Encyclopedia Britannica, Greece northern neighbor is named Macedonia, 2008!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daskalot
    • Sep 2008

Encyclopedia Britannica, Greece northern neighbor is named Macedonia, 2008!

Taken from the Encyclopedia Britannica, 2008, online version
    Macedonian Truth Organisation
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Yes indeed.
    Why look at 1974 when we appear to have current references?
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Pelister
      • Sep 2008

Macedonia has been appearing on maps for centuries - but what interests me is that the topography (particularly in older maps) is constantly recorded in Macedonian.

Comment

• Venom
        • Sep 2008

This is all a conspiracy. England has joined the hidden American agenda to destroy greece.

They are working in conjunction with the saucer people and the reverse vampires.

...is what the Grci will say upon viewing this. Facts have no place in greece!
        S m r t - i l i - S l o b o d a

Comment

• Ellinas
          Banned
          • Oct 2008

Hi guys, I've been reading through this forum and thought I'd join

I don't want to disrespect anyone, I'm here to join the friendly debate

Anyway this is what Britannica says, so it shows that just because they have a map of your country saying plain 'Macedonia", it doesnt mean much

Geographical and historical treatment of North Macedonia, a country of the south-central Balkans, in the northern part of the geographical region traditionally known as Macedonia. It occupies about two-fifths of the entire geographical region of Macedonia. The rest of the region belongs to Greece and Bulgaria.

The people » Ethnicity and language
          Macedonia has inherited a complex ethnic structure. The largest group, calling themselves Macedonians (about two-thirds of the population), are descendants of Slavic tribes that moved into the region between the 6th and 8th centuries ad. Their language is very closely related to Bulgarian and is written in the Cyrillic script. Among the Macedonians, however, are significant minorities of much older settlers. The most numerous of these (more than one-fifth of the population) are the Albanians, who claim to be descendants of the ancient Illyrians. They are concentrated in the northwest, along the borders with Albania and Kosovo. Albanians form majorities in at least 3 of Macedonia’s 32 municipalities (especially Tetovo and Gostivar) and very significant minorities in 7 others. Another vestige of old settlement is the Vlachs, who speak a language closely related to Romanian. The majority of the Vlachs in the republic live in the old mountain city of Kruševo. The Turkish minority are mostly scattered across central and western Macedonia; they are a legacy of the 500-year rule of the Ottoman Empire. Also associated with this period are Roma (Gypsies) and people who report their ethnicity as Muslim.

In language, religion, and history, a case could be made for identifying Macedonian Slavs with Bulgarians and to a lesser extent with Serbs. Both have had their periods of influence in the region (especially Serbia after 1918); consequently, there are still communities of Serbs (especially in Kumanovo and Skopje) and Bulgarians.

P.S. I just want to add that the member you have who goes by the name of "Spartan" is not Greek, thats for sure lol. Maybe he was raised in Greece but he is not a Spartan or a Greek...I just want to confirm that with everyone

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

Ummm, Ellinas, I think Spartan might not be happy with your mind reading abilities.

Thanks for quoting the Brittanica.
            descendants of Slavic tribes that moved into the region between the 6th and 8th centuries ad. Their language is very closely related to Bulgarian and is written in the Cyrillic script
            I would say the Bulgarian language is closely related to Macedonian. You would think that since the language came from us ... well, it would be acknowledged as such. But we often scratch our heads at the treatment of Macedonians by historians of 100 years ago.
            Risto the Great

Comment

• Ellinas
              Banned
              • Oct 2008

No, your belief that Bulgarian came from you is false

Does that imply that all Slavic languages originated by you guys and are you also saying that the ancient Macedonians spoke the same Slavic language?

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Ellinas View Post
                No, your belief that Bulgarian came from you is false

Does that imply that all Slavic languages originated by you guys and are you also saying that the ancient Macedonians spoke the same Slavic language?
                Many texts prove otherwise about the Bulgarian acquisition of the slavic language of the Macedonian region. You cannot simply refute something without backing it up.

Who knows where the slavic language originated. The Veneti are documented as being very close by and spoke a proto slavic language from all accounts.

The ancient Macedonians spoke a language unintelligible to their southern neighbours. If it was slavic, it would be a pleasant reinforcement of the known fact that they spoke a language that was completely unintelligible to the various Hellenic tribes to the South.

Ellinas, your counters have been very lightweight so far. My warning to you is that you will be deleted soon for lack of meaningful dialogue. Think about your future contributions.
                Risto the Great

Comment

• Ellinas
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2008

I just want to make it clear that I'm not being rude or anything, all my questions are honest and are asked out of curiousity

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                  Many texts prove otherwise about the Bulgarian acquisition of the slavic language of the Macedonian region. You cannot simply refute something without backing it up.
                  Can you back this up with one site that isn't a Slav Macedonian source?

Who knows where the slavic language originated. The Veneti are documented as being very close by and spoke a proto slavic language from all accounts.
                  The Slavic language originated around Poland, Russia and the Ukraine...this is hardly debatable

The ancient Macedonians spoke a language unintelligible to their southern neighbours. If it was slavic, it would be a pleasant reinforcement of the known fact that they spoke a language that was completely unintelligible to the various Hellenic tribes to the South.
                  New Thread - All evidence, fully sourced and referenced, when possible, is most welcome.

I've also come across those quotes, can you counter those?

Ellinas, your counters have been very lightweight so far. My warning to you is that you will be deleted soon for lack of meaningful dialogue. Think about your future contributions.
                  I've done nothing wrong and my counters havent been lightweight because I can back up anything I claim with unbiased sources, I'm sorry to say but I dont think you can...I dont mean to be offensive

Comment

• Risto the Great
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Ellinas View Post
                    I've done nothing wrong and my counters havent been lightweight because I can back up anything I claim with unbiased sources, I'm sorry to say but I dont think you can...I dont mean to be offensive
                    Yet you chose not to back them up with unbiased sources. Instead you merely came here to provoke.

Enjoy your life away from the forum because you are now banned.

I don't mean to be offensive.
                    Risto the Great

Comment

• Spartan
                      • Sep 2008

That guy must of been Traveller
                      Why do they hate me Risto, WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!
                      lol

Comment

Working...
                      X