X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Philosopher
    • Sep 2008

The question of Koine and modern Macedonians

We all know that Alexander and the Macedonian aristocrats used Koine; we further know that even though Koine was already established in the Mediterranean world, Alexander's usage of it for his Empire made Koine even more important.

My question: Since the ancient Macedonians used Koine, do you think it fair and right for modern Macedonians to claim Koine equally to themselves, as do modern Greeks? This, of course, assumes that the Macedonians spoke a Slavic language family in everyday life, and not a varation of Greek. I do not believe the evidence undergirds that the Macedonians used Hellenic as the natural tongue.

In other words, does Koine belong just as much to Macedonians as it does to Greeks? In this sense, it would be wrong to argue that Koine was limited to Greek at all. And since many ethnic Macedonians used Greek, whether Koine or not, such as Aristotle, can not the Macedonians claim that Koine or the Hellenic used by the Macedonians, such as Aristotle, equally belongs to them?

I have read this argument or a variation thereof by Risto Stefov, when he argued that Koine is not Greek.
    Last edited by Philosopher; 10-09-2008, 10:19 PM. Reason: mistake
  • Dejan
    • Sep 2008

Was it in the book "Macedonian Revelation" ? Read this a while ago. Was a very interesting book
    You want Macedonia? Come and take it from my blood!

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

The DNA tests of late make it very clear that the native Macedonians of the region have a very definite claim on this language. Definitely by the same amount as any AlvanoVlachs etc of Greece.

The fact that a modern race (Greeks) adopted the language ahead of another does not give them any more reason to justify singular ownership. Particularly bearing in mind that it was a language of commerce during these times. In fact, (as he extends an olive branch to his Greek friends), perhaps it is a friendly reminder of the intertwining of our histories and may allow both our countries to move forward with mutual respect.
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Pelister
        • Sep 2008

Yes, but there is a major flaw.

The Greeks equate language with identity, and the other problem is that the ancient Macedonian language, has not yet been convincingly proven to have been something other, even though most of the evidence points to the fact that it was separate.

If you could show 1) that Koine was not Greek, and used widely by Macedonians, and 2) that the ancient Macedonian native language was not Greek -

I would say its "safe" to claim koine as Macedonian. Then again, there may be no harm in it either.

Comment

• Traveller
          Banned
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Pelister View Post
          Yes, but there is a major flaw.

The Greeks equate language with identity, and the other problem is that the ancient Macedonian language, has not yet been convincingly proven to have been something other, even though most of the evidence points to the fact that it was separate.
          If you could show 1) that Koine was not Greek, and used widely by Macedonians, and 2) that the ancient Macedonian native language was not Greek -

I would say its "safe" to claim koine as Macedonian. Then again, there may be no harm in it either.
          !!!??? I think that after the name problem gets solved, Greek instructors must roam your country and educate your people in history, because you make history out of your head...

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

I would keep Greek instructors out of Macedonia. They can even make a fresh Pontian feel Macedonian after a few years. It appears anything is possible.
            Risto the Great
            MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
            "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Pelister
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Traveller View Post
              !!!??? I think that after the name problem gets solved, Greek instructors must roam your country and educate your people in history, because you make history out of your head...

I think this calls for another thread - topic - Ancient Macedonian LANGUAGE !

The only people saying ancient Macedonian was 'Greek' are the New Greeks. But they would say that.

I mean look at these people. The Greek identity is so fkn weak, they have to attach the term 'Macedonian' to it - to actually give it some historical clout. That's because the name "Greek" just doesn't add up to hen poo.

Comment

Working...
              X