be a case of the grass being greener on the other side, but it genuinely seems like Melbourne Macedonians for example, are much more united and supportive of each other than Macedonians here.
    Originally posted by Liberator of Makedonija
    Another likely factor for this is that a lot of Macedonians in the northern suburbs are from the Republic or have parents from there. Whereas in the east we are mostly Aegean Macedonians that have been here for a lot longer, so unlike in the north where the youth have parents from Macedonia, in the east only our grandparents are from there.
    The Macedonian population in the western suburbs of Melbourne are mostly from the republic. Those in the northern suburbs are largely from Bitola and Lerin (these days numerically in favour of the former), and that, broadly and collectively, seems to be a microcosm of the people with Macedonian ancestry in Australia.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Momce Makedonce View Post
    That`s a good thing to hear and how I expected it to be.

Bit off topic but I do know that Preston Makedonia was formed by Macedonians from Egej. Did you follow this team even though you were from the East of Melbourne? I hear of rivalry between Preston and Altona, the two biggest Macedonian backed clubs in Melbourne. I`m assuming it is very similar to the old rivalry between Rockdale and Bankstown here in Sydney where they were always competing to be the best Macedonian club in the city. Nothing against Altona but looking in from an unbiased perspective I feel as though Preston is the heart of the Macedonian community in Melbourne and represents it the best.
    I actually do follow Preston and yes there is defiantly a strong rivalry between us and Altona. Preston Makedonia was formed in 1947 by Aegean Macedonians whilst Altona Vardar was founded in 1968 by Macedonians from the Republic, they styled themselves after FK Vardar. Preston is defiantly the heart as we have a much longer and eventful history and we have a lot more support. Preston was and still is the largest Macedonian club in Australia, despite being in the 4th division which is saying something.

Leave a comment:

• Momce Makedonce
    replied
    My grandparents were from the Lerin and Kostur regions, I am Australian born.

The relationship between Aegeans and those from the Republic is pretty normal but because they are concentrated in different parts of the city in addition with the lack of family connection, they don't also come into contact with eachother. Before I started attending Macedonian school in the northern suburbs I had never met a Macedonian from the republic but every person in my class's background was from the Republic. They all know about the division of Macedonia though and are very passionate and patriotic, it seems to go the same for most of the Macedonian youth in Melbourne.
    That`s a good thing to hear and how I expected it to be.

Bit off topic but I do know that Preston Makedonia was formed by Macedonians from Egej. Did you follow this team even though you were from the East of Melbourne? I hear of rivalry between Preston and Altona, the two biggest Macedonian backed clubs in Melbourne. I`m assuming it is very similar to the old rivalry between Rockdale and Bankstown here in Sydney where they were always competing to be the best Macedonian club in the city. Nothing against Altona but looking in from an unbiased perspective I feel as though Preston is the heart of the Macedonian community in Melbourne and represents it the best.

I'm fairly certain the food festival is coming to Sydney this year too, unless those plans have changed since. If the turnout is good there's no reason it can't become an annual thing over there too. Not only that, it attracts locals too and immerses people from all sorts of backgrounds in Macedonian culture. It's a good way to promote our sizable presence in Australia.
    Definitely, anything like that goes a long way in establishing our culture further in Australia. Would love to see some more Macedonian restaurants open up in Sydney. There is quite a well known one here in Newtown which has been open for a long time and attracts people from all kinds of different backgrounds which is really great.

Leave a comment:

replied
    I think we had family from Bapchor at one stage and relatives from Mala too. But we're predominantly from Krpeshina and Neret on my Dad's side, and Nevolini on my Mum's side. If you live in the east chances are my Dedo and Baba would know your family.

Yes there is a pretty good chance of that actually. Do you mind me asking where abouts in the east your family lives?

Leave a comment:

• EgejskaMakedonia
    replied
    Originally posted by Momce Makedonce View Post
    I really like the Macedonian Food Festival Event in Melbourne and would love to see the same thing started here. I think food is something that attracts a good mix of old and young. I`ve seen photos and videos of it and I think that it could possibly be quite successful here as well.
    I'm fairly certain the food festival is coming to Sydney this year too, unless those plans have changed since. If the turnout is good there's no reason it can't become an annual thing over there too. Not only that, it attracts locals too and immerses people from all sorts of backgrounds in Macedonian culture. It's a good way to promote our sizable presence in Australia.

Haha yes the older bloke is Lewie, he is from Bitola. The younger bloke who arrived more recently is Mario, not sure where he is from but apparently he is "fresh off the boat". I love speaking to Lewie in Macedonian and all my non-Macedonian mates get around him, always a friendly "zdravo" when they see him, often pronounced horribly but still.
    Haha the good old 'zdravo' or 'dobro' when you bump into him, definitely adds character to the place.

Originally posted by VMRO View Post
    sorry i mean related through cousins.
    Is he from one of those villages?
    I think we had family from Bapchor at one stage and relatives from Mala too. But we're predominantly from Krpeshina and Neret on my Dad's side, and Nevolini on my Mum's side. If you live in the east chances are my Dedo and Baba would know your family.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by VMRO View Post
    Is he from one of those villages?

Leave a comment:

• VMRO
    replied
    Svatoj??????????