• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Delodephius
    • Sep 2008

Macedonianism

Anyone ever heard of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedon...eligious_group)

The Macedonians were a Christian sect of the 4th century AD, named after Bishop Macedonius I of Constantinople. They professed a belief similar to that of Arianism, but apparently denying the divinity of the Holy Spirit, and regarding the substance of Jesus Christ as being the same in kind as that of God the Father. They are regarded to have taught that the Holy Spirit was a creation of the Son, and a servant of the Father and the Son. This is what prompted the addition of “And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Giver of Life, Who proceedeth from the Father, Who with the Father and the Son is equally worshipped and glorified, Who spake by the Prophets,” into the Nicene Creed at the second ecumenical council. They were regarded as a heretical sect by the mainstream Church. The sect's members were also known as pneumatomachians, the “spirit fighters.”

Macedonius, and the Macedonians, held that God the Son was of "similar substance" (homoiousion) to God the Father, but not of the "same substance" (homoousion), which has come to be the accepted definition of Christian orthodoxy.

The Macedonians continued to support the Homoiousian creeds of Antioch and Seleucia and condemn the Homoian creeds of Ariminum and Constantinople,calling new synods to support their views and condemn their opponents.

The nature of the connection between the Macedonians and Bishop Macedonius I is unclear; most scholars today believe that Macedonius had died (around 360) before the sect emerged. The writings of the Macedonians have all been lost, and their doctrine is known mainly from refutations by church leaders. Two prominent 4th century saints, Athanasius of Alexandria and Basil of Caesarea, wrote polemics against Macedonianism (Letters to Serapion and On the Holy Spirit respectively).

Their teachings were formally condemned in 381 by the First Council of Constantinople. The Council responded to the theological challenge of the Macedonians by revising the Nicene Creed into present form used in the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox churches and prohibited any further alteration of the Creed without the assent of an Ecumenical Council. The Macedonian heresy was subsequently suppressed by the emperor Theodosius I.

Notable Macedonians

* Macedonius, bishop of Constantinople (342-346 and 351-360)
    * Cyril, bishop of Jerusalem (350-386)
    * Marathonius, bishop of Nicomedia (c. 351-?)
    * Eleusius, bishop of Cyzicus (c. 351-360)
    * Sophronius, bishop of Pompeiopolis (?-360)
    * Eustathius, bishop of Sebastia
    * Sabinus, bishop of Heraclea
    Last edited by Delodephius; 05-12-2009, 08:29 AM.
    अयं निज: परो वेति गणना लघुचेतसाम्।
    उदारमनसानां तु वसुधैव कुटुंबकम्॥
    This is mine or (somebody) else’s (is the way) narrow minded people count.
    But for broad minded people, (whole) earth is (like their) family.
  • makedonin
    • Sep 2008

I know of this for a long time.

Guess has nothing to do with Ethnic Macedonians but ain't sure.

More here:
    To enquire after the impression behind an idea is the way to remove disputes concerning nature and reality.

Comment

• Delodephius
      • Sep 2008

I figured out that too. But I found it interesting that there was a religious group called Macedonians.
      अयं निज: परो वेति गणना लघुचेतसाम्।
      उदारमनसानां तु वसुधैव कुटुंबकम्॥
      This is mine or (somebody) else’s (is the way) narrow minded people count.
      But for broad minded people, (whole) earth is (like their) family.

Comment

• makedonin
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Slovak/Anomaly/Tomas View Post
        But I found it interesting that there was a religious group called Macedonians.
        Yep it is interesting.

Macedonians = Heretics
        To enquire after the impression behind an idea is the way to remove disputes concerning nature and reality.

Comment

• Bratot
          • Sep 2008

I remember I read about this while ago, I even still keep the pictures from the book called "Christianity" Vol. something by Cambridge..

The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

Working...
          X