X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Origins of the Greek language

We all know about the letters, but what about the words, opinions vary as to the % of Indo-European words in the Greek language in comparison to Semitic and other ancient languages.

Looking for country statistics? NationMaster gives access to market sizing and trends across 300 industry verticals and a global coverage.

Non Indo-European terms used by Greeks include:

Terms of insult and prejorative vocabulary
    Maritime terms, words for the sea, shipping (eg thalassa)
    Words relating to Mediterranean agriculture, (eg olives)
    Words regarding rulers, given by the populace (eg Tyranos)
    Building technology (eg Kapital)
    Words relating to Non-Indo-European divinities (eg Athena)
    To this list, others have added placenames, for example those placenames that include -ss- (eg Knossos, Parnassos), -inth- (eg Korinthos), or -tt- (eg Attica).

---------------------

I wonder how many more words there are.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

To this list, others have added placenames, for example those placenames that include -ss- (eg Knossos, Parnassos), -inth- (eg Korinthos), or -tt- (eg Attica).
    Can any of our Greek members inform me of the Greek etymological meaning of the following words and placenames in modern Greece:

Thessaly
    Larissa
    Parnassos
    Molossus
    Perinthus
    Corinth
    Attica
    Dodona
    Athena
    Hellen

??
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Spartan
      • Sep 2008

I think I can answer the last one SoM
      Im not 100% sure, but I believe the name "Helen" comes from "Hellene"
      It is a pre Homeric name with roots from the ancient region of Lacadaemon.

The other names above, I dont know.
      Although Id be surprised if Corinthos and Thessaly were not of Greek origin.

Knossus is probably of Minoan origin

A quick search yielded this-

Hellen
      fem. proper name, from Fr. Hélène, from L. Helena, from Gk. Helene, fem. proper name, probably fem. of helenos "the bright one."
      The online etymology dictionary (etymonline) is the internet's go-to source for quick and reliable accounts of the origin and history of English words, phrases, and idioms. It is professional enough to satisfy academic standards, but accessible enough to be used by anyone.

Larissa
      Meaning of "Larissa"
      Greek name
      In Greek, the name Larissa means- cheerful. The name Larissa orginated as an Greek name. The name Larissa is most often used as a girl name or female name.
      Greek Meaning - cheerful
      Origin - Greece

Attic
      1599, "of or pertaining to Attica," from L. Atticus, from Gk. Attikos "of Attica," the region around Athens. Attested from 1563 as an architectural term for a type of column base.
      The online etymology dictionary (etymonline) is the internet's go-to source for quick and reliable accounts of the origin and history of English words, phrases, and idioms. It is professional enough to satisfy academic standards, but accessible enough to be used by anyone.
      Last edited by Spartan; 02-07-2009, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
        I think I can answer the last one SoM
        Im not 100% sure, but I believe the name "Helen" comes from "Hellene"
        It is a pre Homeric name with roots from the ancient region of Lacadaemon.

The other names above, I dont know.

Knossus is probably of Minoan origin

A quick search yielded this-

Hellen
        fem. proper name, from Fr. Hélène, from L. Helena, from Gk. Helene, fem. proper name, probably fem. of helenos "the bright one."

Larissa
        Meaning of "Larissa"
        Greek name
        In Greek, the name Larissa means- cheerful. The name Larissa orginated as an Greek name. The name Larissa is most often used as a girl name or female name.
        Greek Meaning - cheerful
        Origin - Greece

Attic
        1599, "of or pertaining to Attica," from L. Atticus, from Gk. Attikos "of Attica," the region around Athens. Attested from 1563 as an architectural term for a type of column base.
        http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?l=a&p=23
        Thanks Spartan, as you can see though, none of the above are confirmed as Greek words. Attica is an ancient placename, if it came to mean something in 1563 it is doubtful it meant the same thing 16 centuries earlier. Helen is not defined either, it is all speculation, and given the well documented history of the the Greek (language), it is rather suprising that a corroborated and confirmed etymology for words such as 'Helen' and 'Attica' are not readily available - This indicates to me that they are not native Greek words but loaned from elsewhere.

Can you show a literal example of how the word 'Larissa' would mean 'cheerful' in a sentence?

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

The 'nth' feature is pre-Greek, I am not sure how it would have sounded, whether Korinth, Korint, Korind, etc?

I cited Thessaly as it has the double 'ss', and mind you, even Thessaly was people by Thracians (Strabo) in ancient times before the Greeks. If this is the case then I guess this means that the name 'Thessaloniki' is not completely Greek apart from the suffix, is it?

Comment

• Spartan
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
            Thanks Spartan, as you can see though, none of the above are confirmed as Greek words. Attica is an ancient placename, if it came to mean something in 1563 it is doubtful it meant the same thing 16 centuries earlier. Helen is not defined either, it is all speculation, and given the well documented history of the the Greek (language), it is rather suprising that a corroborated and confirmed etymology for words such as 'Helen' and 'Attica' are not readily available - This indicates to me that they are not native Greek words but loaned from elsewhere.

Can you show a literal example of how the word 'Larissa' would mean 'cheerful' in a sentence?
            Fair enough SoM, It was just a quick search I did.
            If someone could do a more thorough search, perhaps it could yield better results.
            As to your last question, I would assume that "Larissa" must be an ancient Greek word for "cheerful", as Ive never heard it used in Greek as a word.

Comment

• Spartan
              • Sep 2008

The 'nth' feature is pre-Greek, I am not sure how it would have sounded, whether Korinth, Korint, Korind, etc?

I cited Thessaly as it has the double 'ss', and mind you, even Thessaly was people by Thracians (Strabo) in ancient times before the Greeks. If this is the case then I guess this means that the name 'Thessaloniki' is not completely Greek apart from the suffix, is it?
              I guess so!

Im pretty sure abouy Knossus being Minoan though as I have been there(its in Crete). It is a very well preserved Palace from Minoan times.

Comment

• Spartan
                • Sep 2008

SoM was just reading on another forum what we are talking about here.
                It says that any Greek word with 'N' followed by 'TH', example 'Corinthos' is of Pelasgian origin. Same goes for the double 's'.

I just wish the site was more credible....

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

SoM was just reading on another forum what we are talking about here.
                  It says that any Greek word with 'N' followed by 'TH', example 'Corinthos' is of Pelasgian origin. Same goes for the double 's'.

I just wish the site was more credible....
                  I have heard the same.

Re Minoans, is it confirmed that they were Greeks? If not then names like Knossos and probably even Zakros (?) are likely to be foreign. Does Zakros mean anything? With Larissa, not sure.

Comment

• TerraNova
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2008

I have heard the same.

Re Minoans, is it confirmed that they were Greeks? If not then names like Knossos and probably even Zakros (?) are likely to be foreign. Does Zakros mean anything? With Larissa, not sure.
                    According to the evidence we have till now, they were probably non-Greek.

(Of course ultra nationalists are confident that they were Greek-as usually ultra nationalists-no matter their ethnicity - are confident about various things.. )

Crete though was conquered and colonized first by Myceneans and then by Dorians.(c.1400-1000)
                    The remainings of the old population continued to live in some settlements at the Eastern/Souhern side of the island (Oropedio Lassithiou) (Prassos/Praissos) ,during the classical era at least (5th c BC) -they are mentioned by Homer and Herodotus.

They were called "EteoCretans".

Some 5-at least- inscriptions of their language ,written in Greek (Euboean) alphabet were found dating at the Archaic and Classical era,and could not be translated in Greek.

Comment

• Spartan
                      • Sep 2008

They used Linear B or something, where as the Proto-Greeks used Linear A.
                      As far as I know , there are theories that say it is Greek, and others that say it is not.
                      However, they havent proved it to be Greek, thus I believe it was not.

Comment

• TerraNova
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2008

They used Linear B or something, where as the Proto-Greeks used Linear A.
                        As far as I know , there are theories that say it is Greek, and others that say it is not.
                        However, they havent proved it to be Greek, thus I believe it was not.
                        In fact the opposite.
                        Minoans used Linear A .

Eteocretans used Greek alphabet( Euboean) to write probably in the same language as Minoans (their grandfathers)used.

Comment

• Pelister
                          • Sep 2008

A Modern historiagraphy of Greeks "purifying" their language would be useful here, because by all accounts the "Greek" language of 1800 was intelligible to a ethic Turk.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                            • Sep 2008

I have read that the Greek word for 'speak' which is Milise comes from a Semitic Hebrew word meaning 'word' or 'language'. Can anybody confirm this?

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                              • Sep 2008

For more on the Semetic element in the Greek language, check page 25 and 26 of the following:

The emergence of the Greek world from the Dark Ages to the height of its Geometric civilization was described in The Cambridge Ancient History Volume III Part I. Volume III Part III explores the new prosperity and growth of the young city-states in the eighth to the sixth centuries B.C. This was the great period of expansion and colonization which saw the establishment of Greek city-states from the Western Mediterranean to the Black Sea. This volume describes the East and Egypt, the importance of West Greece and the Aegean islands in trading and exploration, the special characteristics of the societies which were established by colonization. While societies outside the mainstream of expansion and trade retained their old institutions, those at the centre changed rapidly and the period was a time of warfare in mainland Greece. Athens is seen developing into a leading state under the influence of the reforms of Solon and assessment of the social, economic and material history of Greece during these years.

Comment

Working...
                              X