• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dimko-piperkata
    • Sep 2008

Macedonians protest against Greek military exercise

/01/10/ 17:58
    Around 30 Macedonians from the village of Ovcarani, northern Greece, staged protests in front of Greek military training site in the village of Zabrdeni urging the army to pull out of the area.

Shortly before 8 p.m. Tuesday, Macedonians set up roadblocks to avert a convoy of four military vehicles from deploying in the area.

The police and public prosecutor arrived at the site to negotiate with protesters. The locals left the site shortly before midnight.

They massed again on Wednesday to voice their discontent with intimidation by Greek army and the military exercise held near the villages populated with Macedonians.

Three special police units were dispatched at the site to thwart the protesters from entering the training site.
    1) Macedonians belong to the "older" Mediterranean substratum...
    2) Macedonians are not related with geographically close Greeks, who do not belong to the "older" Mediterranenan substratum...
  • Traveller
    Banned
    • Sep 2008

The Leopards drive through the fields and cause damages. The villagers also claim that they use in the artillery tests shells of depleted uranium (hard to believe it). The army had promised them 5 years ago that they would stop using this excersise field but ...lied.

Comment

• Venom
      • Sep 2008

Cradle of democracy my left bum cheek. Fucking idiots.
      S m r t - i l i - S l o b o d a

Comment

• Pelister
        • Sep 2008

The Macedonian culture hasn't been completely wiped out of modern Greece yet.

Some are grimly holding onto it, to the bitter end.

Comment

• Traveller
          Banned
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Pelister View Post
          The Macedonian culture hasn't been completely wiped out of modern Greece yet.

Some are grimly holding onto it, to the bitter end.
          This is not the case... In fact in the tv footage villagers were hugging with the policemen...

Comment

• Rogi
            • Sep 2008

That's likely Traveller. For example, in the Ovcharani panagir, there were quite a few policemen... some of them were Macedonians and were speaking Macedonian to the Macedonians.

Of course you'd be friendly when it's your Macedonian neighbour (and friend) or his son, etc.

The army was a different story.

Comment

• Pelister
              • Sep 2008

These kinds of Greek provocations actually have the effect of achieving the very opposite of the Greek strategy to entirely Hellenize the Macedonians.

The show of force, only brings Macedonians closer together, even if they can no longer speak a word of Macedonian, they know they are not historically, Greeks, but related to their Macedonian brothers, over the artificial border.

Comment

• Traveller
                Banned
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Pelister View Post
                These kinds of Greek provocations actually have the effect of achieving the very opposite of the Greek strategy to entirely Hellenize the Macedonians.

The show of force, only brings Macedonians closer together, even if they can no longer speak a word of Macedonian, they know they are not historically, Greeks, but related to their Macedonian brothers, over the artificial border.
                WHAT SHOW OF FORCE? The greek army has excersise fiels in hundreds of places around Greece. In every single place nearby villagers are protesting.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Traveller View Post
                  This is not the case... In fact in the tv footage villagers were hugging with the policemen...
                  Either that or knife them.
                  Given the tanks ... I'd go for a hug.
                  Risto the Great
                  MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                  "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Traveller
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                    Either that or knife them.
                    Given the tanks ... I'd go for a hug.
                    Haha that's not the case but i enjoy your sense of humour.

Comment

Working...
                    X