X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Organised Obliteration

The recent interview with Victor Friedman was a pleasure to read. I would like to discuss the following aspect of the interview.

Organized Obliteration?

VF: But even well before this, some have made a case – and this refers again to the social resistance against other languages – that the Greeks have been trying to destroy Slavic culture in this area since the Middle Ages.

CD: ‘Greeks,’ meaning the Byzantines?

VF: Yes. For example, John Fine in his book The Early Medieval Balkans (p. 220) cites Vladimir Moshin, who published an article in1963 in a Russian academic journal in which he made the argument that the reason there are no Slavic language manuscripts from this region prior to 1180 is owing to their deliberate destruction by the Greeks/Byzantines.

CD: Really!

VF: Up until his article, people had been saying it was the Turks who destroyed everything. But there are Greek-language manuscripts from this period that survived in this region, whereas Slavic ones did not. And it is not as if the latter were not being composed in an organized way; the Ohrid literary school which began in the late 9th century is just one place where manuscripts were being written in large numbers. Which means that Greeks have been trying to destroy Slavic culture and literacy for a very long time.
    To have to venture as far as Egypt to find the Konikovo Gospel adds weight to the argument and makes it clear that an agenda has existed for a very long time.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com
  • Daskalot
    • Sep 2008

Risto, remember a Byzantine does not equal a modern Greek, they are not related because the Byzantines were not Hellenes they were Romans.
    Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

Oh yes.
      I know that.
      It was a flippant statement by VF, but the general thrust of the discussion interests me.
      Risto the Great

Comment

• TerraNova
        Banned
        • Nov 2008

Yes -They were Orthodox christian ,Greek speaking ,Romans,inhabiting Greece and Asia Minor.

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

They were also Greek reading Macedonians, Armenians, Serbs, Turks, Swahilian Orthodox christians.
          Risto the Great

Comment

• Pelister
            • Sep 2008

We are talking about the Greek Orthodox institution, which has always been around.

Its membership or its leaders origins shouldn't really be the issue, what is important is how they felt about "the Competition" ...

I have heard of Greek clergy, particularly in the 1840's creating massive bonfires in Prilep - apparently every house in Prilep has old books, forgotten books, ancient books - and they burnt all of them. These fires are well documented.

Comment

• momce
              Banned
              • Oct 2012

yes the Byzantines and then the Greek church destroyed alot of historical materials they were much more extremist in that then the Turks were even

Comment

• Big Bad Sven
                • Jan 2009

I find it funny that serbians (and some russians) continue to worship modern day grks and the evil satanic byzantine empire.

The serfs and Russians are meant to be defenders of everything slavic, but it seems they turn a blind eye when it involves old friend greece destroying everything slavic in aegean macedonia.

I cant wait until macedonia is invited in the next slavic union/brotherhood.

Comment

• momce
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2012

true the byzantines seemed to have a goal to destroy anything ethnic Balkan, Macedonia, Romania etc they are still working today to lay claim to some mythical "Northern Epirus" in Albania as well as trying to monopolise religious sites and moneys

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by momce View Post
                    yes the Byzantines and then the Greek church destroyed alot of historical materials they were much more extremist in that then the Turks were even
                    I don't think we should take Moshin's or Fine's words at face value. We already know that there was no "greek identity" let alone any "greeks" at all during this era. John Fine loosely throws the word "Greek" around so much that he forgot what he stated at the beginning of his own books about identity, religious identity, and etc. It's like putting a silk hat on a pig except he put it on a rabble of Albanians, Vlachs, Slavs, Armenians, Turks, and who knows what and called them all "Greeks".

We need to know if this was indeed the case to begin with. What does the data state, what is the date of the evidence, and how did Moshin interpret this as a "Byzantine" or "greek" attack on "slavs"?
                    Last edited by TrueMacedonian; 12-27-2012, 12:34 PM.
                    Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by momce View Post
                      true the byzantines seemed to have a goal to destroy anything ethnic Balkan, Macedonia, Romania etc they are still working today to lay claim to some mythical "Northern Epirus" in Albania as well as trying to monopolise religious sites and moneys
                      This makes no sense to me. There are no "Byzantines" working today to lay claim to some mythical "Northern Epirus" etc etc. Who are these "Byzantines" you speak of?
                      Last edited by TrueMacedonian; 12-27-2012, 12:35 PM.
                      Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• momce
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2012

Good point. Its more "Roman Byzantine" which then became "greek" from the Ottoman "Rum". Mostly it was about monopolising things by those circles.

Comment

Working...
                        X